Dirty corners

mobilekiwi

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I have a Blue HTC 8X and I've noticed after a week the corners of the phone are really dirty and it's only been in my pockets. It's not like I have dirty pockets but the corners (all four) have started to stain black/dirty.

Is anyone else having this issue? Or am I just a filthy slob?

Cheers!

dharmababa

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I have a Blue HTC 8X and I've noticed after a week the corners of the phone are really dirty and it's only been in my pockets. It's not like I have dirty pockets but the corners (all four) have started to stain black/dirty.

Hmm, I noticed this on the yellow display model at AT&T but assumed it was just since so many people handled that. We have a Blue on its way so I hope its not a big issue... does it clean off?

baygacon

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes! I've had my Blue 8X for about a week and a half and all the corners have turned black. I hardly keep it in my pocket either - I hope it's not the colour wearing off!

Any idea how to clean it off?

mobilekiwi

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
One of the guys in another thread suggested this:

Some careful, gentle cleaning with a soft cloth moistened with a weak solution of soap and water should take care of it.

However, it didn't work for me. I sent my phone back to the retailer to get a Black replacement.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Weird. I'm a moderate phone user, the phone spends a couple hours a day in my jean front pocket. Nothing else in the pocket with the phone, of course. Interesting to see the photos on the other thread of the black marks.

baygacon

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
yeah it looks like it's stained into the plastic, rather than sitting on the surface. I don't like my chances of cleaning it off

I bought the Blue 8X because every phone I've owned has been black and I wanted to have something different, I guess this has been a lesson learnt!

Klaric

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Something seems strange with the actual streaking, a little too specific (I would think being in your pocket would produce a more even stain). I'm wondering if the phone has encountered excess heat or something? Can you confirm if the phone has been set on or around anything that puts off heat (laptop fan)?

Klaric

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Mr. Clean magic erasers, and you can easily pick these up in any grocery store or Walmart instead of waiting for an order to ship to your house. Although I would test a small area with it because it is a cleaner after all, it's made to be gentle so as not to remove wall paint and the like, but I know it strips the gloss off of the paint when I clean my home theater wall with it. Whether it's the chemicals or just a light sanding effect, I don't know.

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I got the MagiSponge Magic Erasers of Amazon. No Walmart in the UK....

I may end up cancelling the order in fact. Maybe I can get in a store of the weekend.

EDIT: Too late to cancel. Oh well. Hope it works :)

scumpuppy

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I have 2, both the same, all 4 corners discolouring and specs of none colour coming through as if the blue coating is wearing away! Wearing away? On corners you don't touch? After only 3/4 weeks use? That my friends is a defect and reason for a return and money back!

Ive raised a support ticket with HTC about this and will be ringing O2 to complain

Carmonkeyboy

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Seen this mentioned on XDA site also...appears that rubberised coting is coming off on corners. Mine is only one corner so far on Black 8X...yellow and blue also mentioned. Just reveals self colour plastic beneath, but that appears shiny instead of matt/satin. Others have suggested it is an HTC quality issue. As it is only cosmetic, not sure what HTC will do...if anything :crying:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Seen this mentioned on XDA site also...appears that rubberised coting is coming off on corners. Mine is only one corner so far on Black 8X...yellow and blue also mentioned. Just reveals self colour plastic beneath, but that appears shiny instead of matt/satin. Others have suggested it is an HTC quality issue. As it is only cosmetic, not sure what HTC will do...if anything :crying:

HTC hasn't done anything about this in over a year. Doubtful they'll do anything soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro