11-21-2013 11:50 PM
296 ... 9101112
tools
    Reception quality.
    Don't forget that when you travel and the phone is in your pocket, switching to Edge or GSM only will reduce the power consumption of your radio when it powers up to compensate for a bad signal. So when outside of an area with good 3G or LTE connectivity, you can save a lot of power by switching your connectivity manually.
    04-01-2013 05:05 PM
    ^
    How long have you been using your 8x now?
    These are really great stats - I don't think I'll ever get to 2 days with mine - even with light usage.
    In those two days, how many hours approx have you been doin sth with your 8x? Just asking so I could calculate what your battery drain per hour was in stand-by mode.
    04-01-2013 05:05 PM
    What's Active sync?

Btw., coolknight, following your fresh info on that trick when charging phone -> turning it off when full to charge more until its "fully charged" -> repeating that...well, it seems that my battery life really has improved i.e. battery meter is much better at showing battery draining at a slower/more natural rate, rather than previous 10%+ dips out of nowhere. I guess it still has a lot to do with wp and its every 30mins refreshing os policy which makes those battery left forecasts seem really ridiculous. Anyway, I wonder if I'll ever, when i turn off my phone when fully charged, get to see it turned back on but still with green light aka fully charged? I do that quite often when I'm charging my phone (when I'm not in a hurry) and repeat that process at least 3-4-5 times.

Still, I manage to get some good battery life days with my 8x, others not so good. Great seems to be out of question. Though when I tested it for video playback the other day - it went from 100% to 15% in 7hrs 20mins which I thought wasn't bad. Oh, and I have my 8x for 25 days now and battery has improved since those awful first days/week.
    04-01-2013 05:15 PM
    I use that battery widget too :)
    Anyway, when saying that you normally lose 2-3% of battery per hour - is that in stand by mode? With 3g+data turned on? You gotta be more specific than that.
    04-01-2013 05:16 PM
    Is it me or is battery life on the Nokia Lumia range horrific compared to any other WP8 phone?

I'm charging twice a day when i used to charge my iPhone 4s once a day with the same usage profile. Personally i think this is an OS and firmware issue around background tasks including radio/wifi/account sync/data management and particularly around 3rd party apps.

MS and the device OEMs need to sort this - battery life is the highest priority with mobile devices. Anyone else remember the old skool Nokias that would go days even with heavy use?
    I think the battery life is somewhat relative how everyone uses it. I personally use my wireless charger at work on my desk so I don't notice the battery drain that much but for the most part I'm satisfied with my battery life compared to other smartphones. My Lumia 920 is great...but my Lumia 810 is horrible. I don't know what the difference battery is but its definitely noticeable.
    04-01-2013 05:19 PM
    active sync is the protocol that allows your phone to communicate with Microsoft exchange. Commonly shortened to EAS.
    04-01-2013 06:24 PM
    Alright guys, I too have recently had awful battery life. I always have location on, 7 background tasks, Skype uninstalled, moderate usage, NFC off, Bluetooth off, Wifi and mobile data alternate depending on where I am, automatic backup and install updates both off, battery saver off, and one email account syncing as items arrive. With all of these settings, I still get 12.5%/hr!! Please help
    04-01-2013 09:44 PM
    Alright guys, I too have recently had awful battery life. I always have location on, 7 background tasks, Skype uninstalled, moderate usage, NFC off, Bluetooth off, Wifi and mobile data alternate depending on where I am, automatic backup and install updates both off, battery saver off, and one email account syncing as items arrive. With all of these settings, I still get 12.5%/hr!! Please help
    I don't know of your experience with the phone or what you have installed. But in the case of Skype you could safely use it. Skype is not doing data transfer in the background to eat your battery. Everything regarding Skype uses push notifications. So it never runs on your background. You may think that because you can get called it runs in the background but this is not true. When you receive a call on Skype you only receive a special case of push notifications that wakes up the app like in the case you use a toast notifications but you also touch the toast.

So Skype it's not a battery problem.
    Dadstar0410 likes this.
    04-01-2013 09:58 PM
    I'll tell you the apps that might be contributing:

Pandora
    Disqus*
    CNN*
    HTC*
    Photoplay
    Das Image*
    Internet Explorer
    Lock Buster*

*running in background
    04-01-2013 10:05 PM
    Well, after spending the better part of evening on the issue, I finally tracked down what was causing my suddenly poor battery performance. Yahoo Mail was constantly trying to synch. The only way I could get it to stop synching was turn cell and wifi off and delete the account. I tried to re-link the yahoo mail account and it still wouldn't synch. I finally just decided to switch from yahoo mail to Outlook temporarily. I'm going to check back in a week or so and see if the problem persists.
    04-02-2013 12:08 PM
    Well, after spending the better part of evening on the issue, I finally tracked down what was causing my suddenly poor battery performance. Yahoo Mail was constantly trying to synch. The only way I could get it to stop synching was turn cell and wifi off and delete the account. I tried to re-link the yahoo mail account and it still wouldn't synch. I finally just decided to switch from yahoo mail to Outlook temporarily. I'm going to check back in a week or so and see if the problem persists.
    That's an awesome observation! Hopefully that helps some other people out as well!
    04-02-2013 12:16 PM
    Just the other day I got over 48 hours of moderate usage out of it. Decided not to charge it overnight just to see how far I could go. Perhaps you got a lemon?
    04-02-2013 03:44 PM
    I realized that leaving your chat status Online drains battery. When I switched mine to off, I noticed a significant improvement in battery life. It was the first time I was able to go a full day in a while.
    04-03-2013 09:45 PM
    Odd i don't have any battery life problems
    04-04-2013 04:45 AM
    Hi guys,
    I understand that the battery is a hot topic here but I am almost at my wits end with my 8X. After installing the battery app, I get a message every 20 minutes warning me of the battery drain. With ONLY music playing and shutting off every single thing (nfc, bluetooth, wifi, data, gps, auto upload, sky drive, bkgrd apps, etc) the battery still drains at 4%. I sent the phone TWICE to wholesale wireless as part of the warranty and tested the battery twice. They claim that there is nothing wrong with the battery or hardware/software. Anyone have any tips? I spoke to an HTC rep who told me I should be getting at least a full day. I bought the phone with newegg in December but now it seems there's nothing much that could be done. First off, what do you guys think of the drain? Second, any recommendations? I erased/reset the phone, reinstalled skype/ whatsapp, and everything else I've seen on these forums. This has been happening pretty much since I bought the phone and it takes about 2 hours to charge. Sometimes not even to 100%
    04-06-2013 08:40 AM
    I just got my 8x so i am still getting a handle on my battery. I have a desk job so i just leave it plugged in most of the day when i steam music. When you are listening to music, is it through headphones or speaker? Are you streaming or is it on your device? Just doing the math, you are getting about 8.5 (well 8.3333 to be exact) hrs of playback time on your device, which doesn't seem like its to bad. What is your battery life like with everything turned on? Do you see any significant difference? I came from Android and many times I found that my battery tracking apps were the problem with my battery drain issue, but i am not sure if it is the same on WP.
    04-06-2013 09:29 AM
    I remember my battery being significantly worse with everything on. The thing is, I haven't factored in web browsing/ facebook and everything else that comes with normal phone use. If I take a call, it's worse. I listen to music through headphones. The battery tracking might just be the issue but the battery still wasn't great compared to what people on here have claimed they are getting (1+ days)
    04-06-2013 10:29 AM
    4% ever 20 minutes is over 8 hours of life

am I the only one who thinks that is entirely reasonable for playing music? what the **** are you guys expecting?
    jlzimmerman likes this.
    04-06-2013 11:41 AM
    If I do anything else with the phone I'm screwed.
    I'll admit I didn't take into account the math but this is still fairly light usage. I was told by an htc rep that I should be getting that much with heavy usage (data, bluetooth, web browsing). Again, I've seen people get over a day without charging and I'm wondering how that is possible
    04-06-2013 12:59 PM
    My battery life has been getting noticeably worse as I've had my phone. I do have the wireless charger, which I am starting to wonder if it ruins battery life over time?? I have NFC off and auto adjust screen on, but my battery is horrible. If I don't do anything with my phone it will last all day but if I want to use my phone for anything it completely depletes the battery. What can I do??
    04-06-2013 01:04 PM
    This seems like an issue with the battery, if everything is turned off(not the phone :P ), then you should be getting much more battery life. Try some app like Battery+ which show a consumption chart, if everything's fine, the battery must be defective.
    04-06-2013 01:05 PM
    Check apps running in the background. Block any that you can.
    Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express
    04-06-2013 01:09 PM
    The only apps running in my background are:

Astronomy lock screen
    battery level for WP8
    Here Drive Beta
    HTC
    IMDB
    MetroTube
    My Stocks Portfolio

That doesn't seem like a lot to me. Is this more than normal?
    04-06-2013 01:16 PM
    That seems like alot to me. I don't run anything in the background if possible.
    Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express
    04-06-2013 01:18 PM
    The only apps running in my background are:

Astronomy lock screen
    battery level for WP8
    Here Drive Beta
    HTC
    IMDB
    MetroTube
    My Stocks Portfolio

That doesn't seem like a lot to me. Is this more than normal?
    Here Drive Beta running in background will kill your battery life. And why do you need Metro Tube and IMBD running in background?
    palandri likes this.
    04-06-2013 02:21 PM
296 ... 9101112