11-21-2013 11:50 PM
296 12345 ...
tools
    Firmware 1532.20.10006.531 here
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express
    11-22-2012 07:50 AM
    I am genuinely gobsmacked by the response from HTC:

A normal days usage for a battery life is between 10-12 hours, I can see that you are currently getting around 15 hours, this is very good for a battery life.
    Apparently not being able to last a from dawn until dusk, despite not being used and with virtually everything switched off, is "very good".

11-22-2012 09:26 AM
    Does anyone's battery level show 100%? Mine always just charges to 99%, no matter what kind of charger I'm using. My battery life is pretty decent however.
    11-22-2012 10:38 AM
    I have two... both charge to 100%
    My Blue 8X has the following Firmware: 1532.20.10022.401
    My Black 8X has: 1532.20.10024.401
    The black one has a better battery life.
    We need a Firmware updater software from HTC.
    11-22-2012 10:53 AM
    Give it time im sure their will be a fix the devs on xda fix battery drain all the time on many devices so im sure htc or microsoft can figure it out. Sounds like the 99% battery issue is a HTC bug my Sensation did that too at first.
    Pikezer1337 likes this.
    11-22-2012 11:57 AM
    I'm on VZW and my firmware is more like 1532.20.10110 (sorry don't have phone on my at the moment)
    11-22-2012 12:12 PM
    Noticed the "Battery Level for WP8" app was updated yesterday and now has a historical graph view of battery level. Will be interesting to see some screenshots of it for various folks who have both good and bad battery life.

Battery Level for WP8 | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    11-22-2012 12:26 PM
    Hey, I just wanted to share my battery problems and the solution that worked for me. First, no tweaks had any effect on my horrible battery life. I have had my Htc 8x for a week now. I wouldnt even use the phone and it was dropping 15% an hour and getting hot in my pocket.

I use an exchange server, 6 pop email accounts and one gmail account, the same way I did on my htc trophy wp7 which worked great.

Other message boards hinted at gmail. That was it. Imap gmail account even only syncing email was killing my battery. I instead set up my gmail as an outlook account which forces it away from imap to pop. Use m.google.com as the server.

Since then my battery has been outstanding. I love this phone again. Hope this helps a few of you struggling.
    11-22-2012 04:35 PM
    Hey, I just wanted to share my battery problems and the solution that worked for me. First, no tweaks had any effect on my horrible battery life. I have had my Htc 8x for a week now. I wouldnt even use the phone and it was dropping 15% an hour and getting hot in my pocket.

I use an exchange server, 6 pop email accounts and one gmail account, the same way I did on my htc trophy wp7 which worked great.

Other message boards hinted at gmail. That was it. Imap gmail account even only syncing email was killing my battery. I instead set up my gmail as an outlook account which forces it away from imap to pop. Use m.google.com as the server.

Since then my battery has been outstanding. I love this phone again. Hope this helps a few of you struggling.
    I am getting my 8X tomorrow, and I need two Gmail accounts to be synced. (Synced so that I immediately receive the email).

Should I set it up through outlook right away when I get the phone?
    11-22-2012 04:53 PM
    Not trying to sound arrogant, but I have had my 8X for 4 full days, almost 5 and I have yet to have an issue. No syncing issues, good battery life, no reboots. I have the black 8x on Verizon.
    11-22-2012 05:18 PM

I have two Gmail accounts setup to sync everything and push messages as they arrive, using IMAP, and I do not have any battery issues.
    11-22-2012 05:41 PM
    Im getting six hours with absolutely everything turned off. I'm loving the phone and Windows Phone 8 both but this is unacceptable, hopefully this gets fixed but if not then there's no way I can do this.
    11-22-2012 07:12 PM
    It seems deleting Skype has made a HUGE difference!
    11-22-2012 10:03 PM
    my battery is doing 24 hours moderate use... which is ok
    I got mine on Monday, and this has been my experience thus far as well.
    11-22-2012 10:19 PM
    Well removing Skype won't give me 24 hrs but I might get 15 with moderate usage. Better than the 4 I was getting
    11-22-2012 10:21 PM
    I have Skype installed and running and am getting superb battery life - used about 21% of the charge in a 6 hour period. And yes it charged up to 100%.
    11-23-2012 12:28 AM
    I've done a factory reset on mine, installed nothing, and setup only a single email account - I'll see how it gets on today, but it's already dropped 8% in an hour just sat there doing nothing - no emails coming in, no messages, no music playing, no nothing. If more people could post their firmware versions and battery stats it would be useful (Settings, About, More Information).
    11-23-2012 01:53 AM
    I am using firmware version 10012.502 on ATT.

Right now I have 3 accounts being synced, all set to download email as it comes. I have everything turned on except for NFC, so BT, location services, etc. are always turned on. I have a few live tiles updating such as CNN, Amazing weather, battery level, etc.

Previously rebooting the phone seemed to improve my battery life and things started to degrade after a few days so I did the same test. The first screenshot is from last night, I fully charged the phone up until I was done using it for the night and then just let it sit overnight. The time period you see the battery dropping covers roughly 12 hours. So it dropped 56% in a span of 12 hours while not in use. It's constant so it's draining about 4.7% of battery per hour.

battery_before_reset.jpeg

I was a bit disappointed and rebooting the phone seemed to help before so I decided to do it again. So I just turned the phone off and back on, then charged it to 100% and once it was fully charged let it sit for a few hours. As you can see this time around it only drained 6% in around 3 hours. This is with the exact same settings.

battery_after_reset.jpeg
    11-23-2012 12:35 PM
    I have looked around at various reviews and they reference getting like 50 hours of pure standby time. I'm not really getting anywhere near that except when restarting the phone and not doing anything. I think some background processes just keep running once they are started. Doesn't matter if I turn off anything or not.
    11-23-2012 07:04 PM
    It does make a huge difference it seems, for me anyway, weather your charging from the mains or a computer. Charged from my xbox overnight the other day and the battery drained a lot faster than when from the mains.

Also found after a couple of complete drains and full recharges the battery improved vastly. It seems also to last longer from a full charge than from charging it from say 50%-full.
    11-23-2012 07:47 PM
    I use mine all day and charge it all night. No problems. No reboots.
    Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express
    11-23-2012 08:01 PM
    Yep, np here either. I easily get over 12 hours moderate use.
    11-23-2012 08:36 PM
    I am using firmware version 10012.502 on ATT.

Right now I have 3 accounts being synced, all set to download email as it comes. I have everything turned on except for NFC, so BT, location services, etc. are always turned on. I have a few live tiles updating such as CNN, Amazing weather, battery level, etc.

Previously rebooting the phone seemed to improve my battery life and things started to degrade after a few days so I did the same test. The first screenshot is from last night, I fully charged the phone up until I was done using it for the night and then just let it sit overnight. The time period you see the battery dropping covers roughly 12 hours. So it dropped 56% in a span of 12 hours while not in use. It's constant so it's draining about 4.7% of battery per hour.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battery_before_reset.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	172.4 KB 
ID:	23482

I was a bit disappointed and rebooting the phone seemed to help before so I decided to do it again. So I just turned the phone off and back on, then charged it to 100% and once it was fully charged let it sit for a few hours. As you can see this time around it only drained 6% in around 3 hours. This is with the exact same settings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battery_after_reset.jpeg 
Views:	10 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	23483
    How to explain the difference?
    11-23-2012 11:13 PM
    Does anyone's battery level show 100%? Mine always just charges to 99%, no matter what kind of charger I'm using. My battery life is pretty decent however.
    My blue AT&T 8X only charges to 99%. I have never seen 100% in 2 weeks.
    11-23-2012 11:15 PM
    Mine finally said 100% for a brief period. Not really a big deal for me. I can't really explain the difference in standby times before and after rebooting the phone since it's the same exact configuration. Like I said before my guess is background tasks which start up and keep running.

I am okay with putting the phone on the charger every night but it wasn't something I needed to do with my iPhone 4.
    11-24-2012 07:53 AM
296 12345 ...