State of the HTC 8x and its HORRIBLE battery

beachhoppr

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
OK so here are things I have noticed over a few weeks of dealing with the battery issues:
  1. Skype absolutely sucks the battery dry - removed
  2. All the weird tips don't really seem to matter much other than perhaps NFC off
  3. The battery actually does get better over time
  4. Moderate to low use regularly provides 20+ hours of time
  5. Heavy usage can drain the battery in a few hours
  6. The battery "appears" to drain quicker in the first 50% and then slows down in the 2nd 50%. I suspect this is what leads some people to think the battery is draining quick (myself included)

Last edited:

SaucePolicy

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi all! i just used 8X for one day...I don't know why it took to long to fully charged battery. How long does it take for charging battery?my iphone 5 just less than 1 hour to fully charged when i plugged into my macbook air

I think it depends on how you're charging it. I noticed when charging mine through USB attached to my PC charging was very slow. But when charging plugged in the wall, it was much faster, only taking about 2-3 hours to fully charge. The sticker on the charger cable that came with the phone says typical charge time is 4 hours.

fullcircle_bflo

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
The battery in this device seems fickle. Long charges and short life at first, but gets better with time. I get a full charge in about an hour and a half from completely discharged. Also I seem to be getting better life after a little more than a week with the phone.

Endem

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
turned off auto uploading of pictures to skydrive, as well as all of the data sent to microsoft and I'm getting pretty good battery life. as satisfied as I can be as a new windows phone user, especially after the Portico update (mostly because of the wifi on lockscreen issue that was moronic).

nana_2012

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
i just got an htc windows 8x phone on christmas eve...man oh man the battery life sucks big time i charged my battery to the fullest yesterday went to work to listen to music and texted a few people when i got home 6hrs later my battery life was almost gone are u kidding me they built this great phone charged an arm and a leg for it and they screw up on the battery life...i guess they got the smurfs for the battery cause it sucksssss....

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
i just got an htc windows 8x phone on christmas eve...man oh man the battery life sucks big time i charged my battery to the fullest yesterday went to work to listen to music and texted a few people when i got home 6hrs later my battery life was almost gone are u kidding me they built this great phone charged an arm and a leg for it and they screw up on the battery life...i guess they got the smurfs for the battery cause it sucksssss....

You have to drain the battery in full first before charging it. After that you need to install the portico update which significantly improves battery life.

_basTi

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm proud of my 8X.

4d without charging ... (but most time in power saving mode)
About 20min usage a day.

I know not the normal usecase but still ... 4 Days! :D

Attachments

• wp_ss_20121230_0002.png
    wp_ss_20121230_0002.png
    81.8 KB · Views: 11

Rich3S

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I've been with my 8X now since x-mas and the battery life for me has been very good. I'm not a crazy user, but I do put the phone through it's paces throughout the day. I work out on the road and I'm constantly txt'ing, using navigation, taking pictures, listening to podcasts, etc... And by the time I get home I usually have about 40-50% battery left. In my 1 week of ownership, I've only had to charge the phone 1 time before I went to sleep. And that only time was when I was on the phone non-stop all day because I had just gotten it.

Compared to all my previous android phones, and my most recent galaxy nexus, the 8X has a good bit better battery life than all those did. I don't know if most of you guys have unrealistic expectations, or have 17 different things running at once all day long, but in my experience with pretty good every day use, my battery life has been better than expected

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
My battery life has been very good until this past week I installed a few things and now I need to go back and figure out what is having the negative affect on battery life. Its not horrible, but not like it was. Where I can go say 8 hours of being on and used very little (a few texts, small bit of internet use over wifi, etc), I'd expect to have a good 90% remaining and now I'm probably seeing closer to 70%. My Stock Tracker, Amazing Weather, and Skype are my current best guesses...

YCSMD

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Try updating Skype and seeing if that helps. Currently seems to be but I havent had much time to really gauge. Do you use push email; try setting to every 15 minutes?

Those are the two that I have done and they MAY be helping so far. All other things I tried had unnoticeable effects.

Lean4838

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I live in the Philippines and I have an unlocked 8X California Blue. My battery life is quite good actually. Below is what I did today:

• 6 AM - Started the day with 100% fully charged
  • 9 AM - 12 PM - Downloaded a lot of games. Medium brightness and Wifi was always on because I dowloaded about 10 - 15 games the whole time (our internet here in the Philippines is very slow :(
  • 1 PM - 4 PM - My friend played ALL the games I downloaded. He has an 8S and was testing the games I downloaded so he can download those he liked on his. I also demoed Maps for about 10 minutes with GPS turned on. Brightness was still medium.
  • 6 PM - Got home and had about 20% battery left. Charged it.

Considering the things I did, I am happy with the battery life on my 8X :grin:

Westiemom

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I've only had my 8X for 3 days but the battery life has been surprisingly good. And that's with messing with it pretty much constantly getting it set up, etc. I took it off the charger yesterday morning about 7:30 and at 9:00 last night I still had about 30% . For a new phone that I seldom put down I didn't think that was bad. Had the screen set on full brightness and no battery saving feature turned on. I'm coming from a Galaxy Nexus that had horrible battery life even after I got an extended battery for it. I regularly had to charge it at work by mid-afternoon. Anyway, so far I'm happy with the battery life. The Fatboy charging pillow worked great last night too - didn't use it the first night. (Verizon employee edition 8X)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb