State of the HTC 8x and its HORRIBLE battery

pvtpyle75

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Battery help needed

Just thought I would tag onto this thread regarding a battery issue I'm having. I have an 8X on Verizon (work) and T-Mobile (personal). Both have a similar setup, my work phone has less installed in general as it is mostly for work emails and phone calls.

Both have battery sense installed so I can display how much battery is left. Now the funny think is that when I pull them off the charger my work phone 'appears' to drain much faster than my personal phone. So here is where things get strange. If I turn off my work phone and turn it back on, the battery percentage (battery sense and in the system settings) will jump back up (basically resetting the stat).

So for example: I pull both phones off the charger at the same time before going to bed. My T-Mobile phone will say 95% in the morning and my Verizon will say about 85%. So about half way through the day my T-Mobile phone is at about 80% as I hardly use during a work day and my Verizon is at 60% under light usage. I turn off the Verizon phone and turn it back on and now the battery percentage jumps from 60% remaining to about 75%.

This seems like a big deal as battery saver (if on) would turn on too early (stopping my emails from coming through).

Has anyone else had this happen to them. If you think about it, try turning your phone off and back on during the day and see if it changes

rocking23nf

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

im wondoring if LTE is the drain for me, im at 58% today after 4 hours off the charger, 1 hour was listining to music, other 3 were idle just syncing with active sync.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

im wondoring if LTE is the drain for me, im at 58% today after 4 hours off the charger, 1 hour was listining to music, other 3 were idle just syncing with active sync.

LTE is murder on my 920. I get two days and change on a charge when I'm not in an LTE area, and about 6 hours when it's on LTE. I wish it were easier to disable - AT&T blocked the option to turn it off like the jerks they are so I have to go into Field Test Mode to do it manually. Luckily LTE isn't available in my area and hopefully won't be until devices are better at power management.

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

LTE is murder on my 920. I get two days and change on a charge when I'm not in an LTE area, and about 6 hours when it's on LTE. I wish it were easier to disable - AT&T blocked the option to turn it off like the jerks they are so I have to go into Field Test Mode to do it manually. Luckily LTE isn't available in my area and hopefully won't be until devices are better at power management.

I have a Sunday morning job where the building I work in absolutely kills my battery on my 920 due to the LTE/4g/Edge that it's always trying to find. The building is so dense that, depending on where you're standing, you can be on any one of those networks, but none of them are strong. It will kill my battery in under 5 hours with absolutely no use. From 100% down to dead. It's amazing. I have to carry an external charger with me and keep it in my pocket if I'm working on the stage just to keep the phone charged. It's crazy.

Otherwise, when working from my home or just being out and about, I get a full day with light use and have 50% or so left by the end of the day.

pvtpyle75

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site

dropped 14% in last 2 hours with LTE turned off and not using the device.

See my post above about the phone not calculating battery correctly. Example for today. I took my phone off the charger at 10:00 pm last night. At 7:00 am my phone said it was at 67% battery (no use over night). I turned off the phone and turned it back on and the result was that the battery said I was now at 95% - A huge difference. Now at 7:00 pm with light usage today I'm at 70%. So I gained 20-30% (by the phones calculation of battery percentage) just by turning it off and on. Based on this I could easily get 2 days. As soon as I plug it back in the charger I have the same problem.

David Van Winkle

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: HTC 8x battery life is horrible

OKAY IMA STOP U RIGHT THERE u NEVER...EVER charge a li-po battery for more than 30min after it is fully charged THAT KILLED THE LI-PO CELLS I KNOW THIS AS I HANDEL LI-POS EVERYDAY BECAUSE OF MY HOBBY, so u might have already killed the battery if not it will soon be. so DONT CHARGE IT OVER NIGHT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD U RUINED IT BY YOURSELF and also turn yourphone off everynight it gives the battery a breather, also never charge it when the back of the phone is warm as this will also kill it, try not to use it when it is charging (VERY IMPORTANT), and the reason for this is because when it is hot that means it is discharging quickly and if u r to plug it in when it is it is discharging fast it will be charging at the same time, NOT GOOD THIS WILL ALWAYS DECREASE BATTERY LIFE

finiterex

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site

So would it not most likely be that, like most LIPO charging systems, once charged and still plugged in the device goes into bypass mode so as not to overcharge (potentially causing the LIPO to overheat and explode)?

Mike Waechter

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

OKAY IMA STOP U RIGHT THERE u NEVER...EVER charge a li-po battery for more than 30min after it is fully charged THAT KILLED THE LI-PO CELLS I KNOW THIS AS I HANDEL LI-POS EVERYDAY BECAUSE OF MY HOBBY, so u might have already killed the battery if not it will soon be. so DONT CHARGE IT OVER NIGHT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD U RUINED IT BY YOURSELF and also turn yourphone off everynight it gives the battery a breather, also never charge it when the back of the phone is warm as this will also kill it, try not to use it when it is charging (VERY IMPORTANT), and the reason for this is because when it is hot that means it is discharging quickly and if u r to plug it in when it is it is discharging fast it will be charging at the same time, NOT GOOD THIS WILL ALWAYS DECREASE BATTERY LIFE

You're recommending to not charge a phone overnight? Seesh, please sir don't use your phone and expect to use it the morning... I fully understand your point but it's not realistic and it's definitely not what the market is doing.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site

Most modern Li-poly battery chargers have controls build in to avoid overcharging. Nothing wrong at all with plugging in your phone and charging it up at night. And it makes it last longer if you not run it down as there are limited charging cycles to lithium batteries.

rocking23nf

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

my battery life has doubled since moving from exchange server 2003 to exchange 2010, i have it set to push, and i get around 200 emails a day.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site

Read my battery tips. I added a new point on calibrating the battery 100% counter.

There are a lot of good tips in there. But, I am really impress with my 8X battery life and hardly do any of those battery saving measures. I use my phone a lot and it's always near me. Of course, I watch my background tasks and turn of those I don't really use, but I have about 10 on. I always have Wi-Fi on (even when screen off), 4G data, FB and FB chat, three email accounts (Google, Outlook, and an Imap/exchange) and I get 40-60 emails a day. I also keep NFC on all the time because my wife and I use it some, but really because I have not seen any significant difference in battery life, regardless of what some people claim. My brightness is set to auto and my screen is set to go off after a minute. I do lots of texting (2000+ a month). I don't use things like WhatsApp or Skype or Kik.

So, with all that, I an pretty easily go a whole day from 0600-10:00PM and still have an average of 20% battery. My wife has an 8X and it gets better battery life than her IPhone 4S. My 8X is better than the 822 I had.

I know, some people have trouble with battery drain issues and it is really a mystery that different devices seem to have significantly different battery lives and some 8X's can't last a whole day with average use. Personally, I want to use the default features of my phone without worrying about battery life, and with the 8X, I can. Believe me, I know about bad battery life. I had a Palm Pre/Pre 2. Hahahaha

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

Battery life also has to do with reception (signal) quality. Depending where you live, you need more or less fine tuning.

Danijel B

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site

I'd say it's a driver problem... my battery, when fully charged, drops to 90-95% within hour or two, without any use, wifi, sync etc . After it drops below 90% i can use phone whole day, talking, browsing, internet radio, messaging

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site

I thought I'd add, make sure nfc is off....

@Danijel B, that's how all battery meters work. Your phone will never, ever charge to 100%, it's HORRIBLE for the battery, so your phone will say 99% or whatever, and then when you disconnect it, it will quickly discharge to 90-ish percent. Your battery should never actually be at 100%.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site

I thought I'd add, make sure nfc is off..

Certainly, if you don't use NFC, you can turn it off and logically, it will save some battery. However, I haven't seen, here on forums or in my personal experience, that NFC really drains the battery. Has anyone actually tested this because I have had it both on and off all day and can't see a difference in battery life. The reason I have it on is because I use it to exchange things with my wife's 8X or yes, I would turn it off.

I will argue that pulling emails (versus push emails) will drain battery and apps like Skype and Whatsapp will also drain it quicker. I don't know about a bad driver. Does WP use drivers like Windows?

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site

I bought my 8x on March 15th, and my battery has been phenomenal. For instance, on Saturday night, I only charged my phone to like 85%, and haven't charged it since. It's at 54% right now, and that's with usage of Metrogram and bing searches. The only thing that I've witnessed to rape my battery is navigation, but that's expected in my opinion. I also wake up several times in the evening (just because), and if I see my phone has a green light, I take the charger out. Too afraid it will overcharge.

Sorry to those who are experiencing bad battery life.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon