State of the HTC 8x and its HORRIBLE battery

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Well, after spending the better part of evening on the issue, I finally tracked down what was causing my suddenly poor battery performance. Yahoo Mail was constantly trying to synch. The only way I could get it to stop synching was turn cell and wifi off and delete the account. I tried to re-link the yahoo mail account and it still wouldn't synch. I finally just decided to switch from yahoo mail to Outlook temporarily. I'm going to check back in a week or so and see if the problem persists.

That's an awesome observation! Hopefully that helps some other people out as well!

Matthew Nicoletti

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Just the other day I got over 48 hours of moderate usage out of it. Decided not to charge it overnight just to see how far I could go. Perhaps you got a lemon?

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I realized that leaving your chat status Online drains battery. When I switched mine to off, I noticed a significant improvement in battery life. It was the first time I was able to go a full day in a while.

Moralz

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
4% Battery Drain Every 20 Minutes?!?!

Hi guys,
I understand that the battery is a hot topic here but I am almost at my wits end with my 8X. After installing the battery app, I get a message every 20 minutes warning me of the battery drain. With ONLY music playing and shutting off every single thing (nfc, bluetooth, wifi, data, gps, auto upload, sky drive, bkgrd apps, etc) the battery still drains at 4%. I sent the phone TWICE to wholesale wireless as part of the warranty and tested the battery twice. They claim that there is nothing wrong with the battery or hardware/software. Anyone have any tips? I spoke to an HTC rep who told me I should be getting at least a full day. I bought the phone with newegg in December but now it seems there's nothing much that could be done. First off, what do you guys think of the drain? Second, any recommendations? I erased/reset the phone, reinstalled skype/ whatsapp, and everything else I've seen on these forums. This has been happening pretty much since I bought the phone and it takes about 2 hours to charge. Sometimes not even to 100%

Mitchell Hayden

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: 4% Battery Drain Every 20 Minutes?!?!

I just got my 8x so i am still getting a handle on my battery. I have a desk job so i just leave it plugged in most of the day when i steam music. When you are listening to music, is it through headphones or speaker? Are you streaming or is it on your device? Just doing the math, you are getting about 8.5 (well 8.3333 to be exact) hrs of playback time on your device, which doesn't seem like its to bad. What is your battery life like with everything turned on? Do you see any significant difference? I came from Android and many times I found that my battery tracking apps were the problem with my battery drain issue, but i am not sure if it is the same on WP.

Moralz

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

I remember my battery being significantly worse with everything on. The thing is, I haven't factored in web browsing/ facebook and everything else that comes with normal phone use. If I take a call, it's worse. I listen to music through headphones. The battery tracking might just be the issue but the battery still wasn't great compared to what people on here have claimed they are getting (1+ days)

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

4% ever 20 minutes is over 8 hours of life

am I the only one who thinks that is entirely reasonable for playing music? what the **** are you guys expecting?

Moralz

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

If I do anything else with the phone I'm screwed.
I'll admit I didn't take into account the math but this is still fairly light usage. I was told by an htc rep that I should be getting that much with heavy usage (data, bluetooth, web browsing). Again, I've seen people get over a day without charging and I'm wondering how that is possible

snowwake8

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
HTC 8x warm and Battery life horrible

My battery life has been getting noticeably worse as I've had my phone. I do have the wireless charger, which I am starting to wonder if it ruins battery life over time?? I have NFC off and auto adjust screen on, but my battery is horrible. If I don't do anything with my phone it will last all day but if I want to use my phone for anything it completely depletes the battery. What can I do??

Vaibhav Chauhan

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site

This seems like an issue with the battery, if everything is turned off(not the phone :p ), then you should be getting much more battery life. Try some app like Battery+ which show a consumption chart, if everything's fine, the battery must be defective.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: HTC 8x warm and Battery life horrible

Check apps running in the background. Block any that you can.
Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

snowwake8

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site

The only apps running in my background are:

Astronomy lock screen
battery level for WP8
Here Drive Beta
HTC
IMDB
MetroTube
My Stocks Portfolio

That doesn't seem like a lot to me. Is this more than normal?

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site

That seems like alot to me. I don't run anything in the background if possible.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site

The only apps running in my background are:

Astronomy lock screen
battery level for WP8
Here Drive Beta
HTC
IMDB
MetroTube
My Stocks Portfolio

That doesn't seem like a lot to me. Is this more than normal?

Here Drive Beta running in background will kill your battery life. And why do you need Metro Tube and IMBD running in background?

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
That seems like alot to me. I don't run anything in the background if possible.

How do you get your apps' Live Tiles to work then?

And the # of background apps does not kill battery unless a specific app is known to cause battery drain. If you have normal-running apps in the background, your battery life shouldn't be affected since Windows Phone 8 is designed to have background apps.

Last edited:

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
For what it's worth, I haven't charged my phone in 36 hours and I have 49% battery left. I have used USA Today multiple times, Metrogram, Bing, email, texting, and calls. Apps running in background is just HTC and nothing else; several times a day I hit the back button to "clear" all running apps, so that the start screen is the only thing present when you hold "back".

rich4A1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I've had my 8X from T-Mobile since February, and the battery life has been ok, easily 36 hers with no problem. However, I don't know what exactly happened, since yesterday, the battery runs out in like 9 hours. I think there was an app update, but I don't remember which one. Nothing else to my knowledge. Anyone else has similar issue?

jedibeckett1

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I've had my 8X from T-Mobile since February, and the battery life has been ok, easily 36 hers with no problem. However, I don't know what exactly happened, since yesterday, the battery runs out in like 9 hours. I think there was an app update, but I don't remember which one. Nothing else to my knowledge. Anyone else has similar issue?
i get that a lot, some times i get great battery life then some days only about 9 hrs, so far i think it might be location service, so i have been keeping it turned off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel