State of the HTC 8x and its HORRIBLE battery

beachhoppr

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
So of course I have tried every trick posted to save battery. I have swapped out the phone a couple of times and here is my conclusion: the battery life sucks which is a shame because it contradicts the while point of WP and its live tiles. Here is what I do know:

1. If the phone sits idle with every possible thing off I get about 8-10hrs

2. If I use the phone in any moderate way (some twitter, texting, check FB, things like that) I'm lucky to get 4-5 hrs

3. If I USE the phone (some games, new app installs, etc) forget it I might as well not bother

So basically to use the phone, live apps off, location services off and do nothing interesting with it

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

hipporama

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
How long have you owned the phone? It usually takes about 2 weeks for the battery to get calibrated. It should improve with time.
Sent from my {Lumia 800} using Board Express

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Have you also turned off nfc? Doing that on my handset resulted in a huge increase in battery life. Previously, I was getting barely nine hours, but now I'm getting twice that.

sibrecat

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Got to agree my phone battery improved turning NFC off & making sure i closed apps properly if i didn't need them running in the background

beachhoppr

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Yeah NFC off was one of the first things I did. I am down 25% in 45 min this morning with moderate usage.

I'm not sure I buy that the battery improves over time. I'd love to hear others experiences.

Agpe17

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I also have fantastic battery life on my 8X. I go from about 6:30 am to 3:00 pm, and I still have about 50% left.

Moderate usage (texting, emails, checking news).

beachhoppr

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I find all of you whose batteries are actually providing good times annoying lol

I've been working with @winphonesupport and @tmobile to figure this out

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Seems as if you got a dud. Good battery life here. I actually ran mine to empty last night. Lasted from about 3pm to 1130pm with a little over moderate use on purpose. Alot of surfing and videos, streaming music on iheart radio, taking videos of my daughter, shot about 30 pics of my dogs and kid. I did alot in 8hours. So imagine if I'm not doing so much? On average I get about 15 hours. Not great, but better than normal. Better than any android. Better than my 920 that is collecting dust.
Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Damn, that sucks. Do you have a magnet or something around you? lol. I kid! But at that point, I understand your frustration. Want to buy a 920 from me? Lol.

JimboJones2268

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Modern batteries don't get better with time. The 8X has the worst battery I have experienced in some time. My observations are that my Lumia 900 gives me about double the life, my RAZR i (yes, an Android phone) gives me over 3 times as much life.

The modern chipset in the 8X should be capable of idling with almost no battery drain for many hours. Indeed, it does so in the tens of Android phones that use the same hardware. I very much doubt a hardware issue here, it feels more like software though it is worth noting that the screen on the 8X is probably a complete battery hog just like the very similar screen on the One X.

To offer some comparisons, my 8X from full charge at 8am one morning will be dead by about 10pm on a typical day. My Lumia 900 will last until about 6pm the following day - another full work day. My RAZR i will last at least two full days and will head into the third with a good 20% battery left. I have very similar setups on each of these devices and I have switched off NFC on all that have it.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it was just snake oil but I found turning the phone off and back on from when I first unboxed it made a big difference. I was getting terrible battery life as well. I did a test a few nights ago and fully charged it and after about 10 hours of just sitting it was down to 40%. Restarted the phone and did the same test the next night and only dropped to 85%. Same config. I do have NFC disabled but always have.

beachhoppr

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I've also noticed at full charge it never says 100%...just 99. The battery blows big time. Unsure of what I'm going to do other than swap it for an 810 since I can buy extra batteries :/

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Well I just did a good battery run - basically 18 hours between charges and it was at 32% when I plugged it back in. That is quite nice battery life.

Agpe17

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I've also noticed at full charge it never says 100%...just 99. The battery blows big time. Unsure of what I'm going to do other than swap it for an 810 since I can buy extra batteries :/

That's such a bummer about your phone man. Again, I think it's device-specific. MAJORITY of people have been reporting great battery life. I haven't turned off LTE since I got my 8x, and the only real "battery saver" I've done is turn off NFC and location until needed.

I get a full day (and then some) out of this. MUCH better than my 4S prior, and on par with a majority of phones I've had (and I've had a lot!) I consider it fantastic considering the live tiles and updates!

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Mine also never says 100% it's not a problem.

MojoHand69

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
So far so good with my battery. I am coming from the HTC Thunderbolt which could barely make it 6hrs with moderate use. Because of this I got into the habit of keeping chargers at home, work and in the car so that it was always being charged. I've not had to do that with the 8X and I'm able to get 12hrs of use easy. My battery does charge to 100% and I have switched off NFC.

sravanv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Mine also never says 100% it's not a problem.

Same with mine! It only says 99% never goes to 100...and to be honest I haven't been impressed with battery life either. I'll see how it does today...on wifi most of the day with moderate use from 7 30 AM to 6 PM. I'm at 88% as of 8 21 AM! Gahhh...

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It certainly sounds like you've had bad unit luck. I can attest that the 8X battery does get better over time. I plug mine in to charge every night between 10:00 and 11:30 PM, and take it off the charger at 5:00 AM the next morning. The first night I owned it, I plugged it in with somewhere between 10 and 20% charge (closer to 10% than 20%) and the battery saver had been activated. The next night, it was in the 20%s, and each night after that it's been in the 30%s. As far as usage is concerned, I'm a fairly heavy texter and emailer (I'm in IT and my corporate Exchange account syncs on my 8X; our help desk software creates a LOT of emails). The calendar also syncs with my Exchange server, and I use the Facebook and NextGen Reader apps moderately. I use OneNote for note taking a bit (largely using voice commands) and I take a few pictures here and there. So I'm not a "light user".

You know, for whatever that's worth. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3