06-05-2013 08:13 PM
150 ... 3456
tools
    Seems a bit odd and regular to be pocket dirt/dye transfer if you ask me. Especially the lines down the back on the one posted earlier in the thread.

LCM = Liquid Crystal Module

Seems plausible but the fluid would have to penetrate the polycarbonate beneath the coating to show.
    12-03-2012 08:59 PM
    Seems a bit odd and regular to be pocket dirt/dye transfer if you ask me. Especially the lines down the back on the one posted earlier in the thread. LCM = Liquid Crystal Module Seems plausible but the fluid would have to penetrate the polycarbonate beneath the coating to show.
    I am far from an expert, but there is no way any liquid from inside the phone is causing the staining. What's happening is that the soft touch coating is coming in contact with something(s) exterior. The soft touch coating was a bad idea for a cell phone. It WILL wear out in places, and rather quickly. It was a worse idea than Apple deciding to paint andonized aluminum on the iPhone 5. It will look crappy in weeks/months.
    12-03-2012 09:34 PM
    I have an HTC Trophy which has soft touch coating and has been remarkably durable for 1.5 years. Not a single scratch or mark on it, does not hold on to dirt either.
    brmiller1976 likes this.
    12-04-2012 03:04 AM
    It would be interesting to know how many of you bought yours around launch day versus how many of you bought yours within say the last week or so.
    I bought mine as soon as it was released (import from UK) and I believe it's from the first batch. At least the corners aren't getting any blacker :/
    morpheus1982 likes this.
    12-04-2012 04:08 AM
    I bought mine as soon as it was released (import from UK) and I believe it's from the first batch. At least the corners aren't getting any blacker :/
    LOL true. Did I mention that me Double Shock case has the same issue?
    12-04-2012 04:18 AM
    Folks...alcohol based hand sanitizer gel and clothe helped clean up my corners quite well. If i could be bothered right now i would keep going.

It just cuts through the grime to restore the blue colour.
    12-04-2012 04:32 PM
    It was cool to have some "before and after" photos :)

Folks...alcohol based hand sanitizer gel and clothe helped clean up my corners quite well. If i could be bothered right now i would keep going.

12-05-2012 03:33 AM
    It was cool to have some "before and after" photos :)
    I need to do a better job and don't have the time at the moment. Also, I do not think it will restore is completely.

Have a try.

I got the tip from the Lumia 920 forum.
    12-05-2012 03:42 AM
    Mine is not dirty yet, after around 2 weeks from purchase, but I'm preparing for the worse. So I'm keeping an eye on you guys.
    Hope you will have a clean phone soon :) Fingers crossed !

I need to do a better job and don't have the time at the moment. Also, I do not think it will restore is completely.

Have a try.

I got the tip from the Lumia 920 forum.
    12-05-2012 03:48 AM
    Im sorry to say this to all you owners, but it isnt dirt, and it isnt something you can clean

Its clear to see that aswell as the area's getting darker you can also see that small grains of clour are coming off!.. I have seen 5 HTC 8 X's in the last few days that friends and family all own, they are all exactly the same, and this is after one month! can you imagine it after 6 or 12 months!???

Would you find this acceptable buying any other product that after one month the corners which were nicely coloured when new are now darkening and there are speccles of colour coming away?

To me its totally unacceptable and you cant tell me HTC did not see this when doing their extensive pre-production stress testing, it would have gone down as a known issue pre-production which if youd ont know all products have, someone would have signed off on it being an acceptable issue and to continue production

its ridiculous!

I have replaced both of mine for Nokia's now, and even if you dont think it now (after ONE month), I guarantee each and everyone of you will want to complain and get it replaced in the months ahead, unfortunately you only get 28 days to get it replaced with yoru carrier under the fault replacement promise, so i would urge you all to get rid asap and get a different phone that doesnt have a colour defect!

Anyone that says it hasnt got a colour defect, come back here in 6 months and tell me you still cant see it.. its very clear it has!
    tissotti likes this.
    12-05-2012 09:34 AM
    So would this be a problem if I got a case? Not like it would matter since no one would be able to see it, but still.
    12-05-2012 12:24 PM
    So would this be a problem if I got a case? Not like it would matter since no one would be able to see it, but still.
    It won't get dirty if the problem is not coming from the phone. I'm curious what's causing the color wash/dirt.
    As soon as I find a cheap place to get the HTC Genuine Case, I'm buying it. However my country has no cases for 8X... Damn Romania!
    12-05-2012 12:51 PM
    Im HOPING that my blue wears off so I can have a black T-mo 8X!!!
    12-05-2012 12:57 PM
    My 2 weeks old blacky looks brand new
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express
    12-05-2012 02:44 PM
    Wow .. another user from Romania ! Salut !
    Do you happen to have it from Orange ? The blue one ?

It won't get dirty if the problem is not coming from the phone. I'm curious what's causing the color wash/dirt.
    As soon as I find a cheap place to get the HTC Genuine Case, I'm buying it. However my country has no cases for 8X... Damn Romania!
    12-06-2012 02:54 AM

Thanks that's good to know. I will give this a shot!
    12-06-2012 03:49 AM
    I have exactly the same problem!!!! is it grounds to ask my carrier for a replacement?
    12-06-2012 05:44 AM
    I ordered my HTC Doubleshot Hard Shell and my black 8X from Clove in the UK. I live in Mexico and the prices were great. Try to find one online with a good price.
    ImAdrian23 likes this.
    12-07-2012 06:54 PM
    This is a common problem for first-batch HTC phones, unfortunately. The One X with the special metallic coating also suffered from similar issues, until HTC fixed the problems in the factory. Early Trophy phones also had the same issue.

If your 8X is staining within such a short time period, you should take it back to the store or call HTC and get a new one.
    12-08-2012 01:17 PM
    Wow I hadn't realised this was a problem, I quite fancied this phone but in black (boring old me) so I guess it wouldn't be a problem for me.
    You can always rely on WPCentral's forum users to scrutinise every device that's for sure.

The corners don't go sort of shiny do they? That would show up even on the black and while not
    a major problem it would annoy me.
    12-09-2012 05:28 AM
    It's not getting dirty. I've had a HTC trophy for over a year and no dirt at all. If the phone was getting dirty it should easily come off.

No, this is a defect in the coating either too thin or too porous... HTC should replace the affected phones.
    12-09-2012 12:16 PM
    Contacted HTC and sending them the pictures in first post.
    12-10-2012 03:48 AM
    Contacted HTC and sending them the pictures in first post.
    Thanks! Let us know what they say!
    12-10-2012 06:01 AM
    They want me to be without a phone for 5 working days, and potentially get charged. Pah!

Dear ....,

Thank you for contacting HTC regarding your HTC Windows 8X.

My name is Eleanor and I am a Technical Support Agent for the HTC Written Team.

I’m sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulties with your device going black.

We have looked into this for you, we will need to bring your device in for a repair.

I am sorry that your device is not in a perfect condition at this time. I would like to arrange for your phone to be repaired in our UK Repair Centre. Please read the following instructions carefully. By proceeding with the repair you agree to the terms and conditions of the repair service.

During repair, we will install the latest software as part of the diagnosis and testing phase. All the data from the phone will be lost, except for data stored on the SD card, SIM card, or online services, if applicable. If this is possible please check our online Help pages on how to backup your data.

Do not send the SD Memory Card, SIM Card, Battery, Back covers and other accessory items included or not in the product's box. All we need is the bare device. We can't be held liable for any of these being sent in as they won't be returned.

Package the device as you would like to receive it. In a good strong box with plenty of padding. You can use the original box, but it will not be returned to you. This information overrules the one in the repair tick-sheet instructions.

Should our engineers find that the fault you are experiencing is caused by physical damage, wear and tear, illegal software, illegal repair attempt, it will not be covered by warranty. Conditions of warranty also include warranty length terms from date of purchase. The repair will be chargeable and we will send you a quote via email.

You are under no obligation to accept the quote and if you decline, there will be an approximate 25 diagnosis, shipping and handling fee to have the device returned to you and not repaired.

If the device is within warranty period and the fault is covered then there will be no cost to yourself.

Liquid-damaged devices are returned immediately, unrepaired and without charge as they are beyond economic repair.

Repairs will take approximately 5 working days from when it arrives at the HTC Repair Centre and it's subject to parts availability.

UPS can collect your device from any address in the UK from Monday to Friday, 13:00 to 17:00 except weekends and public holidays.

Can you please reply to this email and give me the following information.

Full Name:
    Address from where you would like the phone collected from:
    (This will be the same address to return the device, unless you specify
    another one)
    Telephone Number:
    The IMEI and serial Number of the handset:
    Your preferred date of collection (Please allow 48 hours notice):

If you would like to make the arrangement over the phone then please call our helpline on 08458900079 (within UK) or on +44 1279 206906 (outside UK) to arrange your booking.
    I look forward to receiving the above information so that I may complete your repair booking.

Let me know if I have successfully answered your question, please click here to complete this.

To send a reply to this message, please click here.

Sincerely,

Eleanor

HTC
    12-10-2012 09:57 AM
    Can also confirm this. Took my first phone back thinking it's a fluke. Got my second phone and a week later - while it has no scratches or marks otherwise, it has black streaks on the back and corners - and of course I have the blue version.

Emailed HTC support and am thinking of going back to the Lumia 920 even if it is big. My phone looks like it's a year old even though it's a couple weeks old. This is crazy. And I don't believe in cases so that's not an option. A phone is designed to look the way it is - I don't want additional bulk.
    12-12-2012 12:39 PM
150 ... 3456