Phone getting dirty

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
It's not getting dirty. I've had a HTC trophy for over a year and no dirt at all. If the phone was getting dirty it should easily come off.

No, this is a defect in the coating either too thin or too porous... HTC should replace the affected phones.

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
They want me to be without a phone for 5 working days, and potentially get charged. Pah!

Dear ....,

Thank you for contacting HTC regarding your HTC Windows 8X.

My name is Eleanor and I am a Technical Support Agent for the HTC Written Team.

I’m sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulties with your device going black.

We have looked into this for you, we will need to bring your device in for a repair.

I am sorry that your device is not in a perfect condition at this time. I would like to arrange for your phone to be repaired in our UK Repair Centre. Please read the following instructions carefully. By proceeding with the repair you agree to the terms and conditions of the repair service.

During repair, we will install the latest software as part of the diagnosis and testing phase. All the data from the phone will be lost, except for data stored on the SD card, SIM card, or online services, if applicable. If this is possible please check our online Help pages on how to backup your data.

Do not send the SD Memory Card, SIM Card, Battery, Back covers and other accessory items included or not in the product's box. All we need is the bare device. We can't be held liable for any of these being sent in as they won't be returned.

Package the device as you would like to receive it. In a good strong box with plenty of padding. You can use the original box, but it will not be returned to you. This information overrules the one in the repair tick-sheet instructions.

Should our engineers find that the fault you are experiencing is caused by physical damage, wear and tear, illegal software, illegal repair attempt, it will not be covered by warranty. Conditions of warranty also include warranty length terms from date of purchase. The repair will be chargeable and we will send you a quote via email.

You are under no obligation to accept the quote and if you decline, there will be an approximate ?25 diagnosis, shipping and handling fee to have the device returned to you and not repaired.

If the device is within warranty period and the fault is covered then there will be no cost to yourself.

Liquid-damaged devices are returned immediately, unrepaired and without charge as they are beyond economic repair.

Repairs will take approximately 5 working days from when it arrives at the HTC Repair Centre and it's subject to parts availability.

UPS can collect your device from any address in the UK from Monday to Friday, 13:00 to 17:00 except weekends and public holidays.

Can you please reply to this email and give me the following information.

Full Name:
Address from where you would like the phone collected from:
(This will be the same address to return the device, unless you specify
another one)
Telephone Number:
The IMEI and serial Number of the handset:
Your preferred date of collection (Please allow 48 hours notice):

If you would like to make the arrangement over the phone then please call our helpline on 08458900079 (within UK) or on +44 1279 206906 (outside UK) to arrange your booking.
I look forward to receiving the above information so that I may complete your repair booking.

Let me know if I have successfully answered your question, please click here to complete this.

To send a reply to this message, please click here.

Sincerely,

Eleanor

HTC

levelbest

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Can also confirm this. Took my first phone back thinking it's a fluke. Got my second phone and a week later - while it has no scratches or marks otherwise, it has black streaks on the back and corners - and of course I have the blue version.

Emailed HTC support and am thinking of going back to the Lumia 920 even if it is big. My phone looks like it's a year old even though it's a couple weeks old. This is crazy. And I don't believe in cases so that's not an option. A phone is designed to look the way it is - I don't want additional bulk.

levelbest

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
It would appear the coating is staining. That whatever is causing it dirt or otherwise, is penetrating the surface. It does not appear the coating in rubbing off - rather that the coating is extremely vulnerable to absorbing coloring, sweat, who knows what else from things it comes in contact with.

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
It would appear the coating is staining. That whatever is causing it dirt or otherwise, is penetrating the surface. It does not appear the coating in rubbing off - rather that the coating is extremely vulnerable to absorbing coloring, sweat, who knows what else from things it comes in contact with.

I agree, seeing as I cleaned mine up a bit.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
what did you clean it up with? my second device got the dingy corners.... absolutely stupid issue to have.

almost positive its just the black dress pants.

strokee

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
what did you clean it up with? my second device got the dingy corners.... absolutely stupid issue to have.

This is why I only considered the black model. Any wear and/or staining wouldn't be noticeable.

I agree with you...it is an absolutely stupid issue to have. Poor design choice by HTC...

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

Alcohol based hand sanitiser and a clothe.

Its not perfect, but at least stops it from getting any worse.

As good as the doubleshot case is, holding the actual phone is so much better, so I will just live with it.

baygacon

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Alcohol based hand sanitiser and a clothe.

Its not perfect, but at least stops it from getting any worse.

As good as the doubleshot case is, holding the actual phone is so much better, so I will just live with it.

I tried an alcohol based cleaner and I had no success :( I guess I'll have to live with the black corners and it's such a shame that HTC didn't pick up on this!

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I tried an alcohol based cleaner and I had no success :( I guess I'll have to live with the black corners and it's such a shame that HTC didn't pick up on this!

Definately, they wanted me to send mine if for a "repair" for a minimum of 5 days and not guaranteed zero charge. Not doing that. Would be setting myself up for a headache.

Dakow#WP

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I thought I was lucky, I've had my Verizon Red 8X since the day it came out (about a month). Sometime over the course of this weekend, all 4 corners have black smudges on them, after being spotless. I DO think it was clothing related, as I noticed it after putting it in the specific pocket of a coat I hadn't yet worn with the phone.

Its a real shame, if it cannot be cleaned, I don't really want to do a warranty replacement if this is going to just continue to happen.

Klaric

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Entirely possible. My wife got me a pair of jeans from Old Navy a while back, and I wore them (after washing them once, mind you) with a new pair of white Nike's. The Nike's stained blue and I could never clean it. First and only time I've ever had something stained by fabric dye.

chicubs1908

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
My blue HTC 8x also has dirty corners syndrome....Best Buy doesn't have any in stock in my state so pretty much I am sh** out of luck unless I am willing to be entirely without a phone for 5 days.

I am not sure what I am going to do.

strokee

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I finally heard back from HTC today (called them when I was within my 30 day window but got a response exactly 4 days outside of my window). Basically, their recommendation was that I get a case to protect the phone. Or I had the option of sending it to them and I wouldn't have a phone for 5 - 10 days.

They want you to send them the phone so they can re-apply the delicate soft touch coating and then in a few weeks you will be back to square one? At least they didn't tell you that you're holding the phone wrong, lol. You should ask them why they decided to add a delicate coating that feels "great to hold" if you then have to use a case in an attempt to protect it. How silly.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Wait HTC is not supporting their customers? Wonder where I have heard that before. Oh, wait....

Sorry to hear that it seems like both flagship WP8 devices seem to have some prevalent issues. Even more glad I am waiting till next round now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss