Is the 8x a lemon?

3773M

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Is the 8x inherently a lemon? The hardware issues on this forum have me worried.

1. Durability of soft touch coating
  2. Scratch prone display
  3. Poor battery performance

I realize this is a forum and thus will be skewed towards complaints, but I also believe where there is smoke there is fire.

What do you think?

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've had my device for about 10 days now and have none of those issues. So I voted no. Mind you have a light leak issue but I seem to be fairly alone with that one.

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Despite me having to send my 8X back for a replacement or refund I still voted "No" because pretty much all new phones now have issues when they are first released just look at the IP5 or head over to the Lumia 920 thread.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
No it's not a lemon. It's a new phone and this is the Internet where people go to b*tch about stuff. I assure you the vast majority of the 8X's out there are probably just fine.

krazy_kaktus

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Yup the phones a lemon because it scratches... Should of bought a scratch resistant phone with the battery that self recharges from fairy dust.

anon(5324511)

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I have not had any issues with my HTC 8x although, I haven't owned it long, but I did swap over from a red 920 and it was fine too.....no issues with it!

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
The screen thing concerns me the most. How can a phone that uses GG2 be scratch prone? Isn't all GG the same? Tom Warren of the Verge said he scratched his 8X in a number of hours too though so it seems like there is something going on.

HTC 8X Gorilla Glass 2 not all that great | The Verge Forums

I've also seen this happens on macrumors with the new iPhones. Gorilla Glass 2 is great, so I wouldn't worry about it.

sibrecat

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Im enjoying mine now, thought battery was bad at first but its settled down to an acceptable level now, just put my iphone 4s on ebay tonight im that pleased with it, only gripe is the app store but that's going to improve with time im sure, I did want a 920 but they are rarer than rocking horse poo in the uk in the unlocked variety
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

Gdwheel

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely no problems here. I have owned about every smartphone and this one is not a lemon (mine anyway). It is much better than many of the devices HTC has put out. I also had the 920 and like this much better.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I had BlackBerry's for years, then every iPhone except the 5, several Androids, Lumia 900, HTC Titan 2 & now an 8x. It is definitely not a lemon. It is built very well and WP8 is awesome. If you can get one, get it. I paid full price with att, 449+tax and I'm very happy with it.
Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Lol, these polls crack me up...I have had my phone 10 days, not one reboot or issue other than needing to reboot manually one time due to not being able to make calls...which I think was a provider issue. I know some have issues, which hopefully an update will fix, but I have not seen any issues that severe that make phone a lemon. I can imagine possible adopters coming here...like me and reading this and saying screw this, I am staying with android.

Dano79

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
No mine runs like a champ too after 13 hours I still have 35 percent battery left and I did some pretty heavy texting and some phone calls due to the holiday. Its only my second time charging since I got the phone the other day

drewho

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
i must admit that after my initial worries the battery has now settled down and is now lasting loads longer than my iPhone 4 did

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster