So I'm getting my 8X tomorrow. How exactly should I set it all up to get the best battery life etc.?

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting my HTC 8X tomorrow. Finally! Gonna try out WP8. Going from Android Jelly Bean. (Galaxy Nexus.)

I've been reading the WPCentral forums for a while and so there are issues obviously. So:

How do I get my Gmail to work correctly (get my emails right away) and get the best battery life? Anything else I should do? Maybe a few tips? Thanks :D

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
1) Set up your Gmail account by choosing Google when you click to add a new account. Then make sure you set it to download new content "as items arrive" to get emails immediately.
2) I just keep NFC and Bluetooth turned off, but my battery life wasn't bad even before I remembered to do that. If you had a Verizon Galaxy Nexus, you're probably used to a lot worse.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Best battery life and get your emails right away don't go together... to get them right away, you have to use push. If you push, your battery life is worse.

I set my Gmail through Exchange.

Username is yourusername@gmail.com
Server is m.google.com
Domain should be left blank

Start by going to the WP app store to download all the apps you want/need.

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
1) Set up your Gmail account by choosing Google when you click to add a new account. Then make sure you set it to download new content "as items arrive" to get emails immediately.
2) I just keep NFC and Bluetooth turned off, but my battery life wasn't bad even before I remembered to do that. If you had a Verizon Galaxy Nexus, you're probably used to a lot worse.

I read in another thread that you should connect your Gmail with outlook to save battery... hmm.

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Best battery life and get your emails right away don't go together... to get them right away, you have to use push. If you push, your battery life is worse.

I set my Gmail through Exchange.

Username is yourusername@gmail.com
Server is m.google.com
Domain should be left blank

Start by going to the WP app store to download all the apps you want/need.

Do you get better battery life through exchange? (To get them right away) And what's the difference between outlook and exchange?

Dano79

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
As soon as you get home charge it let it be as hard as that sounds till the battery is full and you cant power it off while charging itll just turn back on.

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I read in another thread that you should connect your Gmail with outlook to save battery... hmm.

I had it set up with Outlook at first, but then I got annoyed at the icon being the same as my *actual* Outlook.com account, so I changed it to Google. I haven't noticed a difference, but I also don't track my battery too closely. If it gets me through the day, it's enough.

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I had it set up with Outlook at first, but then I got annoyed at the icon being the same as my *actual* Outlook.com account, so I changed it to Google. I haven't noticed a difference, but I also don't track my battery too closely. If it gets me through the day, it's enough.

Eh I'll try it with regular Gmail first then.

-Scienide-

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
NFC off. Thats all I did and my battery was pretty decent. I think in the first few days I put a lot of crap on my home screen with updating tiles and that seemed to drain the battery a bit. I've now cut the crap and got the good stuff on there and my battery is doing me fine at the minute.

I'd recommend having a charger in your car though! (Nice car by the way)

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
NFC off. Thats all I did and my battery was pretty decent. I think in the first few days I put a lot of crap on my home screen with updating tiles and that seemed to drain the battery a bit. I've now cut the crap and got the good stuff on there and my battery is doing me fine at the minute.

I'd recommend having a charger in your car though! (Nice car by the way)

Not my car sadly... just a car I plan to own at some point in my life. I'll keep NFC on for a little bit and see how it works. If it's bad I'll try turning it off. Thanks!

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I got it yesterday! :D People keep complaining about battery life but I am getting AMAZING battery life with heavy usage. And I'm only on my second charge. (A new battery performs that worst)

Gyeames

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
not being rude but you answered my questiong wrong. :p
was asking how much storage capacity there really is out of that 16gb. (only w/ the pre-installed apps)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss