Alarm volume

BR1GADIER

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
On my HTC 8X the alarm always plays at full volume! It seems that this was the case for some WP7 handsets too.

I doubt anyone has a fix yet, but can anyone have a recommended replacement alarm app, please?
Thanks

BR1GADIER

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Not a case of being quiet, just not max! The speaker on the 8X is extra loud too... at 6am! Like many things, its about having the choice.

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I swear my HD7 used to respect the main phone volume. Generally I don't need to be woken up, just prompted to get up as I cannot see the clock in the dark. Additionally, I don't think my wife appreciates being startled out of her sleep.

Luinwethion

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
The volume settings from WP8 sucks....

You can't control the alarm volume separated from the other, but also Media and Phone Ring volume are the same!!!!!

So, if I'm on a bus, playing some game I set the (media) volume to mute, but this also set the Phone Ring volume to mute (just vibration)... just because they are the same ??

In Android and i think also in iOS you have 2 separated volume, for the media (games, music, video) and for the phone ring... And in Android you can also set the alarm volume.

A least the alarm volume should begin at the lowest volume and slowly increase.

mattdreed

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
Yes, the volume has been too loud for me as well on my at&t Lumia 920 and using the windows phone "alarm 2" sound. Startled me so much I hit my wife in the head this morning. I had used the default "Nokia alarm" a couple of times, which was a little quieter, but it is not as pleasant as the other. I guess I will go back to the default until the alarm volume matches the set phone volume.

colmsmyth

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
It does need fixing across the board, I get up at 5am and we have baby in our room...the alarm blasting out wakes the baby...there should be settings to let it play but quieter.

Doesn't need fixed. Was the same way on my HD7 and I never thought of a reason I would need an alarm to be quiet.

BR1GADIER

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Agreed, "Alarm 2" seems the best tune, but the volume is simply too high. I'm thinking of just putting a small pillow/cushion on top of the phone in the night.

Keith Beck

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I hate this! I am a light sleeper and really like being able to control my alarm volume and not wake my wife. My WP7 HTC Trophy did allow the volume setting to control the alarm setting. Anyone know if this is a MS issue or a manufacturer issue. I have a Nokie 822 now.

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I hate this! I am a light sleeper and really like being able to control my alarm volume and not wake my wife. My WP7 HTC Trophy did allow the volume setting to control the alarm setting. Anyone know if this is a MS issue or a manufacturer issue. I have a Nokie 822 now.

Sounds like a OS issue, seeing as my 8X does the same thing. My old HD7 never did this! If I wanted the alarm to be quiet, I would just turn the phone volume down.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The alarm is actually one of the 8X features that works without fail for me - Im glad its so loud - Would be unemployed by now if it was even remotely quieter.

Rob Kalinsky

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
One possible solution seems to be to pick up a ringtone that is quiet or builds over time. I just found one, and you can assign the stock alarm to use the ringtone. This might solve the volume issue, albeit indirectly.

TRF1979

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, I was feeling the pain of this too but have found a solution, along the lines of what Rob Kallinsky mentions above, but first I would like to have a quick go on my soap box:
After messing around using the stock alarm app, it appears that there is no way of adjusting the volume of the alarm at all. It is locked to around equivalent volume level of 20 out of 30. This is LOUD. In this age of customization, this seems rather strange. How could it be assumed that everyone would want the same level of volume and how difficult would it be to give you the option to adjust it? Seems like the kind of random little restriction you would find on an apple product!

Anyway moan over, here is how I found a way to have the alarm volume at whatever level you want.
First you need an app called "Easy Clock" by "Bamoo", its 79p but I think this is a small price to pay to not get blasted in the morning!
How the app works is by using a song from your MP3 player and thus the volume settings you set it to. I went to amazon.co.uk and downloaded a nice relaxing soundscape type tune especially for the "alarm".

For this to work you need to go in to the app, in to settings and click the "work when screen locked" slider to "on". This is what over rides the preset fog-horn setting and allows you to set a more relaxing volume to wake up to. You will also see within the app an "inside app sound" and an "outside app sound", the "inside" is the one you set your song with. Adjust the volume you want using the volume rocker on the side of the phone (you may have to experiment to find your optimum level) and then once everything is set, lock your phone from the app WITHOUT closing the app, otherwise you revert to the "outside app sound" (and preset volume) and thus subject yourself to a rude awakening.
Enjoy!
:)

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I swear my HD7 used to respect the main phone volume. Generally I don't need to be woken up, just prompted to get up as I cannot see the clock in the dark. Additionally, I don't think my wife appreciates being startled out of her sleep.

You are correct. My HTC Trophy alarm was as quiet as I set it. My 822 is loud no matter what volume. I get up at 0400, my wife doesn't.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
On Windows Phone 7 the alarm used to sound off starting with less volume, and then it gradually went louder if you didn't do anything. It was to prevent just blasting you off from sleep with a sudden loud ringer. Is that not the case with WP8?

BR1GADIER

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I tried this app - left it running over night, and it didn't go off. Sorry about that!

The OS version is still the only reliable alarm, but just too damn high!
Preview.jpg

DaveR12

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
You can use a program like Audacity to modify your ringtone to a lower volume, then just resave and pick it as a custom ringtone. You can also create a "rising volume" alarm, though it will start low each time it recycles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo