8X won't turn on again

Bob Squires Jr

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
AT&T... Got the HTC Windows 8X phone. Had it for a few months. It would shut off, get real hot then when it felt like it, it would turn back on again with the battery being near fully discharged. I sent it back, got a refurb. Same thing. THREE TIMES I did this! Yes 3 of the same phones had this problem. But each time the warranty gets shorter. Now my 4th phone is doing it and of course, the warranty is out and I'm not eligible for another phone until June of 2015 which, as of this writing, is 4 months away. AT&T will not budge and HTC gives the run around. Nice customer service eh? I just hope this one can keep reviving until I can get a new phone.

sediq mccook

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Can anyone HELP me please I do like this cell a lot was on what's app this morning and it just turn off and won't come back on can anyone tell me what to do

sediq mccook

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same **** and am very upset too as on what's app and it just turn off and plan not to come back on. When I plug my charger in it indicate to me the red light blinkling but that it

Rotary12

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I think the 8X is cursed. I dumped mine for a HTC One m8 with Windows 8.1. MUCH better phone and I will be able to update to Windows 10 when in comes out in the next month.

Gadworx

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
ACTUAL CAUSE AND SOLUTION
-----------------------------------------------------
As an engineer in a lab and a programmer as well, I once thought it was a specific problem. After having 3 of these (can get them cheap on eBay or Amazon)...I finally did the work to figure it out for sure. my first conclusion was close, but here it is...

The cause of the problem seems to be the chip that the battery charger uses. This chip is in all phones and works outside of the O/S (so it is not actually a Windows problem). Due to the thinness of the phone, the phone flex and this chip either from a trace or some other cause puts the chip in a false state. For instance, this problem always happened when I put the phone in my pocket.

The phone in this hardware state then thinks it is not charging. So step 1 in fixing it is to let the phone completely die (i.e. use up all its power)--BUT DO NOT LEAVE IT ON A CHARGER AS IT STILL MAY CHARGE IN TIS STATE AND NEVER POWER DOWN. Depending on the what the charge was in the phone when the problem started, it will discharge quick or a very long time.

Once it is discharged, plug it back into the charger and it will revive. At first because it is totally dead, it will have to charge for a very short bit before it will boot up, but when it does it is good again! Why does this work? Because the battery chip needs to be rebooted and since it is directly connected to the battery, it will not reboot until it is completely drained of power. Of my three phones, this happened many times (as I let them just our of curiosity of the problem). Finally one of them got wet and died...ooops...unrelated to this problem.

I tried this with Windows 8 and also 8.1...of course both worked as this problem is O/S independent. It is a hardware problem due to the thinness of the phone and like a speculate a thin trace as well. Now for a solution...

I liked the thinness as it slipped in and out of my pocket easily. I just quit putting it in my jean's pocket. Finally I ordered an Otterbox for one of them and it was still thin enough to use in my pocket, but rigid enough not to flex--problem solved. With that phone with the Otterbox, I never had the problem again after having it all the time.

netvic8

Feb 4, 2018
Visit site
hello the guy told u that the phone can't do anything again u tel hi to hold power button en vol yet he told u that it can't eve vibrate nor led when charging

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb