HTC Locations coming soon for 8x per HTC rep

chicubs1908

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Just thought this would be interesting to some of you out there...

I asked HTC customer support about when they would release their own turn-by-turn navigation software or license Nokia Drive for the 8x and they stated that HTC Locations would be "released soon"... Here was their full response:

Thank you for contacting HTC technical support.
XXXX, we appreciate your interest in our Windows 8X, we will be more than glad to provide you with the information you required.

Remember that Nokia drive is intended for Nokia devices only, as your phone is an HTC device you need an HTC application, the one you are looking for is HTC Locations.
HTC Locations allows you to download map data for offline use from a large number of countries just like Nokia Drive does. The GPS navigation speaks to you with voice prompts that tell you where to go even if you don?t have an internet connection. The HTC Locations app does sometimes provide different directions, but one thing that it has over the Nokia Drive app is the lane-changing prompts that tell you which side of the road you should be on. The application will be release soon.

XXXX, on the mean time you can use the default GPS that the phone has, check the manual to know how: http://blog.clove.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Windows_Phone_8X_by_HTC_User_Guide.pdf
(Page 66).

Or you can download another application that allows you to have turn by turn directions, for example:
Navigation | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

dol4er

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Sounds nice :)

But here is what answer I got from HTC regarding the same issue a couple of days ago:

Thank you for contacting HTC.
With regards to your inquiry, kindly be informed that for now this option is not available, however, I cannot confirm whether or when will be added later on. Please refer back to Microsoft for more info.
Thank you for the understanding!

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Unlikely, it was included in WP7, and was pretty good - you could download a map of your area/state and use it offline.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Locations was free when it first came out, then they started charging for turn-by-turn. You can still download the app and your local map for free and use it for guidance if you don't need it to give you turn-by-turn.

futurix

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
If it doesn't have free turn-by-turn then it will be fairly pointless, isn't it? You can get downloadable offline maps already....

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
If it doesn't have free turn-by-turn then it will be fairly pointless, isn't it? You can get downloadable offline maps already....

It does have turn-by-turn. Its was good IMO. Just had to pay for the navigation licence (i.e. turn-by-turn instructions), which I will have to pay all over again!

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

I just glance at my phone every once in a while since it tracks where I am on the downloaded map with the route outlined. I don't need it to talk to me and tell me where to go. Not pointless at all. Then again, I grew up with maps on paper...

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I just glance at my phone every once in a while since it tracks where I am on the downloaded map with the route outlined. I don't need it to talk to me and tell me where to go. Not pointless at all. Then again, I grew up with maps on paper...

Its true. People do get too reliant on what a computer is telling them. How did people survive before Sat Navs were invented? Paper map and road signs, that's how!

BokiV

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I do not think that the argument 'you don't need a voice guided sat nav' is valid. In a big city glancing at your phone while driving is just not an option, and a cheap turn by turn is a must fir wp8!

marbla

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Who knows, the voice part might be free this time around. If HTC is really pursuing Nokia like it seems to be then releasing a free turn by turn solution would be a logical step.

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
The one thing I thought was great about HTC Locations, was the voice lane guidance. That was very useful, although at times meant that the phone wouldn't shut up when approaching that point in the road.

Using my wife's Google navigation the other night through Central London had me taking wrong turns and missing exits, then waiting an age for a redirect. I cannot believe I used to like it in the days of Android on the HD2!

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
To me, the lack of built in turn by turn voice navigation is the biggest failure of WP8. My work-around will be to use my 8x as a Wi Fi hotspot for my Nexus 7 so I can use Google Navigation. I am willing to pay for an app but none of the apps gets stellar ratings. I am also concerned because I compared route planning with Bing as well as Microsoft Streets and Trips 2013 to Google and Google was far more accurate in terms of time estimates, which surprised me because in the past they have seemed very close in time estimates. If HTC Locations gets good enough ratings I will consider a purchase.

JBHorner#CB

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
With mobile device companies, one must always question what the word "soon" means. I see this thread started on November 28th. So, it's been over a month now. That doesn't really meet my definition of "soon."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos