Invalid SIM error on 8X

thetroublewith

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
You shouldn't need to send the SIM when you're claiming on a warranty though, if anything you would need to keep it.

Even if you start with a very small piece of tape on the back of the time, see if that helps, if not, add other small layers one at a time. :)

Ray Rogers

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I sent my phone away for repair on a nonrelated issue, when it came back the girl at the Bell store told me that they had replaced the main board and the sim bed. So I'm thinking that it's something they are aware of and have a fix for it.

TheJCorp

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I have two black HTC 8X on VZW, one with a case, one that has never had a case. Both exhibit the "SIM Error" problem. The one with the case is a VZW refurb replacement ~1 month ago.

daverath

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I had the issue many times a day before. It was really getting out of hand to the point I felt lucky if I unlocked my phone without a sim error. Added two pieces of scotch tape on the back of my sim card and haven't had a single error for a week now.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I had the issue many times a day before. It was really getting out of hand to the point I felt lucky if I unlocked my phone without a sim error. Added two pieces of scotch tape on the back of my sim card and haven't had a single error for a week now.

Same here... I regret being so hardheaded thinking that couldn't be the fix! But it was, I'm happy now!

JeniRae

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Liquid Damage?

I've been having this issue since I got the phone during launch weekend in November. Tried a bunch of different fixes. It would seem to behave for a a few weeks, then start acting up again. After period of no problems, it started happening every day last week. Now it is doing the random reboots as well. Finally had enough and went to AT&T tech center to get it replaced. The girl working there was only half interested in hearing me describe the issues. She said the random reboot was likely an issue with the motherboard. She popped out the sim card, pointed at the LDI strip, and blamed all the issues on moisture. Apparently the faint pink line means it has gotten wet somewhere. Now I have absolutely not dropped it in water. According to her I must have had it in a humid room or touched it after washing my hands. Basically she insisted this voided the warranty and I was stuck with the malfunctioning phone.

I called HTC, and they said I can ship it to them to check/repair. After a quick search I discovered some of the 8x's were shipped with liquid damage indicators that were already showing red. Makes me wonder if anyone else having this issue has a pink or red LDI as well. If you pull out the sim card, it is the tiny indicator just inside the slot on the phone. Liquid damage indicator sticker: Windows Phone 8X by HTC Support | T-Mobile

ssault

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Replaced SIM and then phone. Now having another replacement phone shipped out. Not messing with tape or any crap, if it keeps happening I'll move on to something different.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Replaced SIM and then phone. Now having another replacement phone shipped out. Not messing with tape or any crap, if it keeps happening I'll move on to something different.

It literally takes 5 seconds. Beats the **** out of contacting customer support and getting replacements and constantly resetting your phone!

Drew S

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I just turned Airplane Mode off on my phone and got an invalid SIM error (I don't recall the exact error, but suffice to say it wouldn't connect to the cell network). A reboot fixed it, although it showed the "No SIM" icon briefly upon starting up. Not sure if that's normal or not. Now it's working normally.

Has this issue happened to anyone else? Today's my last day to exchange the phone, so I'm going back and forth on it. Thanks in advance!
Having issue on my 8x as well. Called TMo, and they have the issue on record with others calling in. They stated it was software related.

just called into HTC and they want it for repair. HTC rep said this is the first he heard of the issue.

I don't want to do the tape, or any hack. So with the repair from HTC, has anyone received a successfully fixed device?

jeffha

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I am about to get my 3rd replacement of my HTC 8X due to the simcard issues. I've had them replace the actual simcard 2 times. I'm on T-Mo. My daughter got the same phone for xmas and is on ATT. Yep, she's having the same issue. Switched out the simcard and it's doing it again. My brother in Detroit is also having the same issue and he's on VZW. I believe it's time for a recall.

prettyconfusd

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Those of you that had problems with the 'Invalid SIM' error popping up; did your 8X also frequently switch itself off?

I'm getting the sim error (HTC told me to get a new sim and that was fine for a week but now it's just as bad as it ever was) but the phone also frequently just switches itself off without a sim error showing up. I know I'm going to either get a new phone shipped out (might see if I can swap it for a 920 as my support experience (and lack of exclusive apps, accessories etc,) has soured me on HTC and their attitude towards WP) or send this one off for repair but I really don't want to lose almost four months of app data and game saves... :/

Might give the tape fix a try but if you guys weren't also experiencing random shut downs (not restarts) then I may have more faults to deal with...

robsmithuk

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
If your sim is working and your phone is on, then the sim momentarily disconnects, the phone turns off with no warning. As far as its concerned you have ejected the sim.
You will only get invalid sim if the phone is switched on with a bad connection.
So try the tape, its fixed mine with zero reboots/errors since.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99