Invalid SIM error on 8X

ljt1984

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Mine started restarting/SIM error over the last couple of weeks, so I've just tried this tape solution (the tape on the rear of the sim) so we'll see how it goes!

Jeremy Lebens

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
So my phone has been getting this SIM card error like 3 times a day now. I was confused when I read about the tape trick, because people kept saying not to cover the "contacts". What exactly does that mean? What I did was pop it out and put a clear piece of tape on the side that WASN'T gold (aka the side that said Verizon SIM Card) and then I cut around the edges/corners as best as I could and then I popped it back in (firmly). Did I do it wrong? Did I put too much tape on it? The image posted up above only shows a thin piece on one side. I'm worried that I did it wrong now and that it's going to melt into the card or something. Uh oh...

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
So my phone has been getting this SIM card error like 3 times a day now. I was confused when I read about the tape trick, because people kept saying not to cover the "contacts". What exactly does that mean? What I did was pop it out and put a clear piece of tape on the side that WASN'T gold (aka the side that said Verizon SIM Card) and then I cut around the edges/corners as best as I could and then I popped it back in (firmly). Did I do it wrong? Did I put too much tape on it? The image posted up above only shows a thin piece on one side. I'm worried that I did it wrong now and that it's going to melt into the card or something. Uh oh...
by contacts they mean the metal side or gold side as you put it. Putting tape on the other side makes sure the contacts or metal side is actually touching the the contacts on the inside of a phone so you don't get the error.

Jeremy Lebens

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
by contacts they mean the metal side or gold side as you put it. Putting tape on the other side makes sure the contacts or metal side is actually touching the the contacts on the inside of a phone so you don't get the error.
Ah, makes sense now. So it sounds like I did it right. Thanks for the quick reply! My only real worry was the excess tape. I could not for the life of me cut it all completely off. There was a little bit leftover, but I think I did a decent job with it. Popped it back in a few mins ago and it seems to be working. If I can make it a day without the error then I think I'll be in good shape. Loving the phone otherwise.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
The image posted up above only shows a thin piece on one side. I'm worried that I did it wrong now and that it's going to melt into the card or something. Uh oh..
please ignore that image, its wrong

put the tape on the side opposite of the gold metal part, just cover the logo and trim to fit. it doesn't have to be exact, just close.

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I stuck tape to the back on the sim and tray, so that its all covered. no issues since. However, may sim tray doesn't sit flush with the phone body now.

absonj

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
So, I'm visiting family, my niece notices my phone, "is that the Verizon windows phone" yup, "my friend has one and keeps getting a sim card error" oh, I haven't had that, but have her go to wpcentral, they can tell her how to fix it. "ok, I will text her now"

Next day, I start getting that error! Of course I'm using the tape method. Talk about bad freaking luck!

Although, I'm still sitting flush with the case. Used a magnifying glass and xacto knife.
Sent from my wicked sexy HTC 8X windows phone using Board Express

congoose

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm using the tape repair as well. 1ply of scotch tape to the back of the sim card. I didn't have to force the tray back in. So far so good. Prior to the hack it required a reboot several times a day. It's been a few days now without any issues...

MKairys

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I took mine into my Verizon store and they cleaned the contacts thoroughly and put it back in and I've had no issues in a month. Prior I rebooted 2-3 times a day.

ljt1984

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Mine started restarting/SIM error over the last couple of weeks, so I've just tried this tape solution (the tape on the rear of the sim) so we'll see how it goes!

Well it's been over three weeks now since I've taped the back of the SIM and no SIM errors/restarts etc from the phone. I was getting multiple SIM errors nearly every day for about a week or two prior to the tape fix. Will continue to monitor and report back!

romant56

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I just got the update that supposedly fixes the SIM error on the Verizon 8X, and since I like to live dangerously, I took the tape off my SIM. I'll let you all know if/when I get a SIM error.

snowwake8

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
It is software based. Not network. It is a known problem and hopefully an update will fix it soon. But yea it does get worse. You will start getting random reboots too. Bad luck basically if you are one of the unlucky ones.

laity78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I just got the update that supposedly fixes the SIM error on the Verizon 8X, and since I like to live dangerously, I took the tape off my SIM. I'll let you all know if/when I get a SIM error.

I just got the update myself. I have used the tape for about a month an no sim error or reboot but im def curious if the update fixes it.

laity78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So im just curious, since the update has anyone had a SIM error or random reboot? I never took off the tape cuz it just always works. But I really am curious if an update could actually fix that cuz I figured that was a hardware issue not a software

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
So im just curious, since the update has anyone had a SIM error or random reboot? I never took off the tape cuz it just always works. But I really am curious if an update could actually fix that cuz I figured that was a hardware issue not a software

My guess is that the SIM being loose causes it to come in and out of contact which may have tricked/glitched the software. A software update probably more than likely protects it from spazzing out. That's just my guess.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire