Wireless charger question

snowwake8

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Is it bad if I take my phone on and off the wireless charger many times throughout the day or should I just put it on their and let it charge?

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Is it bad if I take my phone on and off the wireless charger many times throughout the day or should I just put it on their and let it charge?

I have been looking for documentation for wireless charging on the 8x, and so far have found nothing. My last 2 phones both had wireless charging (Pre- and Pre3). HP/Palm recommended conditioning the battery 2-4 times before using their wireless charging. Once the battery was conditioned, you could take it on and off the charger with no problems.

I have been using my charging pads for a little over a week. I conditioned the battery with a regular charger before using the charging pads. So far, I have had no problems whatsoever taking the phone off and on the charging pad throughout the day. It charges quickly and battery life seems the same as before. The only thing that concerns me at the moment is that the Nokia charging plates I purchased do not show that they are going to tirckle mode when the phone is fully charged, so I am NOT leaving the phone on the plate once it shows fully charged. The plate's LED is supposed to turn off when the phone is fully charged, but this does not seem to work when charging the 8x. Others with Nokia phones seem to have no problems with the plate recognizing when the phone is fully charged.

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Repeated small discharges and charges in themselves will not damage the battery - contrary to popular belief it isn't necessary to fully drain the battery at all, and in fact it is better to keep the battery at least 40% where possible.

Wireless charging produces more heat than wired charging, however - and heat is damaging to Li-Ion batteries. I've not actually used a wireless charger so I don't know exactly how hot it gets - but I know it is considered one of the main drawbacks to the whole concept of wireless charging. It's ok to leave it on there, especially as the mat should cool down once the phone is fully charged, but you might shave a little off your battery's lifetime. Which is to say, your daily capacity shouldn't be affected too much, but a few years down the line the battery may die a bit quicker.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3