Considering a switch from iOS to WP8 Verizon Customer

ptb127

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I posted this in the Lumia 822 forum but I figured I'd post it here too..

I am strongly considering a switch from iOS (i5) to WP8. I am trying to decide which phone I want though. I am verizon customer so my choices are the 8x and the Lumia 822. I am a person who uses Gmail and sets it up as Exchange on the iOS and updates my contacts and calendar through google as well. I love HTC's weather widget but the lack of expandable memory is an issue. Plus I have seen several videos of Nokia apps and I am really interested in them.. they seem like the real deal.

I need to get notifications for text and e-mails I received as well as being able to send mass texts (I send out weather alerts and texts to people) and need to receive responses quickly so I can act on the new questions and info. Apps are important but if I counted the apps I use on a daily basis on my i5 (or even was in on android) the most impt ones are available on WP8

The prices - the Lumia is 49.99 at verizon while the HTC is 199.99.

What opinions can you guys give to help me out?

ImAdrian23

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Let's make it easier for you.

Do you want Nokia's apps,expand-able memory and change-able back with wireless charging and future apps but don't have HD Resolution, better camera, no Gorilla Glass over the sleek/ neat design with beautiful HD and great front facing camera + the beats audio feature offered by HTC 8X?

Nokia's apps are not so useful as they seem to be, but indeed they are awesome. For example, why would you use City Lens in your own home town? Nokia Music is great (as I heared) but XBOX music is and will be way better.

I own a 8X because I LOVE the design and I because i'm into music. I would've gotten the 820 only if it had the HD screen (maybe if it was matte as well but as I never saw it in person I don't know).

moegumby

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Not to mention the wireless charging and being unlocked out if the box of the 8x, yes folks its true, the Verizon 8x is unlocked and can also be used on AT&T and T-Mobile. Unlike the AT&T model this one has QI wireless charging.
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
There is no group texting on Verizon with WP8. You can of course, send texts to multiple people and that multi-person text is saved as a threaded text so you can go back and send a new one to all the recipients very easily. But the replies will come from each individual in their own text thread. I love the 822 though, and it may have a bit longer battery life and of course, expandable memory and replacable battery.

ThaFunk

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I went through the same agonizing decision...after playing around with both phones I chose the 8x.

Why? The 8x is just so damn sexy. And the screen truly is much better. Just compare the Bing homepage images or text in IE10 and you'll see the difference. Additionally, the 8x literally feels like nothing in your pocket. I know that may not be something everyone cares about but this phone is crazy thin and light. Ergonomics are great.

As for Nokia apps, if you use public transit often then that may be enough of a reason for the 822 alone due to a lack of support for transit info in wp8. Otherwise, I don't see them being that much of a differentiator.

All that being said, I don't think you can go wrong with either device, they both have their pros and cons.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I am jealous of everyone with both the 822 and the 8X. I am not due for an upgrade until May and it is an agonizing wait. I really think that you have to hold both and see what you like better. I fell in love with the 822 when I played with it in store. The 8X is much sexier but the 822 felt better in my hand. The 822 may not be HD but I liked the sharp colors and deep black better than the 8X. What really seals the deal for me though is the removable and better battery and expandable memory. The Nokia apps, especially music, are another strong point. Good luck with your choice, I am sure that you will be happy with either. I like both better than my wife's iPhone 5!

msdugn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I went through the same agonizing decision...after playing around with both phones I chose the 8x.

Why? The 8x is just so damn sexy. And the screen truly is much better. Just compare the Bing homepage images or text in IE10 and you'll see the difference. Additionally, the 8x literally feels like nothing in your pocket. I know that may not be something everyone cares about but this phone is crazy thin and light. Ergonomics are great.

As for Nokia apps, if you use public transit often then that may be enough of a reason for the 822 alone due to a lack of support for transit info in wp8. Otherwise, I don't see them being that much of a differentiator.

All that being said, I don't think you can go wrong with either device, they both have their pros and cons.

ThaFunk nails it. Both devices rock.

After holding the 'brick' that is a Lumia in my hand vs. the HTC 8X, I was sold. It's everything everyone else has already said. The 8X is light in the pocket and in the hand. The Nokia-specific apps didn't bowl me over - and I disliked how they hid the Bing Maps, so if you want them as an alternative, you need to jump through hoops to find them. The minimal HTC app/apps (all if which that be uninstalled if you don't like them) have what I needed (stocks, newsreader, weather) including the fact that the weather app is the only one that updates the live tile with the weather of your present location regardless of where you travel saving me yet another set of steps to manually change my weather tile's location.

People are all crazy about the Lumia 920's camera. Outside of low light, the two are equally as good - in fact, I like the 8X video better than the Lumia video. I sense a hint of buyer's remorse when Lumia friends handle my 8X, not so much the other way around.

It's all personal. And they're both great. But like ThaFunk, I'm super happy with my 8X.

Last edited:

PappesHartley

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
While video may be better than the 822 its not better than the 920 along with the far superior mic of The 920.. If you only stay with Verizon its an easy pick BUT if you have the chance you should check out the 920
You sir seem to have buyers remorse if you are comparing video and think the 8x is better

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Hmm.... mass text is important to you... but that feature is turned off on Verizon.
Not sure what to say... How do you do it with your iPhone 5 on Verizon? (Mass mailings?)
(I also have a Android, HTC OneXplus 64Gb... but to be honest, when it comes to Exchange... it is like being in the times of the inquisition... You need Moxier mail or other 3rd party software and it is nothing near as good as WP8 in Exchange, Hotmail etc. But it is super for Gmail. Maybe that might work for you.)
But then... Why rush? I have my OneXplus cause I am waiting for a 64Gb WP8... should be around by March.
So... my recommendation would be to wait 3 month... I mean your iPhone 5 is quite good except for the small screen.
Otherwise I have two 8X... 16Gb they're both great except for being 16Gb... which reduces the files you can pack on it.
Also, beware that on WP8, it is not yet possible to download a pdf you receive as to forward it to someone else. (The other reason why I have a Droid...)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa