Cannot listen to music via Xbox Music on my 8x, please help!

Thewildknight

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, hope someone here can help me, I have been searching the internet and this forum but can't find the solution to my problem.

I have just purchased a HTC 8X, the first Windows phone I have ever owned. I also signed up to Xbox Music for the first time so I can stream music from my 8X.

Problem is that I can't seem to get any music tracks to play on my phone. Any time I try to either stream a track from the store or play a track I downloaded it comes up with the following error message...

"We are unable to confirm the media usage rights for this content"

The error message even comes up when I try to play tracks synced up from my Windows 8 PC.

I really am running out of ideas now. I have checked all my devices are signed in with the same hotmail account. I even changed the email address from my hotmail account from a hotmail.com to a hotmail.co.uk as I live in the UK and was wondering if that might be causing the issue. I have factory reset the phone many times with no luck.

Is there something I am missing here? Any help would be really appreciated as I am starting to really go off this phone!

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I started a thread for this same problem. It seems like we are the only people experiencing it. I get a "media rights" error for Xbox Music songs, and I get a "cannot play this file" error for non Xbox Music stuff.

I was also getting errors when trying to play an mp3 that was stored in my Skydrive. If you can, try playing an mp3 in SkyDrive and see if you get an error. Just want to confirm we are having identical problems.

billb425

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi, don't know if this will help you, but i also had a problem with downloading and playing music. My problem was related to my microsoft account (which is necessary to download and play music using xbox music) so i reset my phone and followed the prompts for setting up a microsoft account. Once that is done the phone automatically signs you into your microsoft account when starting. Anyway that fixed my problem, Good luck

mundyb

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Do you have too many authorized devices on your Xbox music account? You can check on the web interface for XBM. I had a similar problem when I first got mine. What I had to do is go in and delete one of the other devices and then sign back in from the phone. The rules for how many devices you can have are there on the website. It's under My Account, Device Management. If you don't have too many devices, and the 8X is properly registered, it will show up here. You might try deleting it and then signing back in again.

Hope this helps

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Do you have too many authorized devices on your Xbox music account? You can check on the web interface for XBM. I had a similar problem when I first got mine. What I had to do is go in and delete one of the other devices and then sign back in from the phone. The rules for how many devices you can have are there on the website. It's under My Account, Device Management. If you don't have too many devices, and the 8X is properly registered, it will show up here. You might try deleting it and then signing back in again.

Hope this helps

The problem is that once signed in, theirs no way to change the account information on the phone. In my case, I only had 2/5 devices registered. I deleted my phone from the list, and then figured out there's no way to add it back. Once I deleted the phone, I was presented with advertisements to try Xbox Music Pass for free,even though I have it. Clicking the trial links simply prompted me for payment info and stated that my music pass expired in a couple weeks.

This particular problem is rare and little is known about it. Resetting my phone to factory default was the only solution. Doing this added my phone back into my list of devices on Xbox Music. After the reset, I still continued to have the problems for some time before they were fixed.

CHPro

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I am having a very similiar problem, but instead of doing it on all the music I have downloaded through xbox music pass, it only does it on some and at different times.

I am on the 920 and I also had the same problem with the 900 a few months ago. Usually it will fix itself if I plug it into my computer, but that is only for a day or 2.

I am greatly dissapointed with xbox music, to say the least. Hopefully someone can come up with a fix, as I get pissed when I go to play a song and the stupid pop ups saying they can't verify media usage rights. Especially doesn't look good when I am using it as a selling point to friends and family and all the music I can download as part of the pass doesnt work.

I wouldn't call it rare in my case. Happens a couple times a week.

Matt Levan

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
This is very frustrating. I'm having the same issue-- "Can't verify media usage rights..." blah blah blah. This problem only started once my free trial finished and I bought a full-year Xbox Music Pass via Amazon. I can stream songs that I haven't downloaded on my PC but if I try to play any music I synced from my PC via Windows Phone app, I get the "media usage rights" error message. The problem is that I can't even stream songs that I've downloaded on my PC. I'm backing up my app list right now and will have to restore the phone to factory defaults. What fun... not.

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issue. I have LOTS of issues with XBox music. I wish they would let us use Zune until they fix it. I have none of my playlists so I have to take my L900 to teach my Spinning class. I get the media rights issue. I get incomplete albums ir albums with duplicate tracks. It's basically a mess.

kevvan

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I have a 'zune' pass subscription and my Xbox music experience is terrible. I love my new phone but this is such a huge disappointment. I get the media messages described here and I have a problem where some Podcasts that I subscribed to will not work.

I subscribed to some podcasts in Xbox Music and they will not download. I have my phone connected to WIFI and the cellular setting to allow the data connection is enabled. I tried to delete them, they will not delete. Instead of through xbox music, I manually subscribed using Zune and attempted to copy them manually, they won't upload through the sync tool. I tried syncing them through windows media player (which synced successfully to the device) it didn't work. I copied them manually to the phones video folder - they won't show up on the phone. I'm not particularly enamored with having to reset my phone only to see if it will fix it.

Does anyone have suggestions?

One of the main things I do with my phone is listen to podcasts and Xbox Pass music. I love everything about Windows Phone; Xbox Music client, not so much so far.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I've had issues syncing with my computer. Only thing that worked for me is just downloading everything from the store on my phone. Since then its all been buttery smooth!

Brian Child

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Downloading the music one song at a time from the phone and then recreating all the playlists for over 20gb of music really isn't a good solution.....
I have just about given up on Xbox music. Zune was fantastic but currently all my Zune pass music is useless. Has anyone heard of a time frame from Microsoft to get this fixed? Heck has anyone heard them acknowledge this as an issue being looked into? I would love a link where anybody from Microsoft is officially saying what a mess they made? My assumption is they fired everyone from the original Zune team (or they quit) They needed a new Windows 8 store app version so they paid a bunch of interns to figure it out......
I mean honestly how long have we been doing DRM and all of a sudden they can't seem to get it to work? There is a much longer thread on this topic here

There are few engineers who chime in once in a while but they only say they are working on the issues.....

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
At least you guys were able to sign up for Xbox Music. Everytime I enter my billing info, it says something along the lines of how my payment "could not be authorized."

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
At least you guys were able to sign up for Xbox Music. Everytime I enter my billing info, it says something along the lines of how my payment "could not be authorized."

Some banks put a block on MSN as I've been told and have experienced. Call your bank and they will unblock it temporarily so you can complete your purchase!

Thewildknight

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Well today I checked my phone for an update and there was (even though I ticked the option to be prompted when an update is available!), downloaded it and now I can stream, download and play all the music from xbox music!

So relieved!

Thanks anyway everyone for your replies and advice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs