Anyone else having discolouring on corners of HTC 8X

isi44

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am planning to return my blue 8X for a new one due to this problem, switching to red or acquiring a new blue one (Verizon user here). Two questions for those of you out there:

-Have Red 8X owners experienced this issue? Seems like those who have specified are only blue 8X owners.

-Is the issue batch-related or are all blue 8X's prone to this? No clear answer so far :S

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
very poor design choice by HTC. everything else is amazing BUT the dingy look of the corners due to the soft coating is flat out amazing.

Jurijs Petrovs

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Same problem for me - HTC 8X blue bought 2 weeks ago in Saturn in Austria. I am in Riga, Latvia, so it is going to be tricky to replace it. And I still wonder, whether I should try to replace for another blue, or stick with boring, but not-changing-color black option... I imagine, how black corners would spoil yellow HTC 8X...

Redstreak9

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I am planning to return my blue 8X for a new one due to this problem, switching to red or acquiring a new blue one (Verizon user here). Two questions for those of you out there:

-Have Red 8X owners experienced this issue? Seems like those who have specified are only blue 8X owners.

-Is the issue batch-related or are all blue 8X's prone to this? No clear answer so far :S

I've got a red that's having the issue happen too. Its not just blue. Haven't tried cleaning the corners yet though, but they are quite a bit darker. Some worse than others, but I'm not seeing anything that looks like something coming off.

johnnybev

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Black 8x owner, 3 weeks in and no noticeable discolouration issues. BUT took it out of my pocket today to find the coating wearing off one of the corners, leaving a shiny hole about the same size as the headphone port. Looks like a very thin layer of paint, it's very shiny underneath. I've been really careful with it for 3 weeks and this is very disappointing. Contacting telco tomorrow hopefully I'll be able to make a swap.

jtroller

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Black 8x owner, 3 weeks in and no noticeable discolouration issues. BUT took it out of my pocket today to find the coating wearing off one of the corners, leaving a shiny hole about the same size as the headphone port. Looks like a very thin layer of paint, it's very shiny underneath. I've been really careful with it for 3 weeks and this is very disappointing. Contacting telco tomorrow hopefully I'll be able to make a swap.
I have this exact same issue. Should I place a ticket with HTC or get my carrier involved? Red 8X with all corners dark and one corner it looks like the soft coat came off to reveal shiny plastic underneath. I have taken great care of the phone and I have only owned it for three weeks.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible this is just a first (bad) batch? I was following this on another thread and it seems that some people haven't had this with rough(er) usage. I remember something like this with another device where it took them some time to get the finish perfected but they did pretty quickly. This seems like a brand new process though, so who knows.

strokee

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Well, this is all I needed to hear. I was going to pull the trigger on a black 8x, but I don't want one that looks like crap within weeks. There is no way they are going to get some thin layer of soft touch coating to last long. Certainly not a year or two. Ugh. What a terribly stupid idea by HTC.

Dakow#WP

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Mine was flawless for 4 weeks, but sometime between Friday and this morning all 4 corners have black smudges on them. Really makes an otherwise gorgeous phone look terrible.

Does anyone know, if I do a warranty replacement, is there an easy 'phone swap' app or option?

mosi76

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Here are my four corners. I had the phone for 2 weeks in Florida and kept it in jean pockets with no issue. I got back to DC and started putting the phone in my dress pants and winter jacket breast pocket and about a week later I noticed the corners. It's almost like they all happened simultaneously. I have contacted HTC via their website and will update the post with their comments.

8x_corners.JPG
UPDATE: HTC contacted me within an hour of sending in the original email via their website. The technician said he had heard some other cases of discoloration and offered a warranty repair/replacement. For me this is a secondary phone so it was not an issue to work through the repair process. I will be sending the phone in and he said they would likely just replace the cover and send it back to me. He did not acknowledge this as being a widespread issue but he did say that he had read some peoples posts regarding the discoloration. He said it was possible the coating was not evenly applied to the phone and that was causing the issues in the corners. He said he has tested the AT&T and Verizon versions of the 8X and he has not seen the discoloration in person. He claims to keep the phone in his jean pockets without a case and had had no issue with the discoloration.

Last edited:

ComCypher

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, this is all I needed to hear. I was going to pull the trigger on a black 8x, but I don't want one that looks like crap within weeks. There is no way they are going to get some thin layer of soft touch coating to last long. Certainly not a year or two. Ugh. What a terribly stupid idea by HTC.

I just remembered that my Motorola PEBL from several years back was also covered in soft touch coating. The phone felt great and I had no qualms about flipping it around in my hand, spinning it on my desk, stuffing it in luggage, etc. and never had a single issue with the coating. It never even occurred to me that the coating could come off. So I guess my point is that the issue isn't really HTC's decision to use the coating but that they obviously had some manufacturing error that lead to bad batches.

kmann1994

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Calm down. It's not a "terribly stupid idea". It's just a manufacturing defect, a bad batch. They have fixed the problem. This issue is not widespread at all

Parkodrive

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Anyone tried replacing their 8x in the UK? I've had mine now for 8 weeks and the corners are horrid. There's also some discoloration on the curved edges. I've tried cleaning it several times with alcohol wipes but they don't really do anything.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans