Map App not giving directions on VZW HTC 8X?

obijuan23

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've had the same complaint ever since I got my 8X. Doesn't look like a lot of people understand or even care about this problem though because everyone has Lumias lol. I wasn't in a position to switch carriers and didn't want to go with the 822 after trying out the device in the store. I love the 8X, don't get me wrong, but Microsoft needs to address this lack of navigation. They are trying to bring more people to Windows Phone, but they are pissing off some of their current customers by not bringing the same functionality over from WP7, like integrated navigation.

As it stands now, any WP that isn't a Lumia do not have any integrated navigation, unless they want to use VZ navigator which costs a monthy fee, so I'm not sure what people on other carriers will do. It is very frustrating because at times I have been tempted to go back to my trophy, which is just sad. I keep having people say that it is HTC's fault for not providing their own alternative, but I don't agree with this. Microsoft had decent, working, integrated navigation before, and they promised to have it again with the new Nokia stuff, but then that ended up being exclusive to certain phones. I thought Microsoft wanted Windows Phone as a platform to take off and do well, not just Nokia's phones. Maybe I was wrong? I guess we will see what happens in the coming months.

I think Microsoft should just buy Nokia at this point. It's really kind of ridiculous. HTC's focus on the 8X isn't really there, at least not to the extent it is for the One X, One X+, One VX..... (really?) Buy Nokia, promote it, and forget the other OEMs. At least then this fracture would make sense.

Koato8

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
If ms buys Nokia then maybe they won't at some point release android handsets, that would shoot WP8 in the foot. I am pretty sure I remember.something about if Nokia doesn't do well enough with WP8 then they will throw android on their phones.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Just saying, the only con about VZ Navigator is that it isn't free.

If you have not tried the app, you're missing out. I use it everyday for work and it's the best navigation app I've ever used on a smartphone. It utilizes the metro-design guidelines to the full extent and the final result is a beautiful app. It works exactly like a Garmin would.

Do not just go by the reviews. Try the app yourself. I think that it's well worth the $2 a month because of how great the app is.

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Just saying, the only con about VZ Navigator is that it isn't free.

If you have not tried the app, you're missing out. I use it everyday for work and it's the best navigation app I've ever used on a smartphone. It utilizes the metro-design guidelines to the full extent and the final result is a beautiful app. It works exactly like a Garmin would.

Do not just go by the reviews. Try the app yourself. I think that it's well worth the $2 a month because of how great the app is.

Thanks for the tip. I generally dismiss Verizon apps because of their past garbage. Probably won't use it anyway but good to know it might actually be an option.

Ryan32

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm really hoping Microsoft fixes this soon. I think I read somewhere here that there was a specific API or something that needed to be used to show up in the list, and only VZ nav had used it so far... Supposedly once the other nav apps add this, they'll show up and link properly.

If that isn't the case, i'd be pretty upset... Microsoft and/or Verizon need to fix this. This is the only phone where core functionality is forced to use only this app, and at a monthly cost even... Any other phone they sell doesn't have this restraint.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. I generally dismiss Verizon apps because of their past garbage. Probably won't use it anyway but good to know it might actually be an option.

Exactly, that's the first thing I thought myself. When the HTC 8X first came out, VZ Navigator was still a version from WP7 and it was indeed terrible.

However, they updated it for WP8 and turned it into an amazing app. It runs in the background now and continues to give you voice guidance while you are using other apps on your phone.

I think the thing I like most about it, coming from an iPhone with google maps, is that the orientation is never off. I hated having to constantly shake my phone to recalibrate the compass only to find that no matter what I did, my map would be constantly rotated 90-180 degrees....

With VZ Navigator, the map is always perfectly aligned with the direction you are traveling. It's perfect.

You can swipe to the right at any point on the map screen, and it will jump ahead and show you the next turn/step that you will need to make. I also like the voice alerts for traffic.
"Slight traffic congestion detected up ahead in 0.7 miles for the next 3 miles"

I hate Verizon with a passion, but saying anything bad about this app is just wrong. They studied the metro design by the book and justified my $2 a month.

Silamanagic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
No native free navigation app is an absolute sham. What happened to the hole Windows 8 integration with everything sales pitch? Maps apparently weren't included in those discussions because favoriting a place on your PC with Bing Maps doesn't show up on the Windows Phone map. Very disappointing.

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Just got off the phone with a HTC Tech about Map application HTC Locations. Now he said that HTC is working to integrate Nokia Maps within their app or bring their own GPS app like HTC Locations. Also he said that the Portico update will bring back the native map app like in WP7.5. Should I believe him or not....I don't know....I want to but I need to see it to believe it.

In another thread somebody posted that: "I now get the same answer since the portico update... But if I use the bottom menu button for directions, it works." So I reply to him: "Hi, when you meant that it works. Do you mean that now you have the good old turn-by-turn built-in like in WP7.5. So the icon would stay in the middle of the screen and the map would rotate depending where you turn?".....but didn't get an answer.

I find it hard to believe that the native gps app came back since I think that they would of mention it in some articles. So coming from WP7.5 to WP8 it's a 20 steps backward!!!!! I lost LocalScout, native GPS app....

I guess that we will still need to wait to see if Nokia, HTC and/or Microsoft does something about that.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Subscribing to this thread, I'm switching to VZ from sprint in the near future (att and vz are the only coverage options where I live, my wifes HATES att with a firey burning passion). I'm curious as to the outcome, mapping is important to me.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I may be misunderstanding what the issue is. Is it that the stock maps doesn't have voice navigation or that maps isn't working at all. Because when I click maps and then at the bottom click the directions button, at the top of the screen it has Start and End. I can click on either selection and type in an address or leave as My Location and type in an end address and turn by turn directions come up when I hit enter. Even has a button to select driving or walking.

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes it does work but not like WP7.5. On 7.5 when pressing on "Start" it would follow you on the map so your icon would stay in the middle then the map would turn as you turn. Also when pressing on the screen it told you in how many miles/kms your next turn.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa