HTC 8X Custom case back from printer!

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
personally i think straight lines suit this phone more than rounded curves in your second design.

I agree. Im doing a bunch of designs right now and will start posting them soon. Thats the thing about this process is nobody needs to pick from 1 single design, but from many to suit there style.

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Just a quick update. Two new designs. One thats a bit more "artistic" and one based off of user suggestions to match the phone design, and keep it minimulistic. Thanks guys! I think it turned out great!

htc_8x_case_10.jpg

htc_8x_case_11.jpg

*Please note!* These do not yet have the "textured grips" built into the sides. That will come later. I just wanted to show them off sooner rather then later ;)

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
perhaps a textured suface option? not sure if possible with the 3d printing company you're using

blackberry 10 inspiration:
DSC_0508_edited.jpg

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
do you think your case will still work well as a metal option? i think the metal may not have the flex required to make it over the corner edges as a "snap-on" case

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
do you think your case will still work well as a metal option? i think the metal may not have the flex required to make it over the corner edges as a "snap-on" case

YES! The minimum wall thickness for the Silver is .8MM. I plan on using 1MM or 1.5MM wall thickness, so that will mean the silver will be flexible Also if you look at all the designs, there is a section close to each corner thats thin and long. This is designed to help the material flex to fit around the corner. Also, for metal cases, I will design a more shallow overhang (the front part that hangs onto the phone) and the side grips wont overhang. I will also look into padding the inside of the metal cases with micro-fiber for shock and scratch resistance.

Im sure you can tell I have put a lot of thought and planning into this, but we will only know once the first metal case comes back from the printer. Unfortunately, I dont have the money to bankroll a prototype silver case.

perhaps a textured suface option? not sure if possible with the 3d printing company you're using

The "strong flexible material does not have the resolution needed for that. The material itself has a rough surface thats already textured well. I could do that sort of surface treatment in the acrylic material, but it would cost significantly more. Also rubberizing it is out of the question. That would require a lot of processing I cant afford.

wazup113

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
love your ideas saw the case from looking at the new 8x videos on youtube. i don't really like your second design that much but love the fact you can put custom stuff on it...maybe try doing rectangles instead of ovals either way love what your doing and can't wait for more designs

P.S. i would support you if you went into making a lot of cases

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the idea's. I came up with a Windows 8 theme case and designed it yesterday. What do you think? I need some feedback!

htc_8x_case_12.jpg

I plan on having a LOT of different designs available so users can pick there own design. I want the hardware to be just as custom as the users start screen. Thats the base of my idea! We have very unique phones, and each of us are unique, so why should we all have the same case?

P.S. That case is based off of MY home screen. HTC clock in the middle, with all my call, IM, mail and other icons in small around it.

westentertainer

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Just another quick update. Here is a render of the new case design. The new design covers more area and is 50% thicker then the old design, plus is a 1 peace snap on, not a 2 peace. Im printing two, but the printer is backed up for the hilidays. It may be after Xmas that I get them!

Anyways, here is a sample of the new design. If people like the web design, it will also be available in the 1 peace, and will be a bit cheaper.
very nice let me know when available

View attachment 24646

View attachment 24647

And here is an example of what can be done with custom logo's and names.

View attachment 24648

Would love some feedback on the new design!

Also, I will be giving away two free cases once I get them. One to an AT&T user, and one to a Verizon user, to make sure they fit both phones. Details on how to win them coming soon!

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
The lip on the front of the case is less then the 2nd prototype. The 2nd prototype the lip meets the glass. On the new design, its half way between the edge and the glass. This should be plenty to hold the phone since the plastic is 50% thicker and should be stiffer.

dookie dave

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Just a quick update. Two new designs. One thats a bit more "artistic" and one based off of user suggestions to match the phone design, and keep it minimulistic. Thanks guys! I think it turned out great!

View attachment 24707

View attachment 24706

*Please note!* These do not yet have the "textured grips" built into the sides. That will come later. I just wanted to show them off sooner rather then later ;)
the second one is nice,
would it be comfortable to hold though?

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
It is MORE comfortable to hold then the current design. The edges are not as sharp, and the textured sides keep it from siding down when you press the top button.

Just a quick update. I got the 3rd prototype back from the printers, and its all wrong. The added thickness keeps it from fitting the phone and makes the case VERY stiff. I will try 1.2MM vs the 1.5MM thickness. I also need to redesign the curvs. They are very complex, and I think I found a way to match them 100%, so I will be working on prototype #4 this weekend. Sadly it takes up too 2 weeks to get each prototype back, so this is taking a lot more time then I though. I was hoping #3 would be perfect and let it go on sale today. I guess everyone will need to wait 1-2 weeks. I wont sell ANYTHING unless I know 100% it works.

The good news is, that prototype #2 is holding up to daily use VERY well. The side grips help daily use so much!!! I don't know about everyone else, but without them, its very hard to turn the phone on/off.

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Another update. I found another company to print the prototype phone. They are a LOT more expensive, but they can get it back to me in a few days VS a few weeks with Shapeways. I really hope this is the last prototype, as I cant afford any more. As it is, I have already sunk more then $200 into this case in materials and prototype's and that not even counting my hours. I don't have enough money to keep this up! The good news is I found out why my last prototype failed. The curve in the back of the phone, the top is a totally different curve then the sides!!!! The sides are more sharp, and the top/bottom is more blunt. The old thin design would just conform to the shape, but the thicker design would not.

I will know by Jan 7th if it fits!!! If it fits, I will have about 10 different designs anyone can pick from. The target is 20-30$ depending on how dense the design is!!!

angermeans

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Another update. I found another company to print the prototype phone. They are a LOT more expensive, but they can get it back to me in a few days VS a few weeks with Shapeways. I really hope this is the last prototype, as I cant afford any more. As it is, I have already sunk more then $200 into this case in materials and prototype's and that not even counting my hours. I don't have enough money to keep this up! The good news is I found out why my last prototype failed. The curve in the back of the phone, the top is a totally different curve then the sides!!!! The sides are more sharp, and the top/bottom is more blunt. The old thin design would just conform to the shape, but the thicker design would not.

I will know by Jan 7th if it fits!!! If it fits, I will have about 10 different designs anyone can pick from. The target is 20-30$ depending on how dense the design is!!!

Great job man! This is a really interesting project you have going. I really like the designs you've come up with. Keep us updated on the 7th I've got this bookmarked!

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! I really hope it fits. I will also be working on an upright docking station that's compatible with my cases. I always lay down my phone to charge and my night stand has limited room. Sadly, non-Verizon users don't have the wireless charging, so I will design a micro-USB port into the base. Ill upload a render later of the base concept.

angermeans

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! I really hope it fits. I will also be working on an upright docking station that's compatible with my cases. I always lay down my phone to charge and my night stand has limited room. Sadly, non-Verizon users don't have the wireless charging, so I will design a micro-USB port into the base. Ill upload a render later of the base concept.

The wireless charging station (I'm lucky enough to be a Verizon customer) would be something I would be interested in (and possibly a case). Keep us updated, man.

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I cant make a wireless charging station. What I plan on doing is making a simple USB dock you can slide your phone into, for your nightstand. There would be a USB plug at the base of the dock to charge up the phone for us who DONT have wireless charging.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo