HTC 8X Repair - Maybe more of a flop than a repair

AdamMGregory

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Um, so I really thought I would be able to fix this after my broken screen, bought a new one on ebay and went to town, so didn't turn out too well, but here is what the 8X looks like apart. So now I am on the search for an LCD as the glass and screen are really one unit fused together by the worlds strongest glue.

IMG_0183.JPG

IMG_0184.JPG

IMG_0186.JPG

IMG_0187.JPG

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
very sorry to hear about your situation.

but i am glad to see HTC 8x repair parts are becoming readily available. Hoping the wireless charging mechanism is up for sale soon so i can add it to mine

rantanplan1980

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
How did you beak gorilla glass?

As with all glasses, gorilla glass is only strong if the force is directed to the center of the screen and distributes equally on the glass.. The edges are the weakest part of the glass. If the phone falls on the corner parts of the glass you can pretty much expect it to break. Also if you focus all the force against a small spot on the display it'll also break very easily.

SaucePolicy

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I too am interested in the memory. Is it embedded or just a microSD? I would love to be able to swap it out for a 64GB.

smurfercom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It wasn't too bad. I took mine completely apart. Unfortunately, no microSD which is saddening.
Thanks for the heads up on the SD card, although I own the 810 I still have like 4 some odd gigs left. I'm not an app freak and just use what I need and toss out what I don't want. The only apps I installed so far are the connectivity app and the maps app for launching Bing.

xenomorph1030

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Well, I guess I shouldn't say I took it completely apart. I had it down to the battery and one circuit board at the top that encapsulated the camera. I lifted that up and didn't see anything of interest and I didn't remove the battery from the screen. I also didn't attempt to remove the large black cover seen above with the text "AF SS-400", which strangely mine didn't have any writing on it. I really couldn't figure out how that would come off and figured the processor (and probably memory) are located under that.

Luckily, there weren't many screws (11 in total) and it was relatively easy to put back together. I am pretty happy my phone continued to work after that adventure.

cst516

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Why have I not seen a tear down of the 8X yet. Usually ifixit has one done within the first couple of days. Does the screen just pry off? I took mine to a cell phone repair guy because it got wet but he could not figure out how to open it up.

fair_repair

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you disassembly it more and maybe tell us the part number of the LCD/Digitizer??? with this number I maybe can find a replacement for you.
would be great if you can do this.
On all new devices from HTC (middle and high end) are the Digitizer and LCd glued together on the whole area!

sudhirdy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I have same problem, broke my screen, LCD is fine but glass is broken, can you please send me link where you bought glass. Also did you damage LCD in the process some tips on separating screen from LCD would be great!
Thanks
Sudhir

esheafer

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I have same problem, broke my screen, LCD is fine but glass is broken, can you please send me link where you bought glass. Also did you damage LCD in the process some tips on separating screen from LCD would be great!
Thanks
Sudhir

i wonder if careful use of a heat gun would do the trick?

adystrepede

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
it seems to be like a pretty ugly problem with this glasses...i also broke mine,bought a new glass,but the glue is verry hard and i can not take the LCD from the the glass without broking it,and i can not find any LCD+glass. How did you fixed yours?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb