Red 8X or..

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I ask this question on behalf of a very good friend.

She is buying WP8 soon. (I convinced her to.) But she wants to go for a red 8X. Now seeing the discolouration, light leaks and and blue-turning-black complaints and black strips on the back, i asked her to play safe and get a black.

Am I right or am I killing her dream phone with my paranoia. Please bear in mind, she is a first time WP user(coming from iPhone) and i don't want to piss her off. She is a very good friend and she trusts me lot. But that doesn't mean I break her trust and hence i need to do research well. So i ask you guys.
Also, she will be buying it from Germany and using it here in India AND Germany as well. She will have to buy it off contract and that means it will cost her a fortune.

Suggestions are welcome, trolls are not.

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.

kerryprsp

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I ask this question on behalf of a very good friend.

She is buying WP8 soon. (I convinced her to.) But she wants to go for a red 8X. Now seeing the discolouration, light leaks and and blue-turning-black complaints and black strips on the back, i asked her to play safe and get a black.

Am I right or am I killing her dream phone with my paranoia. Please bear in mind, she is a first time WP user(coming from iPhone) and i don't want to piss her off. She is a very good friend and she trusts me lot. But that doesn't mean I break her trust and hence i need to do research well. So i ask you guys.
Also, she will be buying it from Germany and using it here in India AND Germany as well. She will have to buy it off contract and that means it will cost her a fortune.

Suggestions are welcome, trolls are not.

I haven't heard about the discoloration issues but I don't think there would be any harm in getting the red color. Also, since she is coming from an iPhone she may want a nice change of pace from the usual black or grey slabs that most smartphones are. Just my two cents. :)

Sav_OK

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
get the phone in black so you wouldn't notice any discoloration if any was to happen, then a nice fitting case in red? the case i have even has the rubber feeling of the phone so i dont even notice it if am honest

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm more worried about you "convincing" her to go with WP. If someone can't simply show the features of the OS and the potential new user see the advantages on their own, trying to convince them may not "keep" them a WP user. Each individual person has to decide, WP is the OS they want to invest in. Everytime I talk with someone about an OS, I'm more than happy to show off some of our features. I try to show something that the other OS can't do. If people ask my recommendation, then I recommend WP, but I never pressure them into it.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm more worried about you "convincing" her to go with WP. If someone can't simply show the features of the OS and the potential new user see the advantages on their own, trying to convince them may not "keep" them a WP user. Each individual person has to decide, WP is the OS they want to invest in. Everytime I talk with someone about an OS, I'm more than happy to show off some of our features. I try to show something that the other OS can't do. If people ask my recommendation, then I recommend WP, but I never pressure them into it.

Um..may be I wasn't clear...she asked me what phone..obviously no one asks what OS :p
So I said 920, 8X or the OneX. She just instantly fell in love with 8X. But you are right about "staying with an OS" bit. She has done her bit of research and that's y she picked 8X. If u see most reviews on YouTube, there is one common thing, that its ultra fast. That was enough.
But great characters alone don't make the film a success. You need a great story too right? If the OS is fantastic but the hardware is shaky and starts to crumble, its over. Here in India, like I said, phones cost a bomb. So exchanging or changing one is one uphill task.
And she is one of those kinds who keep a phone for a pretty long time...2-3 years easily.
Hmm...black is a safe bet I see.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
get the phone in black so you wouldn't notice any discoloration if any was to happen, then a nice fitting case in red? the case i have even has the rubber feeling of the phone so i dont even notice it if am honest

This makes sense. Could you link me to a case you are talking about...would like to see it. Thanx for the suggestion.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Um..may be I wasn't clear...she asked me what phone..obviously no one asks what OS :p
So I said 920, 8X or the OneX. She just instantly fell in love with 8X. But you are right about "staying with an OS" bit. She has done her bit of research and that's y she picked 8X. If u see most reviews on YouTube, there is one common thing, that its ultra fast. That was enough.
But great characters alone don't make the film a success. You need a great story too right? If the OS is fantastic but the hardware is shaky and starts to crumble, its over. Here in India, like I said, phones cost a bomb. So exchanging or changing one is one uphill task.
And she is one of those kinds who keep a phone for a pretty long time...2-3 years easily.
Hmm...black is a safe bet I see.

I said OS because I figured there are enough users on here to understand what I'm referring to. I'm glad to hear "she" fell in love with the 8X. I just cringe when I see posts about "how do I convince my boy/girlfriend/husband/wife to go with WP?" Sounds like you offered her a variety of phones and she went with what she liked. Remember, the 8X is a brand new phone, there will be some bugs to be worked out.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I said OS because I figured there are enough users on here to understand what I'm referring to. I'm glad to hear "she" fell in love with the 8X. I just cringe when I see posts about "how do I convince my boy/girlfriend/husband/wife to go with WP?" Sounds like you offered her a variety of phones and she went with what she liked. Remember, the 8X is a brand new phone, there will be some bugs to be worked out.

Like I said, I wasn't clear and that's my bad...sorry. yea, there were a few things she asked me the phone should have. Hence I arrived at those 3. All are big, all are fast, and all are, well latest. :p
But she wanted a simple phone and yet being the latest. So that way >WP8 > 8X.
If those 2 Lumia 920 threads with the shattered screen makes ME shudder, she is out of question.

Jastow

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Don't go to Iphone if you are worried about shattered screens, because my wife has shattered 2 of them by simply dropping them (once without a case). Two things my wife doesn't like about the 8x experience so far:
1. some of the apps she used to use on IOS aren't available here and many of the ones that are need lots of work.
2. Her 8x's sound works intermittently and requires a restart, which fixes the issue only some of the time. This maybe device specific and require a swap out, so not a huge deal as long as she gets a working one eventually.

We were both bored with IOS and she didn't think the Iphone 5 was worth the upgrade and relied on me to do the research. If your friend can live without many of the apps that IOS has and doesn't mind waiting through all the software/app refinements, then this could be a nice fresh change for her. My wife was pissed she didn't have any music to listen to during the zappos RockandRoll Las Vegas Marathon (audio stopped just before the race) and was ready to go pay full price for an Iphone. I bet the red looks nice and her exterior color hasn't faded yet (purple, 1 month of use).

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Don't go to Iphone if you are worried about shattered screens, because my wife has shattered 2 of them by simply dropping them (once without a case). Two things my wife doesn't like about the 8x experience so far:
1. some of the apps she used to use on IOS aren't available here and many of the ones that are need lots of work.
2. Her 8x's sound works intermittently and requires a restart, which fixes the issue only some of the time. This maybe device specific and require a swap out, so not a huge deal as long as she gets a working one eventually.

We were both bored with IOS and she didn't think the Iphone 5 was worth the upgrade and relied on me to do the research. If your friend can live without many of the apps that IOS has and doesn't mind waiting through all the software/app refinements, then this could be a nice fresh change for her. My wife was pissed she didn't have any music to listen to during the zappos RockandRoll Las Vegas Marathon (audio stopped just before the race) and was ready to go pay full price for an Iphone. I bet the red looks nice and her exterior color hasn't faded yet (purple, 1 month of use).

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, iPhone is definitely out. The app bit does worry me too. But I have already told her about it & she says she's OK. Could you name a few that are absent or are not as good as on iOS?
Also, she is a Music fan. What is this DRM thing I am hearing? She may be having some Hindi songs that are downloaded off the net and not bought. Would it be a problem to load it on the phone?
And since u have the purple I ask, you don't have any black lines, discoloration on the edges, and random reboot issues right?

Jastow

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Voxer is one; all her work buddies communicate through that program and it isn't available on MS. I'd have to get specific names from her later on, basically games like Sudoku; she can't find her favorite one on MS, but did find others to play. Urban spoon on WP doesn't seem to show as many restaurants (not surprising if it uses Nokia maps), but Yelp seems to be OK. They just updated the FB app and I personally like it and she didn't seem to have an issue with it before. I'll have to get back to you with specific names.
I thought DRM was copyright protection, which I don't have that issue like some, and maybe someone else can chime in on this one. I know there are several threads discussing the work arounds, but I don't believe there is an actual solution.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Voxer is one; all her work buddies communicate through that program and it isn't available on MS. I'd have to get specific names from her later on, basically games like Sudoku; she can't find her favorite one on MS, but did find others to play. Urban spoon on WP doesn't seem to show as many restaurants (not surprising if it uses Nokia maps), but Yelp seems to be OK. They just updated the FB app and I personally like it and she didn't seem to have an issue with it before. I'll have to get back to you with specific names.
I thought DRM was copyright protection, which I don't have that issue like some, and maybe someone else can chime in on this one. I know there are several threads discussing the work arounds, but I don't believe there is an actual solution.

Thanks again. But my concern is hardware. If it is going to start fading, she might as well go for a black.

Klaric

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I have had my red 8X for 3 weeks. No problems at all, no streaking, phone still looks new. Just waiting for my OS update on verizon!

Jastow

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
My wife's 8X hasn't faded or developed streaks. She also has a cover bought on Ebay that has the same texture, but is rubbing off LOL Seems the phone is more durable than the cover made to protect it.

Sav_OK

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
My wife's 8X hasn't faded or developed streaks. She also has a cover bought on Ebay that has the same texture, but is rubbing off LOL Seems the phone is more durable than the cover made to protect it.

would sooner have the case take the wear then the phone tho lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12