whats the difference between outlook and live mail?

mach1man

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
What is the difference between live mail and outlook? I'm getting to switch everything over from google and gmail and I'm a lil confused on what account to go with? Also how do I know what my microsoft account is? when I set the phone up I used my gamer tag email address but its connected to an aol I'm just trying to consolidate all of my accounts to one. I'm trying to be 100% windows!!!

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
well there isn't really. you can just sign in using your Hotmail address into Outlook.com. that's what I did. you just upgrade from the inbox page

Also Outlook.com is much cleaner and it can get rid of more spam than Hotmail. also there's an upcoming feature where you can Skype someone using Outlook.com

mach1man

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
ok bc I'm following the How-to in the forum section and it shows either hotmail or live. Should I go with Live?
Is Live a regular email account and if I do this and get all of my gmail transferred to my live will I have to factory reset the phone to add my live account?

sportrckr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Outlook is just an updated version of live mail. If you already have a live email account, you can log into outlook.com with it and then through the settings options you can upgrade your email address to be @outlook.com.

As far as the Microsoft account, if the email you have associated to your gamertag is an AOL account than your AOL email is your Microsoft account. I believe that ideally if you wanted to be 100% Microsoft, you would have signed up for a new Microsoft acount when you logged into the phone thus generating a new @outlook.com email. I'm not sure if you can change the email associated with your Microsoft account, or how that plays in with the phone.

mach1man

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Ok cool so I can sign up for an outlook account and move my emails there and contacts. I talked to xbox live once and they said that I'd have to open a new account and not sign into xbox live for 30days then I could switch my tag over

Alex Rodriguez

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Outlook is just an updated version of live mail. If you already have a live email account, you can log into outlook.com with it and then through the settings options you can upgrade your email address to be @outlook.com.

As far as the Microsoft account, if the email you have associated to your gamertag is an AOL account than your AOL email is your Microsoft account. I believe that ideally if you wanted to be 100% Microsoft, you would have signed up for a new Microsoft acount when you logged into the phone thus generating a new @outlook.com email. I'm not sure if you can change the email associated with your Microsoft account, or how that plays in with the phone.

As far as i know you still need using the Hotmail, Live account to sign in but once you are inside the outlook interface you can create aliases and then when you email someone it gives you the option to email it with the Hotmail, Live account or with the alias you create yourname@outlook.com

Rename your account to an outlook.com email address - Microsoft Windows

Add an outlook.com alias to your account - Microsoft Windows Help

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ge...switch-completely-gmail-outlook-live-com.html

mach1man

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Just made an outlook.com email account and it was easy and switching the emails was pretty easy, well at least getting them to forward them till I have time to go it each website and payment company to change my email info

JamesTBurns

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Man I was wondering the same thing. I want to move all my stuff to Outlook, I'm confused on the difference between Hotmail, Windows Live, and Outlook. I'm kind of an MS noob so bare with me please.

sportrckr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Windows Live connects you to the many Microsoft services, and this is usually associated with the email you most commonly log into the service with, which is usually Hotmail.

Hotmail is the site (service) where you can log in and access your email.

Outlook is the replacement to Hotmail, where it looks like Microsoft is trying to combine everything from Windows Live and Hotmail. If you currently have a Windows Live or Hotmail account, it will continue to work but you'll be using a different web portal to log in (ie: outlook.com)

@mach1man: When you added your outlook mail as an account to the phone, it should have created another "app" called Outlook (or if you named the account something else it would be named that) and it should be in the list of all your apps. From there you can pin it to the start screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077