Does your 8X have worn backing? What's the hardware revision number.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Surprised we haven't see and revision 0003 from any carrier but Tmobile (I Think!) hmm, and the people with Revision 0002, how often do you use your phone? I use my phone a lot (in and out of pocket every 5 minutes AT LEAST) so maybe the 0002 Revision with no black corners is due to light usage!

xilammalix

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
8X Blue. Hardware version 0003. Having light fade issues on all 4 corners... Argh! This is why I wanted the black one! Damn Verizon buying rights to colors!

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Blue 0002 from ATT. Had the phone for about a month now, spends most of its life in my front pocket and going in and out of my pocket. No discoloration at all.

mynameisJohn_q

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Surprised we haven't see and revision 0003 from any carrier but Tmobile (I Think!) hmm, and the people with Revision 0002, how often do you use your phone? I use my phone a lot (in and out of pocket every 5 minutes AT LEAST) so maybe the 0002 Revision with no black corners is due to light usage!
in reality I think the different hardware revision is due to the lack of LTE for the tmo version.

wiibrewer

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Black 8x, on verizon, HW revision 2. The back and sides of my phone are fine. My discoloration is at the bottom corners. At least for the black model, there is a layer of coating that gives it the matte finish, and underneath this layer is the actual shell of the phone, which is also black. I think the discoloration we are seeing is from this layer wearing thin. However, on my phone, I dropped it on its corners once or twice. My layer is not discolored, it is completely peeled away, exposing the smooth black plastic in the corners. Oh, and its also around the USB hub. It shows no signs of stopping, because the edges of the layer are now peeling back.
Real sloppy HTC. You should have caught this within 1 week of testing.

Edit: In short, its not your phone getting dirty, but the outer soft touch layer wearing thin.

Last edited:

Blaggle

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I've got a black 8X with soft coating peeling off the edges revealing smooth black plastic underneath. I've had it 1 month. HW Rev 0002

Enz

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
AT&T Blue 8X Revision 0002. I just got my second one in the mail, after experiencing this problem with the first. Amazon was good enough to replace it since it was only 3 weeks. I this this thread makes it clear that HW Rev. Probably doesn't have anything to do with the issue. Anyone else apply a screen protector that comes with spray? Zagg, Armorsuit, Skinomi? I noticed it after I applied the screen protector one night, so I wondered if the spray was the culprit. The only thing I care about is the reason for the discolouration so that I may adjust accordingly.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Well still im a heavy user 600 text this month and 12gb memory used so far (only one movie) and STILL no coating discoloration, and I have hardware rev. 0003. I used jean every weekend and just got done using new black scrubs with it and STILL nothing. :| maybe I'm lucky??

AzelDazel

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Hardware revision 0002 From Three UK (Unlocked) Cali Blue
had really bad blackening of the corners and back after about 3 weeks of use. HTC took it into their repair centre and changed the whole backing at no cost to myself.
I have had it in a case since it got back and have been very concious about putting it in any dark coloured jeans or jackets for any significant amount of time and i still see the corners starting to darken again.
I'm at a lose as to what to do, seriously considering cutting my losses, selling it on and going for a lumia 920.

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
0002, no black edges, but considering that I have school and wear the same uniform every weekday, I don't expect blackening. Jeans only about once a week, and 3 weeks since I've owned my 8X.

I do wear those cheap jeans that cost 10 dollars, won't be surprised if it starts to blacken.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb