Nokia Drive on the 8X?

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
This is my first HTC, so I don't have much experience with the company. Anyone ever used HTC Locations before? How does it compare to Navigon or Garminstreet pilot?

I used it on my HTC HD7 WP7.5 and honestly it worked pretty well!! I can't tell you the comparison between HTC Locations, Navigon or Garmin since Navigon is not available in Canada for WP and I don't feel like spending more money for a GPS app like Garmin.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Nokia Drive for all Windows Phone 8 smartphones – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog

"Today, we are making Nokia Drive available to other Windows Phone 8 partners to offer a turn-by-turn navigation experience for people in over 110 countries"

As BigRThanHuge already mentioned, making Nokia Drive available to OEM's that wish to license it is entirely different from Nokia Drive coming to all WP devices. The exact meaning of the post you linked to was discussed in more detail here.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
What sucks is that the way that Nokia and Microsoft told that Nokia Drive would be on all WP8 devices....offered it to other OEMs. In my opinion since Nokia provides the Maps for WP8 they should of put Drive, Maps....in the built-in OS or at least put it in the Store so people can still buy it if they want to.

Neither Microsoft or Nokia ever made the statement you're saying they did. That is why I asked for a link. Microsoft could have communicated better, but apparently many readers also struggle with reading comprehension. Both issues combined result in a lot of misinformation...

Last edited:

kmann1994

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
This is what I saw on that same thread you posted:

Thanks for contacting HTC!

Nokia said that Nokia Drive will be available for all Windows 8 phones, this however is up to the manufacturer, we are currently reviewing the possibility of bringing Nokia Drive in our future releases and as an update. Meanwhile, you may try some applications on the Windows marketplace that have voice GPS navigation such as Garmin Streetpilot.

ny_yankees

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I used it on my HTC HD7 WP7.5 and honestly it worked pretty well!! I can't tell you the comparison between HTC Locations, Navigon or Garmin since Navigon is not available in Canada for WP and I don't feel like spending more money for a GPS app like Garmin.

Thanks Im coming from a Droid, and google maps have been very good for me. Im hoping Locations is just as well and htc gets it to us asap

IainWhite

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My bet is HTC is licensing Nokia Drive for general navigation/maps functionality - and rebranding it as HTC Locations..possibly with one or two customizations as development funds permit.

danwanna

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I bought Navigon USA but it looks like it doesn't work in the background like Drive does (I have an 822) too. Is there something I'm missing?

eshy

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree, but I don't know what the business model is here. I am sure Nokia would rather you buy a Nokia phone than just buy Nokia Drive from the store. They also don't want to directly compete with Garmin, Navigon etc. who use their maps in their navigation programs / devices. So if Nokia starts undercutting everyone on GPS apps, then they are going to hurt their NUMEROUS partners who buy their maps. So this is really a much bigger than HTC Windows phones, it's a big part of Nokia's business.

In saying that, I don't know why the heck they said they'd offer it to other OEM's. Clearly they couldn't work out the right deal / terms. It's really hurt Nokia in a lot of ways because I think a lot of people bought the 8X over another device, thinking they may get Nokia Drive. People that have bought the 8X under that assumption are also unsure who to be angry with, Nokia? HTC? Microsoft? In the end, you just don't get what you wanted.

It's easy for me to say 'just buy the Nokia', but I get that if you want an HD Screen on Verizon you only have one choice. In saying that, there is going to be more and more stuff coming from Nokia. Going forward it seems there will be more options for devices though.

I don't think Nokia was planning on selling Nokia Drive directly to users, they were probably trying to license it to other OEMs because that means they get paid for each device sold without the need to convince users to buy the app. If HTC's Locations uses the same offline maps that would mean they did work out some deal but HTC doesn't want a Nokia app on their phones.

I assume what you meant is that Nokia saying Drive will be offered to other OEMs might have lost them some sales because consumers figured they'll get it anyway, but anyone who heard that statement probably also knew it's not a done deal.

Optimus82

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
sucks about nokia drive not being available on other manufacturer handsets(understandable) but at the same time people on the htc hd2 that shipped with window mobile 6.5 can run wp 7.8 with the full suite of nokia apps lol

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
My wife installed Navigon on her "HTC WP 8X" and loves it. I have it on my Nokia WP 822. I've mentioned this on another forum, I have researched and tried a number of GPS software programs on mobile over the years and I think Navigon is the best and is the most full featured. It has been on sale for $29 (down from $49) recently. I think it is worth many times that price. A few of the key features: It uses NAVTEQ maps. They are owned by Nokia and I think they are also the best maps. The software downloads the maps to your phone so you don't lose navigation when you lose your data connection. It has voice directions including street names and lane change guidance. There is also Speed Limit data and adjustable speeding warnings. There are traffic information functions, but I haven't investigated how that works or if it works in the USA. And more...

Final-MacGyver

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
My wife installed Navigon on her "HTC WP 8X" and loves it. I have it on my Nokia WP 822. I've mentioned this on another forum, I have researched and tried a number of GPS software programs on mobile over the years and I think Navigon is the best and is the most full featured. It has been on sale for $29 (down from $49) recently. I think it is worth many times that price. A few of the key features: It uses NAVTEQ maps. They are owned by Nokia and I think they are also the best maps. The software downloads the maps to your phone so you don't lose navigation when you lose your data connection. It has voice directions including street names and lane change guidance. There is also Speed Limit data and adjustable speeding warnings. There are traffic information functions, but I haven't investigated how that works or if it works in the USA. And more...

I was going to purchase this today. Price went back up to $49.99

busngabb

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Navigon in the UK is priced at ?73.99 which equates to 120 us dollars. That isn't an option and a free app like all other platforms have would be fantastic. Where is Nokia Drive? And where is HTC Locations?

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm jumping ship to AT&T to get the Lumia 920. Nokia Drive made the decision easier, but Verizon disabling group messaging is plain ridiculous.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett