8gb owners - any problems managing storage?

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Got my son this thinking "8 gig, no problem" but then noticed something like 3 gigs are taken up by system files. So he'll really start off with less than five gigs of storage... I can see that filling right up with apps and games... little unsure of myself now...

Nophix

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Nope, but I don't store a bunch of video locally. I have a few games and apps, and a couple podcasts. Still have around 4gb free.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I am more worried about games than anything. I can show him how to store photos and music on Skydrive, and honestly he gets most of his music from Youtube, so that's no biggy. I am not super familiar with games on WP though - when I had one, I used mostly social word games and the like, but on my Android phone, I have games that over a gig.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The only thing which I find eats up a lot of storage on mine is the "Other" category which seems to continue to grow over time. It's things like application data, web cache, etc. but there is no real insight into exactly what it is or how to effectively clear it other than doing a hard reset of the phone. I have a 8GB 8X and currently my "Other" is using 2.1GB, larger than anything else...

SaucePolicy

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
16GB 8X owner here with out of control "other" storage and no way to reign it in. 2.71GB wasted with no way to reduce it. I'm thinking there's an app eating up the space but aside from doing a full reset and starting from scratch I have no idea how to reduce it. I thought it would free itself when needed but trying to download galaga today it told me I need to make more room even though the game is only 114MB and I have 916MB free.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've seen some Lumia 920 owners with like 10GB of "other." It's ridiculous at this point with no way to figure out what it might be or limit its usage.

ImAdrian23

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Do not worry about the other category. It will go down as you are running low on space. It is used to speed up IE10 caches/maps (or something like that).
^Afaik from forums/bing etc.

SaucePolicy

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Something must be wrong with my phone the because the other storage doesn't go down by itself and I've gotten my free space as low as around 100MB. Maybe I do need to do a reset.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720