IS anyone using the Verizon HTC 8X on tmobile or AT&T in U.S.?

kj_wp

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I am interested in purchasing the Verizon HTC 8X for use on t-mobile or AT&T in U.S.

Any suggestions? I know you can buy and the GSM radio is unlocked but wanted to know if there are any issues. Thanks in advance.

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I was in a similar situation you are in, I wanted wireless charging on ATT. My reading led to multiple reports of texts not sending correctly, so I played it safe. You could always try it and return the device if it doesn't work though.

heywhitmarsh

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I'd really like to see how Verizon's 8x works on T-Mobile. I'm going to be switching from Verizon to T-Mobile in the coming months, and if I can use my Verizon 8x I can get on a T-Mobile monthly plan and save even more money a month. On paper it looks like it should work fine, I just hope the phone doesn't have a crippled HSPA radio that will slow down the data speeds.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
There are multiple posts from people who use a Verizon 8X on AT&T. You need a AT&T SIM for an 8X and you need to adjust the APN settings to be able to have internet and sms/mms. I have posted the settings on this forum. Should not be a problem. However the Verizon phone will only get you 3G on AT&T.

nrk1980

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I have been using the Verizon 8x on T-Mobile for the past few weeks. In my aread, tmobile has refarmed the 1900 Mhz spectrum, so I get 3G in many places, but not all. Visual voicemail works without any issues and so far haven't found any dealbreakers !!

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Here's the problem, what if you get an update that blocks the AT&T APN? I am pretty sure I read that you couldn't use the Verizon Trophy (CDMA/GSM) on AT&T. I might be wrong, but I am pretty sure I read that it was blocked.

mikeyfernandez

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm using the verizon 8x on my t-mobile sim. I currently am getting 3G-hspa+ speeds on my phone.

However my picture mms messages do not work, sometimes people do not receive my texts, and Internet sharing/tethering is unavailable.

If there is a fix for that, this phone would be awesome.

Side notes: mms apn settings won't save after I try changing it, and verizon has the mobile hotspot disabled only for verizon customers

kj_wp

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone. Appreciate all the comments and feedback. I'll keep reading the posts but I'm leaning towards unbranded after all I've read. I favor 3G (hspa+) because of availability and cost. Still haven't found killer 4G app.

heywhitmarsh

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok I just switched from Verizon to T-Mobile today. Hello unlimited 3G+!!! the fastest I've seen on my phone is 3 mbps down, which is sufficient for just about everything.

In the area where I get 3mbps down a T-Mobile branded handset got 4mbps. It's probably a slight radio difference and i'll update this when I have full hspa+ service and see what kind of download speeds I can get with my Verizon branded phone.

Lastly, I didn't have to punch in any apn settings for messaging to work, it just worked with no problems at all.

As a bonus you still get data sense to keep track of your data if you are interested, but you can't get any of the t-mobile exclusive apps

If you have questions PM me, I'll try and respond quickly but I can't guarantee that.

heywhitmarsh

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Here's another update. If you're area has 850/1900 HSPA+ you will have glorious service with Verizon's 8x.

If you're in an area with very little 850/1900 HSPA then you will spend a lot of time on EDGE, which sucks.

Unfortunately in San Diego where I live I'm on edge about half the time. Which means I can always call and text, but data is painfully slow.

I would strongly advise against using a Verizon 8x on T-Mobile unless you know you'll get 850/1900 HSPA+ coverage where you live and you don't travel.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3