how durable is the windows phone 8x?

dookie dave

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
i got an 8x!. 1 thing i noticed is when i press on the back cover, right below the camera, above the htc logo, the plastic bends a little and makes a mushy noise. anyone else getting this?

seriously considering getting the HTC windows phone 8X, but, been hearing bad things on the durability of the htc windows phone 8x
i carry my current phone in my back pocket all the time and sit on it all the time with no problems, iphone 3g
not really worried about drop testing, i just leave my phone in pocket a lot, so i wouldnt want a phone that cracks when sat on.
i want to know from people who have the phone.
have you sat on the HTC 8X phone while its in your back pocket? did it mess it up?
and if there are any other problems or good things i should know about the durability of it before buying please let me know!

Last edited:

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Well the screen is gorilla glass 2 which is supposedly stronger than original gorilla glass. Either way tho personally I wouldn't put any phone in my back pocket no matter how durable it is

dookie dave

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Well the screen is gorilla glass 2 which is supposedly stronger than original gorilla glass. Either way tho personally I wouldn't put any phone in my back pocket no matter how durable it is

put the 8x and sit on it and tell me what happennss! lol
i just need to know because if i did try not to sit on it i would probably forget once in a while

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
depends what you consider durable I guess... lots of stained device around and the coating pealing off BUT I haven't seen/head of to many broken devices.

the screen is gg2 buttttt can't get scratched easy due to the glass having a coating over it.

rohan fernandez

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I just bought the 8X and i just dropped it. Dropped it down an escalator. The rim around the screen on the right side and the bottom kind of moved out of place, but i could easily click it back into place just by pushing it.It just felt like clicking a battery cover back into place.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
What has happened to people? I put my Omnia 7 in my back pocket when I need to and its flung out of my pyjamas countless times. It's dropped onto concrete and slipped off my bed onto a metal trundle bed beneath more than once. It's kind of sad that we no longer expect durability from our phones.

wazup113

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
What has happened to people? I put my Omnia 7 in my back pocket when I need to and its flung out of my pyjamas countless times. It's dropped onto concrete and slipped off my bed onto a metal trundle bed beneath more than once. It's kind of sad that we no longer expect durability from our phones.
Well we keep on getting bigger displays thinner designs and more fancy designs. You can find phones that are built like tanks but since the iPhone 4 its been alot how pretty it is and I honestly dont mind at all

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

I didn't say that I'm not expecting it to be durable which I'm sure it is (polycarbonate and GG usually is). It's just that I wouldn't put it in my back pocket regardless.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Don't put the 8X in your back pocket. The 8X is long and thus there will be too much torque on the glass and it will break. Remember Gorilla Glass 2 is very thin and the LCD2 is laminated into it. If you want to do that, you need to buy a solid case for your 8X.

Last edited:

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

The iPhone 4 came out with its glass front and back, we got bigger displays, thinner devices, all which are bad for durability
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Npakaderm

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I was texting at a crowded concert and someone slammed into my arm which sent my phone flying approximately 8-10 feet out of my hands, it landed on its corner on a concrete floor falling from a height of about 3 feet and didn't show any signs of scratching/damage at all. It's pretty durable but I will mention that I've been carrying mine in my pocket (nothing else in the pocket AT ALL) not in a case and the midnight blue is starting to get a little discolored mostly around the corners, haven't tried cleaning it yet to see if it's dye from my jeans or something and it's only noticeable in bright light.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I have found a few hairline (like, REALLY LITTLE hairline) scratches on my phone after just a few weeks with it. It was most always in my hip pocket with nothing else to scratch the screen (no keys, wallet, etc.). However, if you are very careful with it and buy a case or screen protector if you think necessary, you should be fine.

dookie dave

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I was texting at a crowded concert and someone slammed into my arm which sent my phone flying approximately 8-10 feet out of my hands, it landed on its corner on a concrete floor falling from a height of about 3 feet and didn't show any signs of scratching/damage at all. It's pretty durable but I will mention that I've been carrying mine in my pocket (nothing else in the pocket AT ALL) not in a case and the midnight blue is starting to get a little discolored mostly around the corners, haven't tried cleaning it yet to see if it's dye from my jeans or something and it's only noticeable in bright light.

speaking of color wearing off, i dont want to get the limelight green for att, im hoping black will be announced for att but if not, i will probably get blue if a i get this phone,

will the color/soft coating last 2 years? i mean ... i heard the coating comes off pretty fast, and you are saying yours is discolored, probably the soft coating coming off...
att store phone (the public model) has the same problem, the corners are stripped of the coating...

hipporama

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I have found a few hairline (like, REALLY LITTLE hairline) scratches on my phone after just a few weeks with it. It was most always in my hip pocket with nothing else to scratch the screen (no keys, wallet, etc.). However, if you are very careful with it and buy a case or screen protector if you think necessary, you should be fine.

The hairline scratches are probably scratches on the oleophobic coating rather than on the actual glass.

segadc

Apr 12, 2008
Visit site
Got it on the 24th. Too early to tell but seems kind of tough. Glad I got the fatboy since I get scared plugging in the cable. I am tempting to buy a screen protector.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon