HTC: "Don't carry your phone in your jeans"

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
So....if I get a 8X...should I get it in black to be able to carry it in my jeans ? I am one who always wears Jeans, I can wear them to work and everywhere else, so I do. I hate phone cases, so I would NEVER use it as it makes phones too big.

So what is my options ? Pull the phone apart, take back part(colored part) to someone who paints and put a coat of clear coat over it, then it should be fine, right ?

Seriously, $549.99 for a phone and you put in your pocket and paint will come off ? Who designs these things ? I smell a class action lawsuit because of this....just a matter of time...

With my current choices with Verizon, This would be the only option for me so I dont have much of a choice. The Nokia 822 screen is too low res for me, HD or bust... sorry. There must be a work around for it...

surfwashingtabs

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
It'd be pointless getting someone to paint it - that paint can just as easily, if not more easily chip/scratch and wear away. Plus you'd likely void your warranty, and the soft finish the device is promoted so heavily for, would be gone. I'd risk it if you really like the device - not a massive amount of people face this issue, it's just those who are, like myself, are speaking about it.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
They have a point, some jeans and other pants do rub off quite easily. I'm on my second white case, my jeans rub them black and blue after not very long. We shouldn't be expecting our phones to be made out of indestructible material, if you're worried about it put a case on it. You can't seriously expect nothing to happen with hours of friction on your device every day in your pocket. They aren't made out of unobtanium.

surfwashingtabs

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
They have a point, some jeans and other pants do rub off quite easily. I'm on my second white case, my jeans rub them black and blue after not very long. We shouldn't be expecting our phones to be made out of indestructible material, if you're worried about it put a case on it. You can't seriously expect nothing to happen with hours of friction on your device every day in your pocket. They aren't made out of unobtanium.

I can expect for the colour of my device not to change - it never has with any other smartphone, the HTC Mozart, HTC Titan, the Lumia 800 (I owned two, black and cyan) and the HTC sensation. Everyone else finds it odd. And no, I don't want to use a case - and I don't expect an indestructible phone. I do however expect HTC's design department to fully think through decisions before a release, most smartphone users carry their phones in a pocket, and the device isn't sold with a warning, OR a case. Hence, I expect that after a month, my device may be scratched, but not turning from blue to black.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
No phone will stay unmarked without a case. Whatever layer is exposed will catch the scratches, chips, dents, and in this case constant friction probably mixed with a little sweat. There are plenty of tpu cases that are thin and unobtrusive, if you don't want to use them then your phone chassis will just have to pay the price. That's nothing new.

olivercorb

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed that on my 8X (which i got on Christmas Day) already has a black mark appearing, although it doesn't look like it could have been caused by dye. it's a small patch with well defined edges, and it isn't on the corner of the device; more on the side of it. if it was dye rubbing into the coating i'd expect it to be a more gradual staining rather than an actual mark that is black the whole way through...the best way to describe it is like an ink blot, but i haven't even used a pen since getting it so it definitely isn't that! i'll try to get a picture of it but I just wondered if anyone else was experiencing this sort of thing.

surfwashingtabs

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
No phone will stay unmarked without a case. Whatever layer is exposed will catch the scratches, chips, dents, and in this case constant friction probably mixed with a little sweat. There are plenty of tpu cases that are thin and unobtrusive, if you don't want to use them then your phone chassis will just have to pay the price. That's nothing new.

No, scratches are one thing. But the selling point of this device is the soft coating and colour. Why put a case over soft coating that every single reviewer has praised? I'd be happy if we were talking about 8 months of use, but less than a month is clearly a design fault/ As other people have mentioned.

surfwashingtabs

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed that on my 8X (which i got on Christmas Day) already has a black mark appearing, although it doesn't look like it could have been caused by dye. it's a small patch with well defined edges, and it isn't on the corner of the device; more on the side of it. if it was dye rubbing into the coating i'd expect it to be a more gradual staining rather than an actual mark that is black the whole way through...the best way to describe it is like an ink blot, but i haven't even used a pen since getting it so it definitely isn't that! i'll try to get a picture of it but I just wondered if anyone else was experiencing this sort of thing.

I have that on my blue device - and so do others, even on these forums. It's the same thing, and HTC are replacing/repairing handsets or telling others not to put them in a pocket.

JohanX

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone found a good way to clean the dark spots off the 8X, or is it due to the colored coating wearing off?

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I've had my California Blue 8X since early December and have no marks or scratches on it. What the **** are you people doing to your phones?

dol4er

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Mine is black, 2 months old, I carry it in my pocket only (without a case) and it is like brand new - no problems with the corners at all.

jgraves4480

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Carrying change, keys, toothpicks, etc. The usual stuff. Mines in an otterbox and has a few blemishes on the USB port. Can't seem to find the hole in the dark! Mine just seems to collect dust in or out of a case, but corners look new still.

inssane

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Response to initial comment by HTC at the top:

"OK, I will put the phone in my chest pocket from now on. Are drops covered under warranty though for when it falls out of my pocket every time I lean over? At least the coating won't come off."

surfwashingtabs

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Just imagine if it were Apple telling people they shouldn't carry their iPhone in their pocket. Yet so many people are seemingly defending HTC for no valid reason - other than they "like" the company. Silly fanboys. Besides, it's a clear indication that a minority of us are facing this problem, whilst many users are not, therefore leading support for the argument that it is an issue with a certain core of 8S/8X handsets.

surfwashingtabs

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
This might provide more insight for those who are affected:

"Despite being sent pictures of my device, HTC have responded saying there is no design fault, and discolouration is due to "user mis-use", in that, I should be using a case, or not carrying my phone in my pocket.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/914471 (
Red 8X) - "Corners of my red HTC 8X are turning black"
" "
(Red 8X) – "I have a red 8X as well, and the corners are starting to bother me" " "
(Blue 8X) – "I have the blue one...same problem"

http://forums.windowscentral.com/htc-8x/204383-dirty-corners.html
(Blue 8X) - "I have a Blue HTC 8X and I've noticed after a week the corners of the phone are really dirty and it's only been in my pockets. It's not like I have dirty pockets but the corners (all four) have started to stain black/dirty"
" " (Yellow 8X) –"Hmm, I noticed this on the yellow display model at AT&T but assumed it was just since so many people handled that"
" "(Blue 8X) - "Yep I am getting these marks aswell"
" " (Blue 8X) – "Yes! I've had my Blue 8X for about a week and a half and all the corners have turned black. I hardly keep it in my pocket either - I hope it's not the colour wearing off!"
" " (8X) –"I sent my phone back to the retailer to get a Black replacement"
" " (Blue 8X) - "I bought the Blue 8X because every phone I've owned has been black and I wanted to have something different, I guess this has been a lesson learnt!"
" " (8X) "This thing picks up dirt like CRAZY. Its the soft plastic skin. Thats why im making my own case"
" " (8X) "I have 2, both the same, all 4 corners discolouring"

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ht...n-backing-whats-hardware-revision-number.html (I’ve been careful not to post duplicate complaints) – (Blue 8X) "Worn Edges"
" " (Red 8X) – "Red 8X, hardware revision 002. Corners are turning black after about three weeks of ownership"
" " (Blue 8X) – "I have a Blue 8x Revision number 0002 for about 3 weeks now, black corners and edge near the volume rocker."
" " (Red 8X) – "I have a Red Verizon 8X, worn bottom corners"
" " (Blue 8X) – "Rev 0002 blue OEM (from Clove) - all four corners are black and some slight discolouration on the back. It's such a shame :("

http://forums.windowscentral.com/htc-8x/209409-2.htm (2nd Blue 8X) – "2nd blue 8X and starting to get the dark corners"
" " (Blue 8X) – "Having light fade issues on all 4 corners... Argh"
" " (Blue 8X) – "Blue 0002 on Verizon. Some discoloration on the corners. Had it about a month, and I don't carry it in my pocket"
" " (Blue 8X) – "Revision 0002 on Verizon, blue...Discoloration on corners and on the back"

http://forums.windowscentral.com/htc-8x/206735-anyone-else-having-discolouring-corners-htc-8x.html (Yet more complaints and owners)

http://forums.windowscentral.com/htc-8x/204448-phone-getting-dirty.html (Yet more, including pictures)

Quality Problem - "Dirty Corners" - No Satement from HTC !!! - xda-developers (Yet more complaints, including pictures) "

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99