HTC: "Don't carry your phone in your jeans"

sharpcyrcle

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I think we should continue to investigate the hardware revision possibility. What's yours gibbage? I am actually very impressed with the 8xs ability to avoid visible damage. I have 2 (one that I dropped a decent bit before I got a case and the worst part is a shiny area that you can hardly see (and the unrelated cracked screen)
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I have 0003. I think its due to it being TMO, since I got it on launch day. There haven't been enough time to do a true hardware revision as it takes a lot of time to pass even a small change through the chain.

AzelDazel

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Mines been in their repair centre since the 7th, still waiting for them to contact me about what they will be doing, if they replace/fix it or claim its not covered under warranty. I'll update here as soon as i hear from them.
Mine was revision 0002 by the way, from three UK (was an unlocked/unbranded device)

AzelDazel

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
So my phone came back to me today from HTC UK repair centre, its my same phone i sent, they seem to have reapplied the backing colours and it all looks like perfect now. Didn't have to pay a penny as it was all covered on the warranty.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
That doesn't make any sense at all, why do you think its your phone? If anything, they dropped your phone in a new poly-carbonate unibody

Bruno Tavares1

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Sent mine to repair today, same problem, revision 2.
The technician told me they will be replacing all the back body and maintain the same phone. Still , they are not applying new paint, they just replace the body fully.
This is ofc HTC support here in Portugal, not sure all act the same way

AzelDazel

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
That sounds more like what they did, must have replaced the back then, the rest is deffinately my old phone as its the same imei and has the same small scratch on the screen

Rups_apollo

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Like many 8X owners, the soft coating on the bottom and corners of my 8S is turning black - I thought I was seeing things, but it's actually as bad as I thought. I compared the device to a unit in store and that is blue and mine is more grey/black at the sides now.

So, what was HTC's response to a phone that's turning from blue to black within a month - and seemingly going to get worse?

"Exposing the phone to abrasive surfaces could color run the material of the unit (e.g. carry phones in pocket on jeans"

Well, there we have it, if you own a HTC 8S/8X don't put it in your jeans pocket.
This wouldn't happen if u used a cover with it. I m using 8x with a nillkin hard cover & for better protection, a soft leather pouch. My 8x is still like new one. :)

msdugn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
HTC says NOT to put the 8X in your pocket! Jeeze! Is that so hard to understand?!?!

You're suppossed to have it hover beside you in midair for whenever you need it.

Enz

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I just received my second 8x because the first had this problem.

First: if you don't own and HTC 8X, it's hard to understand the real issue, and even harder to understand the actual discolouration. In fact, I can't understand the discolouration myself. All I know is; I love the 8X and I was obsessively careful with it (I always am with new tech). The colour issue seemed to pop up out of nowhere, while the rest of the phone was immaculate. It was clear that it was some kind of fluke, or design flaw.

Second: I have tried a couple cases with the phone, and am even currently looking for more, but the reason I bought this phone over the Nokia 920, was because the the design. I wouldn't have considered buying it if the hardware and performance weren't great, but it was the colour, and design of physical properties that initially drew me to it, and ended up sealing the deal. Not only is it great to use, but it's great to hold (Just like the HTC and Windows Ads say.) I knew I would have to handle it carefully, and I did because I absolutely love the design. A design I don't want to change with a case. Some of the 920's features are better, and I probably would have gone with Nokia if they'd advertised the 8x in a Case!

Third: Beyond everything else, I want to understand the specific cause of this, so I can prevent it. I think the most plausible answer has to do with the soft touch sucking up dye. I do have one Question. How many of you have applied a screen protector that came with fluid: Armorshield, Zagg, Skinomi, etc... I only ask because I don't know what the fluid is, and I noticed the discolouration after I applied my second screen protector. The edged and the corners are where I wipe the excess solution from and the cloth that comes with the Armorsuit is black. Could this be a cause? I only ask because I am thinking about getting another clear armorshield to apply to the entire device, which would effectively protect it without altering it too much.

Sharukh Bhoelan

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Got this Phone since the 26th of january, and i just looked at my screen and it got 2 light scratches on it, wich looks like cracks..the corners are also black better get a hardcase/flip case and a screenprotector

Last edited:

D M2

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Only had my 8x for a week but it's been in and out of jeans pockets everyday, No covers or anything and there is not a single mark on it anywhere, Yet. Hardware revision 0002 from O2 UK

clbarker10

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Eh... That sucks. Lucky for me, I rarely wear jeans. I prefer pants that don't restrict my movement...on an unrelated note, why are jeans so popular outside of the inclusive work-related areas? I don't get much of society...blue jeans...apple...conformality...restrictive. No thank you.
Sorry, I got off topic. I know jeans are required in many areas of work and there are many people who feel that comfort is not in their best interest during their free time but maybe there is something one can do to reduce constant abrasions in this case. There are jeans available with fairly large pockets. A Zagg invisishield cover would completely advert this problem and that would set you back the cost of a good pair of jeans...seeing as how you would need multiple pairs of specific jeans to combat this issue the Zagg seems like a cost effective idea. The back pockets should help while walking (Not such a great idea if you forget you have it back there as you sit down).

I don't have any idea what the scope of affected users are but I do sympathize with you sir and anyone else who has had this issue. Try looking online for a bottle of touch-up paint that you could use to cover it up. Again, that sucks, especially if your sporting a nice red or blue etc. Good luck with that.

PS. Women just carry your purses.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss