Has The Lack Of Expandable Storage Been A Problem For You?

gpstrucker

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi.

I am still "on the fence" between the Lumia 822 and the 8x. I really like the look of the 8x but am wondering if the lack of sd card slot would become an issue after some time using it. I know that, at least at the moment, WP8 seems to use quite a bit of "other" space for it's own use (caching and the like, I suspect). So I am curious if those who have been using the 8x for a while are finding themselves running out of storage space on it.

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Nope, I dont put much music on there and just stream with Cloud Muzik and I have plenty of space left with the amount of apps I have installed

rew001

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
This is relative to the user. You know how much space you typically need on a smart phone. Nobody in this forum can sincerely answer this for you. For me personally, the 8X had enough storage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Not an issue for me. I rely on the cloud such as Skydrive and XBox Music. For the most part only files that I usually keep on the phone are photos taken with the phone.

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I agree about not needing much storage because of cloud sync. The biggest data hogs I have are podcasts and music. If you intend to store video then its a huge issue.

The only thing expandable memory would do for me is not having to make the choice of which subset of music I want to have available for offline playback as often.

We have both an 8x and 822 in our house. If I had to pick one and both were same price, I'd probably pick 822. I went into detail over that in a diff thread. Sorry no link, typing on phone.

Though we are now going to swap. She wants my 822 because she doesn't like the sharper corners on 8x. I'm excited to have the 'nicer' phone but will miss many things about this 822. Probably the power button the most. Power button on 8x....i really don't understand how that design made it through their design process, both location and feel. I just hope it gets easier with practice. I've turned her phone over 50 times though and STILL fumble with turning it on. Its that sort of thing that really gets old over the life of a contract!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
i have a little over 6GB left....

400-500 songs, 300 pics and my apps take up 900 MB(mostly games)

other is taking up about 2.6 GB
and system is 2.5 GB

so overall i'm alright.

gpstrucker

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
This is relative to the user. You know how much space you typically need on a smart phone. Nobody in this forum can sincerely answer this for you. For me personally, the 8X had enough storage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I was specifically asking about YOUR experience, not my expected use of the phone. I appreciate the reply.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Coming from a 64GB iPhone:

Yes. It was an issue from day 1. I finally got to the point to where I just don't use the 8X for audio anymore. I carry my SIMless iPhone for that.

tavisdunn

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I only have the HTC 8x 8GB version, considering i use netflix and rdio, i've never even come close to filling it up, always seem to have 2-3gigs free, even with a large amount of games installed.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
This has made me go back and examine which apps I truly need. Some apps I have downloaded and used once only to never use again.
Sent from Micah's Red Windows Phone 8X by HTC

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
This has made me go back and examine which apps I truly need. Some apps I have downloaded and used once only to never use again.
Sent from Micah's Red Windows Phone 8X by HTC

This is the biggest change I've seen since android. I'm not continuously searching for new apps. Part of it is that there just aren't as many great ones, but also because I like most the native solutions and am no longer obsessed with customizing.

Less apps means i free up a gig or two of space I'd normally be using.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I find the limit to be a pain. I thought of a 822 but, the limit of the non-HD display and the different display enough for me to say no on it. There is a lot better things about the 8X than the 822, camera, display, etc...both have wireless charging (that I love btw).

My biggest disapointment with the 8X is the lack of space, I have 2gb of apps, I have a moive or 2 and my space is less than 3gb free, that is with NO MUSIC at all and I like to keep music on my phone. I love WP8 and I do like the 8X but, if Verizon releases a high end WP8 phone with a MicroSDXC slot (HTC, Nokia or Microsoft), I will sell off this 8X right away for it. It bothers me that much.

When I got the 8X my options were a lower end Nokia or a Higher end HTC with space limits, No more low end phones for me. If there was a way to replace the "card" or something like there was for my Trophy, I would of done it already....

I'll never understand why HTC would release a higher end phone and limit it to 16gb...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes