Brightness adjustment

Doom At Last

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Setting brightness to Low does not even diminish screen brightness. Even Auto brightness is less bright than Low brightness.
Wtf? Anyone else notice this?
The level of brightness on my HD7 adjusted accordingly depending on the setting I chose..but not on 8x.

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I didn't like the Auto setting. It choose High many times a day which drains your battery faster. I set it to Medium and I've been very happy with that setting.
After the Portico update and some update from HTC I haven't tried the Auto setting again, though.

Marcos Hidalgo

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. I set it to auto about two days ago and not once has it changed brightness. Idk what's up with it.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

sportrckr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the auto setting could drop your brightness lower than what the low setting would do if you set it statically; however, the auto setting also caused significantly more battery drain because the algorithm would actually initially bump the brightness to high until it figured out what level it should be at. Constantly changing the brightness would the cause the battery to drain much quicker.

I have set mine to medium and don't have any problems, and the battery life was improved over when I was just using auto

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Mine was good, but after Portico the auto adjustment is useless. Pumping the screen all the time. Also low brightness mode is bright as **** so that is not really a good option either. Total disaster. Mine is back for repair and I also mentioned that Portico did this to my phone. Lets see what they'll do about it.

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Mine was good, but after Portico the auto adjustment is useless. Pumping the screen all the time. Also low brightness mode is bright as **** so that is not really a good option either. Total disaster. Mine is back for repair and I also mentioned that Portico did this to my phone. Lets see what they'll do about it.

I read somewhere that when people did received the Portico update, you had to manually set your auto brightness. For example, here is the info I remember:
Go into a bright area then do the following: Set it to high save, then set it back to auto.
Now
Go into a dark area the do the following: Set it to low save, then set it back to auto.

Basically, it tells your phone the difference between the bright and dark area and what should be the auto setup for standard.

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Go into a bright area then do the following: Set it to high save, then set it back to auto.
Now
Go into a dark area the do the following: Set it to low save, then set it back to auto.

If this is the case, then I would say WTF?

Bright in Nokias factory is bright also in my home. I assume that bright is bright also in other countries. Same goes with dark. Why should I do anything when the system should work out of the box?

But anyhow, is there really that kind of option that you can "fine tune" what is dark and actually press "save"-button? I didn't noticed that.

laity78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I use medium during the daytime an low at night. I found that to be the best balance. The auto brightness is terrible

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Well, at least on my phone after portico, the low -level was semi bright. Way too bright to be used in eh, well, in low light conditions. I wonder why is it so bright compared for example having auto on in low light. Then the screen brightness is how it should be, but somehow the brightness fluctuates constantly making it unusable.

Horrible software quality control.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
The auto brightness setting has been working quite well for me on my 8X, it starts lower than low until I go somewhere brighter then it increases and decreases accordingly. It has worked better than any other smartphone I've had.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077