Anyone else getting annoyed that apps come out as "Lumia" exclusives?

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
An equally valid opinion. I bet you are lying on the freezing issue though

People don't lie on forums. :wink:

It really never has frozen, though. To be fair, I don't use my phone as much as most people here seem to, and I'm not a big app person. I mainly use it for texting, some calls, Facebook, Weave for news when I'm out, checking email here and there, and the camera, which I love :) Once in awhile I use it to navigate somewhere new or look something up on Google. It probably sees a half hour/45 mins of use a day at best, and I baby it like I do with all my electronics. I've read about all of the problems that plagued early models, and luckily have dodged them all (except the not-very-sharp photos prior to Portico issue)

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
You will eventually get whatever the exclusive app is. Its a question of patience. But Nokia is paying the cost to be the boss.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Freezing is probably hardware issue. Go get an exchange if yours is freezing. I have tried every bad app out there and couldn't freeze my phone.

ComCypher

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I originally planned to get a 920 specifically because I wanted access to Nokia's exclusive apps, but I couldn't because the phone was exclusive to AT&T. Ah, irony.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Bejeweled would be the only app I'm interested in so far. But as the Windows version offers all of this since the beginning, I'll just go on playing this one. I wouldn't pay for the same game again (after the original for WP, and the Bejeweled 3 for Windows) anyway, even tough the 'Butterfly mode' is my absolute favorite.

So, no, I don't mind it. As long as there are no important first party apps exclusive, they can keep their games.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Well this puts me into a bit of a conundrum. I would never buy a phone, no matter what OS it's running, from companies who use Foxconn to make their hardware simply because the hardware quality control coming out of those plants is, to be blunt, f-ing awful. So that leaves just HTC (which isn't a bad thing. Quite the opposite in fact). Having said that, if my WP8 experience isn't satisfactory due to Nokia being given special treatment, I will not buy a Lumia. I will, as one reply mentioned, buy an HTC One, which is a phone I might add, that should shut up the one or two posters who just gloated in this thread in poor sportsmanship. Show me a Nokia phone that even comes close. Don't worry, I can wait for them to try at MWC. Good luck. Your attitude is only hurting yourself. Nokia needs WP8. So making light of others being upset is pretty foolish unless you enjoy seeing the platform sit at 2% market share. You let me know how well those exclusive apps are working out for ya when people get peeved and move to another OS, Einstein.

Smh

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Its not easy to recommend brands other than Nokia on the WP platform. What I dont like is when an apps is available for free on Nokia, but costs for every other brand.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Foroplex

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Well this puts me into a bit of a conundrum. I would never buy a phone, no matter what OS it's running, from companies who use Foxconn to make their hardware simply because the hardware quality control coming out of those plants is, to be blunt, f-ing awful. So that leaves just HTC (which isn't a bad thing. Quite the opposite in fact). Having said that, if my WP8 experience isn't satisfactory due to Nokia being given special treatment, I will not buy a Lumia. I will, as one reply mentioned, buy an HTC One, which is a phone I might add, that should shut up the one or two posters who just gloated in this thread in poor sportsmanship. Show me a Nokia phone that even comes close. Don't worry, I can wait for them to try at MWC. Good luck. Your attitude is only hurting yourself. Nokia needs WP8. So making light of others being upset is pretty foolish unless you enjoy seeing the platform sit at 2% market share. You let me know how well those exclusive apps are working out for ya when people get peeved and move to another OS, Einstein.

Smh

I have slept very, very badly, so just let me try to understand your post:

You think the company that builds the iPhone 5 has a bad hardware quality control? Don't you think it also depends on Foxconn's customer how much they want to invest in quality control? There are people who think that HTC produces phones with terrible quality.

Why do you think the HTC One is so much better than the Lumia 920? I wouldn't agree on that like this, it has better hardware specs, but you'll only care about this, when you like big numbers. It looks much nicer, has better materials and is lighter, but I think this comes down to personal taste. Most limitations I see on the Windows Phone high-end hardware comes from Windows Phone, not from the hardware.

Only people that are hysterical or very interested in games really mind that there are Lumia exclusive games. I don't think that hurts the platform too much. And speaking of Nokia developed software: HTC could provide a navigation system as Nokia does, they just decide not to. What brings me to another problem, HTC is just not really committed to Windows Phone. They want to sell phones with Android. There's nothing wrong with that, and it also has nothing to do with Nokia.

So I don't really see where your frustration is coming from, but if you think the HTC One will make you happy, that's a great thing! No reason to write posts with such an attitude.

kevingerard8

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
From what I understand, it's Nokia that uses its resources to get these apps on Windows Phone. I'm sure most would agree that the purpose of these companies isn't to be altruistic, but rather to push their brand to the forefront.

So far There has been a bigger push from Nokia in software support and marketing than any other OEM. It seems straight forward. They are putting in the effort; others, not so much.

I can understand the frustration, but as another commenter mentioned, the anger is being misplaced. Either Microsoft takes over and starts pushing for apps in the way that Nokia is or other manufacturers step up their game and start showing that they care about their customers beyond the point in which they sell you their phones.

LazySunday

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Well said chregu... I don't understand the pain of OP. When Nokia is investing their own money in pushing the developers to bring their apps on WP8 ecosystem, they shouldn't claim some exclusivity? In fact I would say Nokia should have forever exclusive for all the effort they are putting in bringing this ecosystem. Now, if MS brings app, there is no question of exclusivity anyway. As someone already said OP is barking at the wrong tree. Ask HTC to bring more apps or exclusives. I can tell they are more interested in borrowing metro as new skin to Android OS....While Nokia is slogging and convincing that WP is the most ideal for business phone.

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
This discussion about Lumia exclusive apps is so boring and I have to say, really hard to even understand. You are saying that Nokia shouldn't invest on their product? Why on earth you would want that?
You could also say that why OIS, CBD and supersensitive display are exclusive to Lumia. Does these make you leave the platform also? This whining is so pathetic. Why don't you just buy Lumia if it matters so much to you?

jlp34876

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft doing nothing.

Other OEM doing nothing.

Nokia doing everything they can, to give advantage on their products. So dont blame nokia because they are the one pushing hard for the platform.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Simple. Because they don't own their own plants anymore and outsource the hardware. And I've seen too many people exchanging due to factory defects because of that.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
What has HTC done for the platform as a whole lately, OP? Why should Nokia give out their time and money in the form of these apps to those that do nothing? HTC has done NOTHING for WP and has only used it as another tree to sell phones.

EDIT: Oh yeah, my 920 doesn't freeze either.

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Simple. Because they don't own their own plants anymore and outsource the hardware. And I've seen too many people exchanging due to factory defects because of that.

What? Nokia have their own factories. Of course they make subcontracting in Foxxcon, mutta you could say that Nokia owns its factories. When transitioning to Lumia, they used Compal, but what I have understood, all WP8 phones comes from Nokian owned factories. Smartphones are made in China, South Korea and Mexico (and one plant in brazil I think?). Feature phones are made in hungary, china and india and new plant should open in Vietnam withing weeks (or months). Vietnam factory should push tens of millions phones /Quarter.

Production facilities - Nokia

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)