Starting to not believe anything Corning says about how great their gorilla glasses are.

jcagga

Banned
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
So today my poor 8x was faced down on a table at my campus store. I was spinning around the phone because how bored I was. Then top and bottom of my screen has very noticeable scratches. This wasn't the case for gorilla 1. This is gorilla 2 we are talking about and I am pissed off at Corning. The table surface was a smooth wood with texture.

Koato8

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I baby my phone and I have a tiny scratch on it near the back button, yet ive scraped keys across 920's a whole bunch of times without anything happening.

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I baby my phone and I have a tiny scratch on it near the back button, yet ive scraped keys across 920's a whole bunch of times without anything happening.
My 920 got a scratch on its screen on day 1. :(

Truth is, anything harder than glass will be able to scratch the screen. This include small sand particles that somehow find their way into our pockets.

moegumby

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Any flat surface=dust collected=fine grit and sand. Spin glass=Scratches!
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Gorilla glass is scratch resistant. Not scratch proof. They could release gorilla glass 3, the result will be the same.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Foroplex

LazySunday

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Unless somebody comes with a Diamond screen (hardest object on the earth) you have to live with scratch resistant ones... Diamond screen can be scratch proof :p but even then another diamond can scratch it :p

BTW Gorilla glass 3 has been launched and it says:
[h=2]TOUGHER SCIENCE. TOUGHER PERFORMANCE.[/h] Corning? Gorilla? Glass 3 with NATIVE DAMAGE RESISTANCE™
It’s a whole new Gorilla. Tougher from the inside out with Corning’s exclusive, game-changing Native Damage Resistance, Gorilla Glass 3 offers improved scratch resistance, reduced scratch visibility, and improved retained strength. Look for new Gorilla Glass 3 coming soon on the world’s coolest smartphones, tablets and laptops.

No where it says that you cannot scratch :p It just says improved scratch resistance like Apple saying improved process speed :p

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
but its so much fun!! Can't help it. I'll get new one though though warranty. :]

You should pay double for a new smartphone (or live with the scratches you obviously caused intentionally) and not get a new one through warranty. Stupidity shouldn't be rewarded like this.

jcagga

Banned
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Let us know if they allow that through warranty.

My unit came with 2 dust particles in the screen out of the box. So I've been testing how durable 8x is. Turns out the polycarbonate body on 8x is nothing but soft finish on top of glossy plastic unlike lumias build. So yes pretty sure that classfies as defective unit.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm very satisfied with the durability of the screen on my 920, but I don't treat it like my pair of Redwing boots. It is still a complicated piece of technology. I make a point to limit the possibility of scratches.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
dropped mine on a lego and got a nice scratch.

BTW it isnt the glass getting scratched, it's the coating/film that they put over the glass

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
dropped mine on a lego and got a nice scratch.

BTW it isnt the glass getting scratched, it's the coating/film that they put over the glass

only when phone screens are made of 100% glass will they be scratch proof. That comes with many many consequences though! lol

dol4er

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The truth is that Gorilla Glass 2 is a step back for some unknown reason. Before buying 8X, I had been using a Nokia Oro for almost two years which had got Gorilla Glass 1. I have dropped the phone numerous times and not a single scratch on the screen. Unfortunately, 8X with Gorilla Glass 2 is a different story - 4 months, one drop, one scratch on the screen.

Advice: Be cafeful :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon