Nokia HERE applications already available.

DanBB1

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
This is interesting though because it's a different unavailable message than we'd normally get. It specifically states it doesn't work because it doesn't support 720p which leads me to believe that it's no longer technically exclusive but didn't make it compatible (yet) with resolutions that Nokia phones don't support. Someone with an 8S or other non-Nokia WVGA device needs to test this out.

I would guess that, it is because HTC's WP8 phones doesn't have a gyroscope. It does have compass and accelerometer, but if the app is written to use the data from all 3 sensors(gyro, acc, compass) it doesn't work. Someone with Samsung Ativ which has all 3 might want to test if it works.

KeegdnaB42

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I would guess that, it is because HTC's WP8 phones doesn't have a gyroscope. It does have compass and accelerometer, but if the app is written to use the data from all 3 sensors(gyro, acc, compass) it doesn't work. Someone with Samsung Ativ which has all 3 might want to test if it works.

If that were the case it would have said so. It specifically stated it only supported 480x800 and 1280x768

nbumbic

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Here maps works in Serbia too on HTC 8X, hence I think that maps should work in all countries.
I whish i could say the same for other Here apps.

Last edited:

nbumbic

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I just tested it again, not available for me in Switzerland.

Have you tried changing location of your phone to, say, Germany, then downloading Maps and starting it for the first time?
After that it should work for you without a problem and you can change back location of your phone to Switzerland.

BTW, Maps has an option to calculate route.
It gives you info on where you should turn, but of course no voice guided turn by turn navigation and you have to slide it down every time you pass a turn.

Last edited:

Nenomk2

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
HERE Drive. Found it in a store but says that it's not available for 8x. Which means not supported by hardware, software, provider or your location. Love them when they specify what is the issue... :D

And when I look at the languages supported it lists croatian (hrvatski) so big mystery here... (From Croatia, VIP provider)

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Put Drive and Maps on my AT&T 8X yesterday. Now if I only understood what the difference is between those 2 apps (I understand what Transit does) and how they differ from Maps that came with my 8X?

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Put Drive and Maps on my AT&T 8X yesterday. Now if I only understood what the difference is between those 2 apps (I understand what Transit does) and how they differ from Maps that came with my 8X?

Well Drive is actually like a GPS device, gives you turn by turn navigation with voice and extra options. Nokia Maps, well it will give you the POI around you, you can add your destination and then select if you want to walk, transit or drive. Then it will give you the destination, arrival and different types of transportation. Then depending what you choose, (walk, transit, drive) it will open the proper app (Nokia Transit, Nokia drive).... That's how I see it since I can't install it right now because my 8X is broken lol...again...lol

mixa8x

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
HERE Drive. Found it in a store but says that it's not available for 8x. Which means not supported by hardware, software, provider or your location. Love them when they specify what is the issue... :D

And when I look at the languages supported it lists croatian (hrvatski) so big mystery here... (From Croatia, VIP provider)

Same....in Serbia on HTC 8x

IceDree

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Yea , I saw them in the Store , but I didn't bother because they are limited to few countries (Saudi Arabia is not included) , the transit app can be handy , but I don't use public transport .

nbumbic

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
As we wait for Nokia Here to be available in all countries you can use app called GPS Voice Navigation with Nokia Maps.

It offers a choice of 4 map and routing providers: Google?, Bing?, Nokia? and MapQuest?.
It tends to be a bit slow from time to time but all in all it works well anh having 4 map providers is a big plus for me..
In Trial mode it can provide you with turn by turn voice navigation for routes up to 20km,

List of features and the link for download
GPS Voice Navigation | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store

* Offline maps
* Maps in 2D/3D mode
* Night mode (auto set)
* Search in contacts
* Speak full instructions
* Integrate as navigation app
* Autozoom
* Option to display Speed Cameras (fixed, mobile or traffic light) as layers on the map.
* A different warning alarm screen for each type of camera
* Notification bar showing nearby cameras and speed limit signs
* Speeding warning

GPS Voice Navigation | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99