What is HTC doing?

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
FYI both flagships forum flooded with "help me!" thread.

Sad but true. I expect any device no matter who makes it to have it's share of problems on its forum because people are more prone to post when there's a problem than not. BUT, I couldn't help but notice when I travel to some other device forums the number of help-me threads are far fewer. And I mean very noticeably. I also hang out an Phandroid forums quite a bit (Sorry Mobile Nations, they're larger than Android Central!) and have certainly also noticed the forums for some android manufacturers have less help-me threads per capita than others there.

pnhd

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I think the HTC app and Flashlight are the only highlights for WP8, shocking. Not even some extra tools to allow more device customisation like Nokia do. Nothing. The 8x is supposed to be the signiture phone for WP8 but that has meant nothing more than a big launch to take some of the spotlight away from Nokia.

The signature device means that it's windows phone untouched,stock. It's the same branding they used with pcs that have stock windows 7 without any bloatware from oems. They just pushed it with this branding to give some attention to Htc and not only Nokia. Nokia has it's own map suite and a few other things that can't be considered stock, so no matter what flagship device they will release,it will never be a signature device

I think the Lumia 920 is a prime example as to how you should not do it... make a complicated product, then produce it in a new factory with cheap labor in China

They are all made in China. And at least Nokia is constantly fixing the problems. The camera had 1 update so far that made the daylight shots usable and the gdr2 update seems to improve the daylight shots even more.
The way i see it so far is that HTC and Samsung only release these devices to save their connections with Microsoft, to not burn their bridges so to speak and have a back-up for when bussiness with android goes sour. They don't have plans for the platform,big plans as they are diverting most resources towards android where they make money. Probably HTC had a change of heart seeing how the 8x/8s were received, but i still don't see them invest more beyond releasing a couple more devices. In a way i feel this is also Microsofts fault for keeping windows phone locked up. Oems love android cause they can do whatever they want with it. In wp beyond some exclusive in-house apps,some accent colors and maybe a hub there really isn't much to do

backlashsid

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
i feel very sad that htc isnt pushing the 8x or windows phone...but then i realize all i am is a customer n my voice doesnt stand in front of a corporation like htc so i humble down...smile n accept what i have. i see fellow users making cinemagraphs on nokia...but atleast i have nokia drive n m happy...i suggest u all be d same :) one day things shall change....hopefully :)

bluetango

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I bought the htc8x for same reasons, cool design and Nokia 920 too chunky. And yes, I have the concern that I am again betting on wrong horse - htc not succeeding in wp and may give up further development, hardware or software. I don't understand htc. They came up with the best wp in terms of design and then they are doing nothing else, letting Nokia take the lead, the momentum. Instead, the announced the htc one, the new flagship on Android.

The Android's overtaking of iphone (at least some countries) is not due to Android as a platform as much as Samsung or otherwise, we would seen all manufacturers doing equally well on Android, It is because of Samsung for its top hardware and the cool design of Galaxy lines. With Samsung in such lead, htc should not be banking on Android at expense of wp8. Not smart to me. I do not think they can succeed either.

What htc should do is to making the htc 8x/8z line as the "Galaxy lines" for windows phone. 8x can be improved with a 4.7" screen and better battery, external sd card etc..Why give up on best wp phone design in 8x/8s just like this. What kind of company strategies and marketing?

jcagga

Banned
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I bought the htc8x for same reasons, cool design and Nokia 920 too chunky. And yes, I have the concern that I am again betting on wrong horse - htc not succeeding in wp and may give up further development, hardware or software. I don't understand htc. They came up with the best wp in terms of design and then they are doing nothing else, letting Nokia take the lead, the momentum. Instead, the announced the htc one, the new flagship on Android.

The Android's overtaking of iphone (at least some countries) is not due to Android as a platform as much as Samsung or otherwise, we would seen all manufacturers doing equally well on Android, It is because of Samsung for its top hardware and the cool design of Galaxy lines. With Samsung in such lead, htc should not be banking on Android at expense of wp8. Not smart to me. I do not think they can succeed either.

What htc should do is to making the htc 8x/8z line as the "Galaxy lines" for windows phone. 8x can be improved with a 4.7" screen and better battery, external sd card etc..Why give up on best wp phone design in 8x/8s just like this. What kind of company strategies and marketing?
HTC was going to release bigger and more premium device than 8x but die to wp8 not supporting 1080p screen, they didn't release the device.

WhatsThatMean

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I wish I knew what they were doing. I have an 8x and it is hands-down the best phone I have ever owned. I tried both it and Lumia 920, and while the Lumia is impressive, the 8x is sleeker and it is solid, both physically and performance-wise. I have had ZERO need to reboot. I have never had a crash. My Droids crashed all the time. My wife's iPhone is even more problematic than the 8x. Whenever I have it out, I always get admiring comments. I have carried it in my pockets since the day it was released, and have never used any sort of case. It looks brand new after all these months. The 8x should be a runaway success. So should the Surface. Sigh.

Ashrit Shetty

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
HTC did a great job in promoting the 8X in the beginning but now the intensity with which it promoted has decreased !
Hope HTC releases a few more Windows phones so that it keeps its head high up ...

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I just reed a piece of News that they were only able to make 20% of the One because of components shortages. They should consider a WP8 based on the One casing in Blue with 64Gb und 720p screen. I would buy one right away even if it only uses the same S4 as in the 8X.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The signature device means that it's windows phone untouched,stock. It's the same branding they used with pcs that have stock windows 7 without any bloatware from oems. They just pushed it with this branding to give some attention to Htc and not only Nokia. Nokia has it's own map suite and a few other things that can't be considered stock, so no matter what flagship device they will release,it will never be a signature device

A while back I asked the question what the term "signature device" actually means. The general consensus was that it means absolutely nothing. I can't say with 100% certainty that the general consensus is correct, but I can say with 100% certainty that it doesn't mean: "windows phone untouched, stock".

Every single widows phone is an untouched, stock device! To date, every single WP device ships with the exact same stock OS installation, bit for bit. Differences exist only in the firmware and a few OEM supplied configuration files. You mentioned Nokia's own map suite and a few other things that can't be considered stock, but none of Nokia's apps are part of the OS. Those apps are downloaded from the marketplace during initial setup, meaning they are just plain old apps just like any other app. Uninstalling them completely removes them from the device.

While "signature device" might mean something (although I now seriously doubt it), it doesn't mean what you thought it did.

Marcos Hidalgo

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I've been wondering the same about HTC got a while, when WP8 came out I really wanted the 920, but was unwilling to pay ATT so much money for less so I stayed with T-mo and must say I have really liked the 8X but I would like to see them do more a lot more. HTC is loosing a lot of money but to me it seems like they're are not doing much to get themselves out if,the hole they are in, the 8X is a good product just needs to receive a bit more of attention from HTC.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

marpad87

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I totally agree! I can't understand them... And this week after week Lumia exclusive app issue is killing me! I blame Microsoft too about this, but mainly HTC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3