03-27-2013 06:31 AM
67 123
tools
    Love my 8x, although nokiaphonecentral can get annoying when I logon and see Nokia..this, Nokia that...
    Lol when HTC actually starts doing something for windows phone then I am sure you will hear news on them.
    jdhooghe likes this.
    03-06-2013 10:32 PM
    I think this is somewhat judgmental. You can stand in the store, google, youtube and research all you want. Until you have the device you don't know the real deal.
    03-06-2013 11:06 PM
    Thanks! I almost bought the 822 on ebay. Might wait to see if VZW gets another Lumia. I kinda like big phones.
    03-06-2013 11:09 PM
    Good point. Big girl panty time!! I think I might be sold after reading this post.
    03-06-2013 11:11 PM
    I've discovered that what works best for me is to apply any potential smartphone purchase against the requirements in my signature. If it doesn't meet every single one of those, I won't buy it. I'm done with compromising. Maybe you'll find it useful.
    devanm44 likes this.
    03-06-2013 11:53 PM
    iphone meets that criteria the best to be honest. Not that I would ever buy one again, but I have around 80 of them at work.
    03-07-2013 12:38 AM
    The specs and capabilities you're complaining about could have been found out before hand with a simple Bing search.
    True. We live in a media age. There is no excuse for ignorance at this level. My advice for anyone looking at purchasing a mid to high end smartphone is to know the basics of technology and know how to research that before committing.
    JerseySal and WhippedKream like this.
    03-07-2013 01:13 AM
    I think this is somewhat judgmental. You can stand in the store, google, youtube and research all you want. Until you have the device you don't know the real deal.
    Your right in terms of actual build quality and performance...but the complaints here are only of facts that do not change upon purchasing the phone.
    03-07-2013 01:37 AM
    The grass isn't any greener on Nokia side. Seriously if you allow yourself to get suckered by the hype of the very populated pro-Lumia crowd here at WPC than you're going to be misled. There's not really much at all that a Nokia is going to offer you besides first crack at a couple of so-so apps now. The build quality is not better (once again, despite what you'll here regurgitated here). Do yourself a favour and listen to what the very well known tech gurus are saying. I'm going to let you in on a little secret to get you started: Nokia closed down the plants in Finland that earned them their rep for build quality years ago. Now they farm out most of their hardware manufacturing to foreign mass-production plants that also make phones for other companies. Betcha didn't know that. HTC are one of the few companies left who mostly own their own plants. There are NO indicators that Nokia devices are of any better quality than the 8x. HTC has also publicly stated that they will continue to make WP8 devices. And lastly (and this will be slightly offensive), the 8x is a sleek well made phone, not a big fat oversized device that doesn't even have the battery size that brick sized phones like the 920 should have.

I see absolutely nothing enviable about the 920. In fact if I admired any Nokia it would be the 720 for packing so many things into a $350 phone.
    03-07-2013 03:48 AM
    The grass isn't any greener on Nokia side. Seriously if you allow yourself to get suckered by the hype of the very populated pro-Lumia crowd here at WPC than you're going to be misled. There's not really much at all that a Nokia is going to offer you besides first crack at a couple of so-so apps now. The build quality is not better (once again, despite what you'll here regurgitated here). Do yourself a favour and listen to what the very well known tech gurus are saying. I'm going to let you in on a little secret to get you started: Nokia closed down the plants in Finland that earned them their rep for build quality years ago. Now they farm out most of their hardware manufacturing to foreign mass-production plants that also make phones for other companies. Betcha didn't know that. HTC are one of the few companies left who mostly own their own plants. There are NO indicators that Nokia devices are of any better quality than the 8x. HTC has also publicly stated that they will continue to make WP8 devices. And lastly (and this will be slightly offensive), the 8x is a sleek well made phone, not a big fat oversized device that doesn't even have the battery size that brick sized phones like the 920 should have.

I see absolutely nothing enviable about the 920. In fact if I admired any Nokia it would be the 720 for packing so many things into a $350 phone.
    Blah Blah Blah
    03-07-2013 03:58 AM
    hmm If i read the original post right, i don't think she had a choice on phone, when you replace your phone more than once they usually just give you a different phone and your options are very limited.. when I had to replace my mytouch for the second time, they gave me the option between a Sidekick (yeah I know apparently they still make those) and a Mytouch4g slide.. :/
    The choice the OP was likely given was another Lumia or the 8X and OP chose the 8X. In my opinion, it's best to not switch out your phone for software issues and swap out when it's hardware issues. Report those issues ASAP to the manufacturer and carrier and wait a bit. Otherwise you end up in this exact situation...wanting to go back to the original phone you gave up. It must not have been that bad...

I would see if you can get another Lumia.
    To call back and ask for the phone that they just forfeited is a little backwards if you ask me. Why switch in the first place? Why go back to it now? The carrier will only be so nice...I don't see this as good advice. Don't wear out your welcome. The HTC is a great phone. I'm super happy with it. My iPhone had 16GB mem as well and I managed it. The "Other" thing will be fixed in time...until then, I deal with it. So I can't install a racing game...I'm over that already.
    devanm44 likes this.
    03-07-2013 05:35 AM

I totally agree that Nokia build quality isn't any better than HTC. A quick read through the 920 forums will confirm that that phone has just as many if not more issues than the 8X. Nokia is the sexy WP name and the 920 has some good features, but as far as I'm concerned the 8X is just as reliable a phone if not moreso. On AT&T the 16GB 8X really can't compete with the 920 since it's half the price and it's the same scenario on Verizon with the 822 currently being free and the 8X is $100. With the pricing differences it's not surprising the Lumias are selling better. It's not the cool features of the phones it's the pricing.
    devanm44 likes this.
    03-07-2013 08:14 AM
    Love my 8x, definitely wouldn't go to ios or android. Just not a sensible, feasible proposition.
    03-07-2013 08:17 AM

Lol the coating on 8x rubs off the phones....that alone screams shotty quality.
    03-07-2013 11:54 AM
    I can't say I've experienced that! And there is nothing "shotty" about the quality of the 8x. It looks and feels like a premium device, idk what you're going off of to think anything other than that!
    03-07-2013 12:13 PM
    Both the 8X and 920 have issues. I haven't had any issues with my 8X but I did with two 822's. I think an HTC is just as solid as a Nokia. Next upgrade I will look at what each company offers for WP because both are pretty good.
    03-07-2013 01:13 PM
    I had the Lumia 920 a while back and Ii hated it. Honestly hated it. I had hardware quality problems with the vibrator, screen and headphone jack; this on a 525 phone. No. Ive had flawless experience with HTC both hardware and software wise. Nokias aren't proper Nokias now. They are not even made by Nokia in China let alone Finland, just the same mass production facility apple use and we all know how much they break. Besides which you obviously should have known what you were buying into. It shouldn't of come as a surprise. I love my 8X to bits. Those "exclusive" Nokia apps will come to HTC one day.
    03-07-2013 01:44 PM
    I had the Lumia 920 a while back and Ii hated it. Honestly hated it. I had hardware quality problems with the vibrator, screen and headphone jack; this on a 525 phone. No. Ive had flawless experience with HTC both hardware and software wise. Nokias aren't proper Nokias now. They are not even made by Nokia in China let alone Finland, just the same mass production facility apple use and we all know how much they break. Besides which you obviously should have known what you were buying into. It shouldn't of come as a surprise. I love my 8X to bits. Those "exclusive" Nokia apps will come to HTC one day.
    What I find aggravating is that BOTH flagships are suffering a substantial number of software and hardware issues. A consumer shouldn't have to deal with rolling the dice and saying "Hmmm which phone is less prone to bugs or needing repairs? Lock me into one of those for 2 years+ please!". That's just a lose-lose scenario.
    wpn00b likes this.
    03-07-2013 02:47 PM
    I only held 8X for 30 seconds in my hand and I knew for sure that this is too delicate for me. And I have a creepy feeling that the soft touch is not all that tough. But maybe it is.
    03-07-2013 03:30 PM
    I only held 8X for 30 seconds in my hand and I knew for sure that this is too delicate for me. And I have a creepy feeling that the soft touch is not all that tough. But maybe it is.
    Tough enough, mine fell several times in the last months and no scratch on it, no worn off coating either. And sexy, I think the 8X is far more sexy than the Lumia 920.
    wpn00b likes this.
    03-07-2013 04:13 PM
    Tough enough, mine fell several times in the last months and no scratch on it, no worn off coating either. And sexy, I think the 8X is far more sexy than the Lumia 920.
    Mine doesn't really have a soft coating at all but its the gray one. I think the red and blue are especially soft but they seem to have held up (the people I know that have it).
    03-07-2013 05:40 PM
    Next upgrade I will look at what each company offers for WP because both are pretty good.
    If Microsoft really is coming out with a phone of their own, I'm looking there first. Not sure if that rumor carries any weight though.
    03-07-2013 05:42 PM
    I do not mind the limited storage. Most of my storage is used by music but I do not need a lot of it on there I do not mind switching around some songs every week or so. The Nokia apps are cool but I seem to be doing fine without them. Plus the only Nokia app I wanted was drive and that was released for all of the wp8 phones so I am good. I personally think the 8x is an amazing phone and I love the look and feel of it.
    03-07-2013 05:55 PM
    If Microsoft really is coming out with a phone of their own, I'm looking there first. Not sure if that rumor carries any weight though.
    I would hesitate to buy a phone made by MS, they have no experience in phone hardware manufacturing.
    03-07-2013 07:06 PM
    What I find aggravating is that BOTH flagships are suffering a substantial number of software and hardware issues. A consumer shouldn't have to deal with rolling the dice and saying "Hmmm which phone is less prone to bugs or needing repairs? Lock me into one of those for 2 years+ please!". That's just a lose-lose scenario.
    I agree that WP8 is more glitchy than it should be. When I had my 822 I was about to swear off WP, but thankfully Verizon let me get an 8X as a replacement. It took three replacements, but the 8X I have has been flawless for me. If you read all the WP8 forums, each device has it's problems. I can't really rate one manufacturer above the other for device reliability and build quality.
    devanm44 likes this.
    03-07-2013 07:27 PM
67 123