Sick of my HTC 8x

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Lol the coating on 8x rubs off the phones....that alone screams shotty quality.

Both the 8X and 920 have issues. I haven't had any issues with my 8X but I did with two 822's. I think an HTC is just as solid as a Nokia. Next upgrade I will look at what each company offers for WP because both are pretty good.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I had the Lumia 920 a while back and Ii hated it. Honestly hated it. I had hardware quality problems with the vibrator, screen and headphone jack; this on a ?525 phone. No. Ive had flawless experience with HTC both hardware and software wise. Nokias aren't proper Nokias now. They are not even made by Nokia in China let alone Finland, just the same mass production facility apple use and we all know how much they break. Besides which you obviously should have known what you were buying into. It shouldn't of come as a surprise. I love my 8X to bits. Those "exclusive" Nokia apps will come to HTC one day.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I had the Lumia 920 a while back and Ii hated it. Honestly hated it. I had hardware quality problems with the vibrator, screen and headphone jack; this on a ?525 phone. No. Ive had flawless experience with HTC both hardware and software wise. Nokias aren't proper Nokias now. They are not even made by Nokia in China let alone Finland, just the same mass production facility apple use and we all know how much they break. Besides which you obviously should have known what you were buying into. It shouldn't of come as a surprise. I love my 8X to bits. Those "exclusive" Nokia apps will come to HTC one day.

What I find aggravating is that BOTH flagships are suffering a substantial number of software and hardware issues. A consumer shouldn't have to deal with rolling the dice and saying "Hmmm which phone is less prone to bugs or needing repairs? Lock me into one of those for 2 years+ please!". That's just a lose-lose scenario.

chaihg

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I only held 8X for 30 seconds in my hand and I knew for sure that this is too delicate for me. And I have a creepy feeling that the soft touch is not all that tough. But maybe it is.

Koekjes

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I only held 8X for 30 seconds in my hand and I knew for sure that this is too delicate for me. And I have a creepy feeling that the soft touch is not all that tough. But maybe it is.
Tough enough, mine fell several times in the last months and no scratch on it, no worn off coating either. And sexy, I think the 8X is far more sexy than the Lumia 920.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Tough enough, mine fell several times in the last months and no scratch on it, no worn off coating either. And sexy, I think the 8X is far more sexy than the Lumia 920.

Mine doesn't really have a soft coating at all but its the gray one. I think the red and blue are especially soft but they seem to have held up (the people I know that have it).

slap0rama

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I do not mind the limited storage. Most of my storage is used by music but I do not need a lot of it on there I do not mind switching around some songs every week or so. The Nokia apps are cool but I seem to be doing fine without them. Plus the only Nokia app I wanted was drive and that was released for all of the wp8 phones so I am good. I personally think the 8x is an amazing phone and I love the look and feel of it.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
What I find aggravating is that BOTH flagships are suffering a substantial number of software and hardware issues. A consumer shouldn't have to deal with rolling the dice and saying "Hmmm which phone is less prone to bugs or needing repairs? Lock me into one of those for 2 years+ please!". That's just a lose-lose scenario.

I agree that WP8 is more glitchy than it should be. When I had my 822 I was about to swear off WP, but thankfully Verizon let me get an 8X as a replacement. It took three replacements, but the 8X I have has been flawless for me. If you read all the WP8 forums, each device has it's problems. I can't really rate one manufacturer above the other for device reliability and build quality.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I will say that my 8x when I owned one did initially get more question asked about it. it is a lovely phone....it just isn't supported by htc and I always felt sort of second class since its obvious htc doesn't support it.

my red 8x Did look better than my red lumia 920 does and if given the chance at the time,i would have owned the yellow 8x but honestly both devices are good but the lumia 920 for me has been the better buy....no random freezeup and it rarely reboots like my 8x did not to mention pics taken with my 920 always come out better than they ever did with the 8x.

I don't mind waiting for apps to come to windows phone as a whole....but having an 8x means I have to wait till nokia(a company with a proven track record for support) exclusivity runs out for it to become available....why wait when I can already get it when it comes out.

I do miss how thin my 8x was though but I do love the thickness of my 920 lol

busngabb

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I will say that my 8x when I owned one did initially get more question asked about it. it is a lovely phone....it just isn't supported by htc and I always felt sort of second class since its obvious htc doesn't support it.

my red 8x Did look better than my red lumia 920 does and if given the chance at the time,i would have owned the yellow 8x but honestly both devices are good but the lumia 920 for me has been the better buy....no random freezeup and it rarely reboots like my 8x did not to mention pics taken with my 920 always come out better than they ever did with the 8x.

I don't mind waiting for apps to come to windows phone as a whole....but having an 8x means I have to wait till nokia(a company with a proven track record for support) exclusivity runs out for it to become available....why wait when I can already get it when it comes out.

I do miss how thin my 8x was though but I do love the thickness of my 920 lol
The reboot problem wasn't exclusive to the 8X and was fixed by the first update MS rolled out. Since then I haven't had a single freeze or reboot on my 8X. It is a lot more stable than the 920 (I have one for work and there are another 2 in the house with other people). The support is better from Nokia but none of their exclusives are worth changing phones over.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
The support is better from Nokia but none of their exclusives are worth changing phones over.

Does Nokia have their own (by that I mean owned by Nokia, not an "approved repair" store) Nokia stores where you can just take your phone in for repairs like you would at an Apple store? Or do you have to do that whole fill-a-form-and-mail-it-in thing?

PicodeGalla

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The reboot problem wasn't exclusive to the 8X and was fixed by the first update MS rolled out. Since then I haven't had a single freeze or reboot on my 8X. It is a lot more stable than the 920 (I have one for work and there are another 2 in the house with other people). The support is better from Nokia but none of their exclusives are worth changing phones over.

I am still using the HD7 on T-Mobile and I have not upgraded to the 8x because of the support the HD7 got and because of the random problems I get sometimes. Downloading over 3G when on Wifi, volume going up and down and then activating the voice command while wearing head phones. I know the 8x is supposedly much in improved but these problems didn't show themselves until much later, they are annoying enough to want to change companies.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

But this sort of thing is happening with all of the other flagship Andoird and iOS devices as well as the Lumias. Some people may choose to have a HTC over the Samsung GS3 due to the fracturing of the plastic issues they are still plagued by, or other may choose the have the iPhone 4S over the 5 because of the bodies bending. All of these devices have serious hardware problems and Nokia, Apple and Samsung aren't doing much to rectify it. HTC are doing there best as regards the matt coating coming off. Anyways I think you'll agree some matt coating coming off the back of the phone is better than the plastic cracking or the chassis bending.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
True but whatever occurrences of defects iPhones may have they still pale in comparison to other companies consistently for the last few years with the added bonus of express repair and replacement service.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I am still using the HD7 on T-Mobile and I have not upgraded to the 8x because of the support the HD7 got and because of the random problems I get sometimes. Downloading over 3G when on Wifi, volume going up and down and then activating the voice command while wearing head phones. I know the 8x is supposedly much in improved but these problems didn't show themselves until much later, they are annoying enough to want to change companies.

I had the HTC Trophy on Verizon. All in all that was a horrible experience. I liked the software but the hardware was troublesome. With that said Verizon pushed out every update available, including the update that fixed the disappearing keyboard bug. Now I have the 8X and I am very pleased with it. Also the 8X on Verizon got portico before the 822. Guess what I'm saying is don't be afraid to get the 8X, it is a good phone.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I love my 8x. I had the iPhone 4s than the galaxy nexus than the iphone 5 than the galaxy s3. @nd the only phone I've really liked is my 8x. Play around a bit get some apps and games. Mix up your screen etc. S4 will no doubt be dope but you'll probably just get bored of it to. 8x is a nice piece of equipment
I have also switchded from iphone 5. Had a nexus also some time ago, lots of iphone models but got bored of them. Wp is different and I like it over all when it comes to phones. I own now an ativ s

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
That isn't really true. Searching for the specs would have told you about the limited storage, but it wouldn't have instantly highlighted the 'other' storage issue that is perhaps the biggest blight on Windows phone and the most complained about failing bar the lack of Instagram.

I have an 8X and its a superb handset. HTC got it perfectly right in terms of the physical device, its a joy to use, bar the mysterious lack of an sd card slot. It is so stable, an area in which it destroys the Lumia range.

But the other storage issue needs to be fixed urgently. I have 8.4gb in 'other' storage at the moment and cant download anything else.

use shrink storage from the store and see how much space you can free up

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers