Verizon 8X still having sim errors/reboots after portico, but I have a plan......

jackpfree

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
So my Verizon 8X has had rebooting/sim card issues since I got it on December 1st. I waited until portico came out to see if the update would fix the issues but it didn't. I could probably convince Verizon to give me a new 8X without these issues, but I kind of want to wait until the Verzion Lumia 928 comes out to see if they could just replace my phone with the Lumia. Do you guys think this will work or are they strict on only replacing phones with the same kind of phone?

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I never use Verizon before, but having the product for months and ask for another model as replacement is rather far fetch to me.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Have you put tape on your sim card yet? Because this is all a waste of time until you do that.

Tape your sim and all your problems will go away.

ThaFunk

May 19, 2011
Visit site
No need to tape your sim. I just removed the sim card for ~3 minutes and put it back in. I haven't had the error pop up in over a week now. Was getting it at least once per day before that.

romant56

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I also have not put tape on mine because it doesn't seem like I should have to do this with a phone that I paid for to work properly. I started getting very fed up when I would get the SIM error once or twice I day, so I took mine out and put it back in like ThaFunk said, supra. I didn't get a SIM error for a week or two after that, but I got one a few days ago. It seems to help mitigate the problem, if nothing else, and if I start to get more frequent SIM errors, I'll probably just take it out again.

rocking23nf

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
have you tried a new sim card, usually sim card errors are resolved with getting a new sim card, I get at least 4-5 failed sim cards a year at work, non windows 8 phones, but apple and Blackberry. They cost 5 bucks here in Canada.

moegumby

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Get a new SIM card. Haven't had a problem since I had mine replaced a month ago. Some of the older LTE Sims don't play nice with the newer LTE phones. Make sure its a current new batch SIM.
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
A new SIM will only help if it wedges in more securely, the problem isn't because of a defect in the SIM but because it doesn't have a solid connection.

I also have not put tape on mine because it doesn't seem like I should have to do this with a phone that I paid for to work properly.
you're right that you shouldn't have to, its not good design, but why would you rather take the ideological high road instead of taking 15 seconds to place a small piece of tape on the SIM and end the problem. I mean, maybe your time is worth a lot less than mine, but I can't afford to deal with HTC or my carrier to swap SIMs or phones when I can just take 15 seconds and fix the problem. I know that if I go to the store they will give me a SIM, if I complain they will probably swap the phone, but why not just not even mess with that or go through the hassle and just fix it myself? It takes 15 seconds. Is "sticking it to" your carrier or HTC worth your time for an issue you can fix yourself in 15 seconds? Some of you guys just don't make any sense. Typing this post took longer than it took to fix my phone.

And replacing or removing and reinserting your SIM will only stop the problem for a little while, its probably going to come back. When it does, step down from your high horse and put some tape on it. Problem solved.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I've tried multiple phones and multiple sims. It doesn't matter, I think there was a manufacturing error some where, my moms 8x has never had the issue but I've gone through many phones and many sims and have had the error. Just tape it.

businessguy01

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I have also experienced SIM errors with my 8x also - very frustrating. From what I have read on other threads, the problem is not with the phone itself or the SIM card, but rather the SIM card tray - if the SIM card moves just a little out of position, it will contact a metallic portion of the SIM card tray which causes a short. This is why the tape fix described elsewhere works - it covers the metallic area that causes the short. Also as described on other threads, HTC has a redesigned SIM tray which supposedly eliminates the problem. Mine is on the way. You can get yours by calling HTC at (866) 449-8358. Be sure to tell them what color phone that you have so that the replacement SIM tray matches. Hopefully problem gone.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
nope, you want to wedge it in so it does not lose connection. its not a shorting issue, the tape should not wrap around to the front.

just put some tape on the back and it will work.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm on at&t and just recently started having 2 or 3 sim errors a week. Just put 3 layers of tape on my sim and popped it back in. Hope that fixes it.

lumiagi

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Also as described on other threads, HTC has a redesigned SIM tray which supposedly eliminates the problem. Mine is on the way. You can get yours by calling HTC at (866) 449-8358. Be sure to tell them what color phone that you have so that the replacement SIM tray matches. Hopefully problem gone.

How was your phone after replacing the sim tray with the redesigned one? I tried to find a photo of the improved tray but couldn't find it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss