Any tips to improve my Htc 8x Battery life??

jabz9

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
The Battery on My (T-mobile) HTC 8x.....how would one say??.... Terrible. When its fully charged it says i have over day of time remaining till it will die 6-9 hrs later, i get the blinking red light and it will be on 10%..

so do any of you guys have any tips for me?

Please and thank you

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
How many discharge cycles have you under gone?

Delete whatsapp, kik or wechat.

The time remaining depends upon how you had used your phone that far. If you keep using your phone excessively that time remaining changes accordingly. It is a forecast. Forecasts change. It isn't a battery meter reader. Only thing you can trust is battery percentage remaining, not time.

battery8xsucks

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I hear you. Battery on my 8X (European T-Mobile) has been abysmal so far. I've had my phone for three days now and have charged it three times already after no heavy usage.
First day I was shocked to see how my battery would drop like more than 10% in an hour in a standby mode!! I knew that couldn't be normal so I researched that issue on this forum and realised that those tips in that topic about battery tricks (collected by some cool guy) are helpful - especially the unsyncing the xbox games app. But then I realized that it is not normal to have a brand new phone and force yourself to micromanage every second when you're using it. I was thinking about returning it straight away til today I read somewhere that some users reported that the HTC app (the one with the ridiculously large time tile on the home screen) has been the cause of problems. So I deleted it. And I can say that the battery life has improved SIGNIFICANTLY since I did that.

But it is really ridiculous and kinda embarassing for HTC if their own app is screwing their flagship windows phone. Anyways, I just fully charged it with htc app gone and will see how it performs in the next 24 hours. If the drain still proves to be perisistent as before, I'm returning my 8x first thing monday morning.

And btw., regarding Beats Audio, I'm not sure how to put it, but I have a feeling that my phone does this thing where when it's a HQ song/video the sound is really MUCH better. But if it's a low quality recording, imo, it just makes it worse because you can notice all the imperfections much better than before. Is that normal? Oh, and in like youtube videos, like tutorials and reviews, where you have people talking, the quality is not that perfect since I can hear some sort of humming??

All that aside, I'm really satisfied with the phone's screen, camera and its overall performance. Though I can't say I'm liking windows phone 8 as I thought I would, at least not for now. I can't believe they're actually competing with apple with their closed system, I would've gone the android route if I were in their place.

I can't believe that there's like no video player apps or stuff like that so I can play my mp4 favorite tv shows with subs on, or how they don't allow third party browser and it seems they never will. Very bizzare.

Enough with my rambling. My real question is, and the one I'm going to judge my phone's battery life on,: HOW MUCH OF BATTERY DO YOU LOSE IN AN HOUR (approx) IN A STANDBY MODE? IS IT MORE THAN 1%? of course, feel free to post any other battery ratio (like an hour with wifi surfing took away xy% of my battery) so it can help other people like me to see if my phone is normal.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Discharge cycle ie full charge,full discharge. You can say anything about your battery, till its been done so for about 10-12 cycles. Let your battery settle.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe you need to do anything but know what your phone is syncing, how often and the number of apps that ate syncing.

I have three email account, /outlook/purdue/google all syncing every 2hrs. I also have Linkedin, Facebook, and twitter connected also. With a plethora of apps, like Chronos calendar, battery sense, alpha jax and about four others that I get notifications and live tiles. All of that and I get about 10-12hrs of moderate and heavy use.

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Don't listen to people saying HTC hub is a problem. There is no problem at all. If you heavily use phone, it could die in hours. Moderate use, one and a half of day. Sometimes it last for two days and even has about 25% after that. And sometimes you just need to restart phne to return about 20% back. There is a bug in HTC battery drivers, at least I hope it is.

battery8xsucks

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Lost 4% already in standby mode only. No wifi,no 3g data, no syncing, brightness low...will leave it on standby till the morning (its 00:37 here) and will see whats the status then.

battery8xsucks

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Percentage dropped another 2% during my sleep time (roughly 7 hours) which is fine I guess. When I woke up I turned on the wifi and surfed my favorite webpages for 5-7 minutes and it dropped another 2% after that.

Then I turned the wifi off, turned on the 3g data and left it like that on standby (I'm not sure if the 3g is still on when the screen is locked?) and three hours later it dropped 10-11%, which I suppose is okay even though there's no syncing or anything else turned on.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
A lot of things affect battery life, including 3g signal strength, background tasks, email accounts, etc. In general, Wi-Fi will use less battery than 3g because your phone actively sends even small data pieces when it's on. 10% in three hours with 3g is a fair amount and it makes me wonder if your signal is weak. My phone has been off charge six hours, with everything on (Wi-Fi, bt, nfc, email sync, lte) and I have used it a bit for checking emails, going to the app store, reading some news, and I am currently at 84%.

battery8xsucks

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I can only dream about that kind of battery life, maybe I just got a defected battery?

My 3g signal is 4 bars out of 5 (most of the time, sometimes even 5 out of 5) and I repeat within those 3 hours I haven't got anything on - no syncing emails, nothing...the screen was locked. Also, I noticed that if I take like approx 20 photos with flash on, I lose like 3% of my battery just because of that. Now, it seems to me that if I micromanage my batter use and remember to turn off wifi/3g whenever I don't need it, I might get through the day (barely)...but what's the point of a new phone if I have to do all those things??

Anyway...I'm still looking for some reliable way to test my battery. Anyone got an idea/willing to help me out?

btw. it was at 97% percent 5 hrs ago... 3hours of 3g connection in a standby mode, some wifi surfing (10 mins at most), listening to music via music app (25 mins approx) and 20 photos later...i'm at 72% currently...really doubt that's normal :/

oh and i can't post here via IE on my 8x, when i tap to start typing the keyboard just goes away...very frustrating

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
btw. it was at 97% percent 5 hrs ago... 3hours of 3g connection in a standby mode, some wifi surfing (10 mins at most), listening to music via music app (25 mins approx) and 20 photos later...i'm at 72% currently...really doubt that's normal :/

That really doesn't sound that bad. If it was streaming music, that uses some and 20 photos (if they were flash) would use some. Also, a new phone battery takes a week or two to get conditioned to full capacity. Some people say to run it down all the way when you first get it, then charge it up fully. Don't know if that will really help or not. But what you don't want to do is keep running your battery down when you can keep it charged up. Li-ion batteries have a limited cycle and that will shorten the life of the battery.

battery8xsucks

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
No, it wasn't streaming music, it was played locally through the built-in app. I've just downloaded battery stats app and will see what it tells me about my hourly battery consumption. Currently 3g (5bars) is on with battery app and whatsapp in the background and music playing through the beforementioned app.

battery8xsucks

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I doubt it, for me personally the biggest battery hog was that damn HTC hub app or whatever it's called, whatsapp doesn't seem to be draining the battery (that much, at least). The first two days I didn't even have whatsapp installed and I was losing battery like crazy (sth like 30% in 2 hrs with 3g on from time to time).
I really wish I went for the new Xperia Z (it would have cost me like 60-70 bucks more but I feel that I would be a lot more happy with it)

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
HTC hub and disable NFC (Tap+send)...it kills battery big time (enable when you need it, don't leave it on all the time)....I get 3 days with moderate use....

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
A lot of things affect battery life, including 3g signal strength, background tasks, email accounts, etc. In general, Wi-Fi will use less battery than 3g because your phone actively sends even small data pieces when it's on. 10% in three hours with 3g is a fair amount and it makes me wonder if your signal is weak. My phone has been off charge six hours, with everything on (Wi-Fi, bt, nfc, email sync, lte) and I have used it a bit for checking emails, going to the app store, reading some news, and I am currently at 84%.

Background tasks hardly contribute to battery loss, contrary to popular belief. Each syncs once every half hour, so it's not continuous and therefore doesn't affect battery life much. Even a large amount of them will barely affect it because of this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers