Notifications

andymac1966

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Morning Folks,
I'm new to the forum and WP8 on the HTC 8x, so will no doubt have a few questions :grin:

My previous phone was an iPhone 4S, and I'm finding the 8x a refreshing change. However I wondered if there's any way to have notifications such as SMS and Email come up on the phones screen when it's in standby. I hear an audible notification, but with the iPhone (and Android) a brief notification would also come up on the screen without having to press the button at the top of the phone.

Thanks,
Andy

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
you can set one of the notification to show details, but you would have to pick either be the email or message. However when message comes in, the phone will lite up and send a toast on top of the screen with 1 line of sentence.

andymac1966

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Huime,

So you can only set the phone to show a notification for one message type app. Probably SMS will be the best for me. Hopefully this is something that MS could update in the software - I've seen some threads on here about a Notification Centre...
I'll change the settings for SMS and see how it goes.

Andy

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Under Settings/Lockscreen, you can select five different app to show up in the little "toasts" on the lockscreen. So it will show if you have a new email, sms, FB notification, etc. You can also set up one app to see the detailed status on the lockscreen. Like the text of a text message or the next calendar appointment.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
So if I set email as the detail notification I will get toast notifications at the top of the screen when I get an email? I've always gotten toast notifications with text messages, but never email.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I don't call the popup at the top of the screen a toast. Maybe it is, don't know for sure. I call the small icons at the bottom of the screen toasts. I don't think you can put emails at the top, but you can have the last text show up at the bottom, in addition to the little toast icon.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
So if I set email as the detail notification I will get toast notifications at the top of the screen when I get an email? I've always gotten toast notifications with text messages, but never email.

Nah, you won't get toasts for emails. You can get detailed email where generally calendar appointments appear under the clock on lock screen.

I don't call the popup at the top of the screen a toast. Maybe it is, don't know for sure. I call the small icons at the bottom of the screen toasts. I don't think you can put emails at the top, but you can have the last text show up at the bottom, in addition to the little toast icon.

The thing that comes on top of screen (1 line) is toast by design language.
The icons at the bottom of the screen are lock screen notifications and what comes inside on the tiles is tile count.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Nah, you won't get toasts for emails. You can get detailed email where generally calendar appointments appear under the clock on lock screen.

The thing that comes on top of screen (1 line) is toast by design language.
The icons at the bottom of the screen are lock screen notifications and what comes inside on the tiles is tile count.

That's what I thought. I really wish we could get toasts for emails. That's a big omission in my opinion.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
That's what I thought. I really wish we could get toasts for emails. That's a big omission in my opinion.

Be assured every design decision was well thought out.

Privacy is a concern, but I think the bigger factor was frequency of emails. How many emails does the average user get every 30 minutes? How many different email accounts does the average user have?

A typical business user would be getting a ridiculous amount of toast notifications....

andymac1966

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the help on this, looks like I am getting the SMS notifications at the tops of the screen all the time, but it's so quick there's rarely time to see what's there, so end up having to wake the phone up etc. Would be good if there was a way to set a duration time.

I can see the point regarding numbers of emails coming through & privacy, however what I would like is to see something visual on my lock screen and a better way to access the phone than having to use the top power button all the time. Sounds like a small thing to go on about, but I think this is something that iOS and Android do much better and when you get used to that way of working it's difficult to have to adjust.

Andy

Jaafar Jabbar

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Yea but I would have preferred having some control over what notifications NOT be shown. It sucks when the notification shows a private SMS on TOP of the screen even when it's LOCKED :-/ or even if I have given the phone to someone else to make a call etc..I want some information pass protected and not be available to anyone who sees/uses my phone :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett