I purchased a HTC 8X that was imported from the US to me here in Canada. T Mobile version (as I need AWS frequency), and I currently use it on the WIND Mobile network.
    For more than two months, I have used the device to tether to my iPhone, iPad and Nexus 7 (getting an affordable data plan for the iPhone in Canada is impossible, hence having to tether. Wind Mobile provides unlimited data - but doesnt work with iphone - so the tethering has been all good).
    I received the alert to update to the newer version of WP8.....which I did. Only to discover that this disabled my tethering. It was passing me on to the T Mobile upsell site. After searching furiously, I resigned myself to the fact that as its a T-Mo device, there is nothing I could do. Last night, through trial and error, I decided to just restore the phone to factory settings and voila, the tethering is working again!

A happy ending but I have a question. Does anybody know a way how in the future Incan still receive the updates while still keeping my ability to tether? It seems unfair that T Mobile can still determine my ability or otherwise to tether, even though I am not using their network!
    03-24-2013 08:25 AM
    I don't think its a carrier restriction, I sometimes lose the ability to tether and have to reset the phone to get it to work and I never had that issue before updating. I have everything on my plan to allow tethering (work pays for it), and still get the message that its not allowed sometimes. Also, I think that it won't allow you to tether unless you have 3+ bars, so make sure you have good reception.
    03-24-2013 11:19 AM
    Grea. thanks for the response. It was just weird that i never had this issue at all before, even when roaming. So as you say, it is likely the unfortunate result of this update. i will be very cautious before updating again in the future to future wp8 updates
    03-24-2013 01:54 PM
    A reset usually fixes the problem for me, did you try that before?
    03-24-2013 02:02 PM
    I had the same problem with my lumia 900 it was working fine , then i use app "Nokia Network" or something like that and then my internet sheering stopped working the only way to fix the issue was to reset the phone and after that no more problems :-) and did now try to experiment again with Nokia Network app :-)
    03-24-2013 02:14 PM