Thank you Nokia, now, play along HTC?

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Likeothers have said my 8X has had 3 or 4 updates since I bought it in December,and I?m pretty sure Portico came out first on the 8X. Couple that with the fact that the only issue I have is a mysterious reboot once every couple of weeks,and I would say the 8X is no more buggy or unsupported than a Nokia phone.Cudos to HTC for making a pretty solid phone, and keeping it up to date.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
as far as we can tell from the forum, 8X has all the problem 920 has. WP8 is just buggy enough make everyone looks bad at the moment.
I have two 8X, Ativ S and sold a Lumia 920 I had. The Nokia is absolutely the worst, software wise. The hardware of the 920 is clearly the most advanced, but the thing tends to be a basket case because of the numerous software bugs. The unlocked, unbranded HSPA+ 8X with 16Gb is clearly the most reliable WP8 software wise, with the Ativ S from Samsung being very close. The 8X may suffer a battery drain like twice a month, restart and all goes back to normal. The Ativ S sometimes reboots, seemingly because it looses the carrier signal abruptly. But the battery drain and reboot could also be related to a service that runs itself into and never ending loop. Here HTC and Samsung might have decided to keep going or to reboot. With the Samsung Ativ S I removed my SIM pin, the Ativ S reboots so fast that this way I would hardly miss a call. Then problem wise, some 8X discolor, some Ativ S have their cameras fail. Like all WP8 devices, some reboot all the time cause either the memory or SOC is defective. The L920 ads unsharp pictures in sunlight, dust on the front camera or display, camera crashes while taking pictures, random battery performance, flickering screen brightness, failing touch, frequent freezes (mine had 1 to 3 per day). The Nokia 920 is a joke quality wise. (I am not saying that all 920 are bad, but too many are.)

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Compare to 8X, 920 doesnt seem to have unique problem software wise.
Everything is equivalent to each other,
All common symptoms suspect to be from WP8.
Reboots, bricks, battery drain, notification bizarre, wifi issues, LTE/3G connectivity, lagging, high failure rate after update/reset, anything you can name it you will find them in both forum.
Not that Nokia fix them even tho they pushed more updates, but the fact that based on fail result on both sides, Nokia paid more effort to it.

I don't think those are specific to WP8. I can't directly compare the 8X to lumia 920 or any other lumia device out there. But most of those problems either points to faulty drivers(in firmware and/or radio drivers) or defects in hw. I don't experience lagging and the notifications stuff is so dependent on other servers and apps that I cant blame the OS for it.

For one thing the 8X seams to have a SIM problem that is causing the reboots and sometime battery drains. As for lumia line I can't comment. But I can't blame the os for htc fault in the SIM tray

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have two 8X, Ativ S and sold a Lumia 920 I had. The Nokia is absolutely the worst, software wise. The hardware of the 920 is clearly the most advanced, but the thing tends to be a basket case because of the numerous software bugs. The unlocked, unbranded HSPA+ 8X with 16Gb is clearly the most reliable WP8 software wise, with the Ativ S from Samsung being very close. The 8X may suffer a battery drain like twice a month, restart and all goes back to normal. The Ativ S sometimes reboots, seemingly because it looses the carrier signal abruptly. But the battery drain and reboot could also be related to a service that runs itself into and never ending loop. Here HTC and Samsung might have decided to keep going or to reboot. With the Samsung Ativ S I removed my SIM pin, the Ativ S reboots so fast that this way I would hardly miss a call. Then problem wise, some 8X discolor, some Ativ S have their cameras fail. Like all WP8 devices, some reboot all the time cause either the memory or SOC is defective. The L920 ads unsharp pictures in sunlight, dust on the front camera or display, camera crashes while taking pictures, random battery performance, flickering screen brightness, failing touch, frequent freezes (mine had 1 to 3 per day). The Nokia 920 is a joke quality wise. (I am not saying that all 920 are bad, but too many are.)

Actually with the forum sample here, 8X does seems to have higher failure in percentage. You are probably one of those got bad luck with a 920. However I fix phone for part time, and i get equal amohunt of broken units from both phone series. Lumia series especially the 920 does suffers bad assemble and bad parts but the 4/10 of the reboots 8X are due to toast main board. Wihile I cant tell what fried these 8X but the fact that both phone are equals in manufacturing quality.

Rndomuser

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Speaking about Lumia's latest firmware - you guys should read the front page... Many people had various issues with it (connectivity issues, the "storage check" option not appearing or crashing, phone overheating and draining up battery, etc.) - Nokia has stopped distributing it and are working on a fix and some people who already screwed their Lumia 920's witn it had to manually re-flash it back to previous firmware...

17carter

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I have had the 8x about 1 month. have had no problems until today, had a lot of reboots but I had downloaded a few apps last night. uninstalled them back to normal. Must say I am very happy with this phone can from android. Since the first Droid (vzw) wp8 is so smooth all the time beats audio is great with the studio headphones, but im a bass person only bad thing about this phone is the camera is not all that great

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos