04-05-2013 09:47 PM
27 12
tools
    Nokia released a substantial firmware update today, nobody really knows what it fixed as of yet, as many are coming up with different points.

Anyone think we will get treated to this lovely updating goodness for our neglected HTC's ?
    03-27-2013 05:00 PM
    Nokia released a substantial firmware update today, nobody really knows what it fixed as of yet, as many are coming up with different points.
    As far as I know, they've received a storage checking tool, camera improvements and the abiltiy to empty the "Other storage".

Anyone think we will get treated to this lovely updating goodness for our neglected HTC's ?
    I hope not. I would be really angry... This Lumia exclusive app issue is already killing my nerves...
    03-27-2013 05:37 PM
    As far as I know, they've received a storage checking tool, camera improvements and the abiltiy to empty the "Other storage".

I hope not. I would be really angry... This Lumia exclusive app issue is already killing my nerves...
    Same here, i don't bother when its something that I could live without, but when its a big issue like the other storage issue, its not something we "want" its something we "NEED"!
    03-27-2013 05:56 PM
    Same here, i don't bother when its something that I could live without, but when its a big issue like the other storage issue, its not something we "want" its something we "NEED"!
    Exactly! I hope GDR2 update will contain it.
    03-28-2013 04:08 AM
    The other storage is mostly IE cache which you can empty and also maps, which you can delete. GDR2 should fix the other storage problems due to leaks, but will leave it to you to empty the IE cache and also let you manage your maps.
    dol4er likes this.
    03-28-2013 05:57 AM
    That's bad. I knew I shouldn't buy HTC. Never trusted this company. And never bought anything from them. The only HTC I had , was HD7 , which I bought for development needs. Wanted to skip Nokia, because of previous bad experience with two Lumia 800. I bought 8X. I really like it because it lighter, looks better. But! 8X has less storage, worse camera, awful support in terms of custom applications from vendor. And it seems I am going to switch to Lumia 920.
    8X will be my last mistake with HTC
    03-28-2013 11:01 AM
    That's bad. I knew I shouldn't buy HTC. Never trusted this company. And never bought anything from them. The only HTC I had , was HD7 , which I bought for development needs. Wanted to skip Nokia, because of previous bad experience with two Lumia 800. I bought 8X. I really like it because it lighter, looks better. But! 8X has less storage, worse camera, awful support in terms of custom applications from vendor. And it seems I am going to switch to Lumia 920.
    8X will be my last mistake with HTC ����
    Same here!!!!
    03-28-2013 12:59 PM
    HTC just released a mysterious firmware update the other day, so we aren't neglected and I don't think that'll be the case with the 8X.
    03-28-2013 01:01 PM
    HTC just released a mysterious firmware update the other day, so we aren't neglected and I don't think that'll be the case with the 8X.
    I didn't receive any updates for a while now. Maybe it was a carrier specific hotfix or something...
    03-28-2013 02:10 PM
    HTC has been the fastest on releasing Firmware updates and Portico. HTC has some new software that enables them to better analyze customer data and feedback. A software option from SAP which Nokia did not buy... I know for sure... Ok. This is why HTC has been so quick to respond with fixes for their unlocked and unbranded devices. Now if your device is tied to a carrier, the carrier has to approve his carrier specific firmware and MS updates.
    03-29-2013 05:44 PM
    HTC has been the fastest on releasing Firmware updates and Portico. HTC has some new software that enables them to better analyze customer data and feedback. A software option from SAP which Nokia did not buy... I know for sure... Ok. This is why HTC has been so quick to respond with fixes for their unlocked and unbranded devices. Now if your device is tied to a carrier, the carrier has to approve his carrier specific firmware and MS updates.
    Nokia has their own in house feedback and user tracking app too. In fact the new features are exclusive to Lumias.
    03-29-2013 07:27 PM
    I thought I made the right move in the beginning getting the 8x on vzw because I didn't want a mid range 822, but if a yellow 928 comes out for vzw, I'll be taking one of my family upgrade!
    03-29-2013 10:11 PM
    Nokia has their own in house feedback and user tracking app too. In fact the new features are exclusive to Lumias.
    The SAP module extension that HTC purchased is state of the art... Gives HTC a clear advantage. But sure, if Nokia uses SAP they could also get it.
    04-02-2013 03:19 PM
    The SAP module extension that HTC purchased is state of the art... Gives HTC a clear advantage. But sure, if Nokia uses SAP they could also get it.
    talking about state of art, Lumias received more service update than WP8 series.
    04-02-2013 07:19 PM
    talking about state of art, Lumias received more service update than WP8 series.
    This is a 2 edge sword. For one side you can say that you receive more updates but you can also say that their products are more buggy and need so much updates to work.
    04-02-2013 07:35 PM
    This is a 2 edge sword. For one side you can say that you receive more updates but you can also say that their products are more buggy and need so much updates to work.
    as far as we can tell from the forum, 8X has all the problem 920 has. WP8 is just buggy enough make everyone looks bad at the moment.
    04-02-2013 07:57 PM
    The other storage is mostly IE cache which you can empty and also maps, which you can delete. GDR2 should fix the other storage problems due to leaks, but will leave it to you to empty the IE cache and also let you manage your maps.
    My other is 3,01 GB. When I empty IE cache it comes down to 2,99GB. Mostly IE? Don't think so...
    04-03-2013 02:08 AM
    as far as we can tell from the forum, 8X has all the problem 920 has. WP8 is just buggy enough make everyone looks bad at the moment.
    Like the other storage? Because the rest of problems I believe to be OEM specific. And even if they would both have the same problems they are having the same problems without htc needing to make update after update
    04-03-2013 02:30 AM
    I've had about 3 or 4 updates for mine since I got it in November - I think that's pretty good.
    04-03-2013 07:25 AM
    Compare to 8X, 920 doesnt seem to have unique problem software wise.
    Everything is equivalent to each other,
    All common symptoms suspect to be from WP8.
    Reboots, bricks, battery drain, notification bizarre, wifi issues, LTE/3G connectivity, lagging, high failure rate after update/reset, anything you can name it you will find them in both forum.
    Not that Nokia fix them even tho they pushed more updates, but the fact that based on fail result on both sides, Nokia paid more effort to it.
    04-03-2013 09:13 AM
    Likeothers have said my 8X has had 3 or 4 updates since I bought it in December,and Im pretty sure Portico came out first on the 8X. Couple that with the fact that the only issue I have is a mysterious reboot once every couple of weeks,and I would say the 8X is no more buggy or unsupported than a Nokia phone.Cudos to HTC for making a pretty solid phone, and keeping it up to date.
    04-03-2013 01:44 PM
    I have two 8X, Ativ S and sold a Lumia 920 I had. The Nokia is absolutely the worst, software wise. The hardware of the 920 is clearly the most advanced, but the thing tends to be a basket case because of the numerous software bugs. The unlocked, unbranded HSPA+ 8X with 16Gb is clearly the most reliable WP8 software wise, with the Ativ S from Samsung being very close. The 8X may suffer a battery drain like twice a month, restart and all goes back to normal. The Ativ S sometimes reboots, seemingly because it looses the carrier signal abruptly. But the battery drain and reboot could also be related to a service that runs itself into and never ending loop. Here HTC and Samsung might have decided to keep going or to reboot. With the Samsung Ativ S I removed my SIM pin, the Ativ S reboots so fast that this way I would hardly miss a call. Then problem wise, some 8X discolor, some Ativ S have their cameras fail. Like all WP8 devices, some reboot all the time cause either the memory or SOC is defective. The L920 ads unsharp pictures in sunlight, dust on the front camera or display, camera crashes while taking pictures, random battery performance, flickering screen brightness, failing touch, frequent freezes (mine had 1 to 3 per day). The Nokia 920 is a joke quality wise. (I am not saying that all 920 are bad, but too many are.)
    Rndomuser likes this.
    04-04-2013 04:00 AM
    Compare to 8X, 920 doesnt seem to have unique problem software wise.
    Everything is equivalent to each other,
    All common symptoms suspect to be from WP8.
    Reboots, bricks, battery drain, notification bizarre, wifi issues, LTE/3G connectivity, lagging, high failure rate after update/reset, anything you can name it you will find them in both forum.
    Not that Nokia fix them even tho they pushed more updates, but the fact that based on fail result on both sides, Nokia paid more effort to it.
    I don't think those are specific to WP8. I can't directly compare the 8X to lumia 920 or any other lumia device out there. But most of those problems either points to faulty drivers(in firmware and/or radio drivers) or defects in hw. I don't experience lagging and the notifications stuff is so dependent on other servers and apps that I cant blame the OS for it.

For one thing the 8X seams to have a SIM problem that is causing the reboots and sometime battery drains. As for lumia line I can't comment. But I can't blame the os for htc fault in the SIM tray
    04-04-2013 04:17 AM
    I have two 8X, Ativ S and sold a Lumia 920 I had. The Nokia is absolutely the worst, software wise. The hardware of the 920 is clearly the most advanced, but the thing tends to be a basket case because of the numerous software bugs. The unlocked, unbranded HSPA+ 8X with 16Gb is clearly the most reliable WP8 software wise, with the Ativ S from Samsung being very close. The 8X may suffer a battery drain like twice a month, restart and all goes back to normal. The Ativ S sometimes reboots, seemingly because it looses the carrier signal abruptly. But the battery drain and reboot could also be related to a service that runs itself into and never ending loop. Here HTC and Samsung might have decided to keep going or to reboot. With the Samsung Ativ S I removed my SIM pin, the Ativ S reboots so fast that this way I would hardly miss a call. Then problem wise, some 8X discolor, some Ativ S have their cameras fail. Like all WP8 devices, some reboot all the time cause either the memory or SOC is defective. The L920 ads unsharp pictures in sunlight, dust on the front camera or display, camera crashes while taking pictures, random battery performance, flickering screen brightness, failing touch, frequent freezes (mine had 1 to 3 per day). The Nokia 920 is a joke quality wise. (I am not saying that all 920 are bad, but too many are.)
    Actually with the forum sample here, 8X does seems to have higher failure in percentage. You are probably one of those got bad luck with a 920. However I fix phone for part time, and i get equal amohunt of broken units from both phone series. Lumia series especially the 920 does suffers bad assemble and bad parts but the 4/10 of the reboots 8X are due to toast main board. Wihile I cant tell what fried these 8X but the fact that both phone are equals in manufacturing quality.
    ChMar likes this.
    04-04-2013 05:55 AM
    The 8X that have failing mainboards, are they LTE? We have the HSPA+ variant.
    04-05-2013 09:35 AM
27 12