I bought the phone yesterday. I got the 8gb version since I'm someone who doesn't really need much space. I got the phone with 3.6 gigabytes already used, which I'm guessing are due to the system necessities and other pre-installed applications. This leaves me with 4 gb of space. So I tried installing some apps, one of which was 700mb. As I proceeded to install it, I was greeted by a message suggesting that I have insufficient storage space, even though it clearly says I still have 4gb when I venture into the storage section in my phone settings. Does anyone know what could be the cause of this issue? Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    03-27-2013 05:17 PM
    This happens quite often. It's some issue with the installer. The installer itself is only 700MB, but when the OS "unpacks" it, it'll require more, than 700MB space. M$ should mention the real storage requirement of the specific app, rather than the installer size, what you'll download. Or maybe both.
    03-27-2013 05:40 PM
    Ah. I was thinking this was the case. They really should display the overall size of the file, rather than just the installer. Also, an application larger than 4 gigabytes is unacceptably too big.Thanks, I guess I'll just skip this particular app.
    03-27-2013 09:15 PM
    Maybe the overall size is not 4GB, maybe it's some software issue. But it's clear that M$ needs a solution for this annoying issue.
    03-28-2013 04:11 AM
    Maybe the overall size is not 4GB, maybe it's some software issue. But it's clear that M$ needs a solution for this annoying issue.
    Here here...
    Note that this is a Windows Phone 8 issue and not just an HTC 8x issue (albeit the 8GB of space is).
    I have the 16GB 8x and it does the same annoying thing.
    Why would anyone release a phone that doesn't have an microsd slot?
    Maybe the lack of a slot would be acceptable with 32GB of storage, but no less.
    JJ
    03-31-2013 05:28 PM
    Here here...
    Note that this is a Windows Phone 8 issue and not just an HTC 8x issue (albeit the 8GB of space is).
    I have the 16GB 8x and it does the same annoying thing.
    Why would anyone release a phone that doesn't have an microsd slot?
    Maybe the lack of a slot would be acceptable with 32GB of storage, but no less.
    JJ
    microsd expansion is ONLY good if you fill up all your space with videos, music, and documents. Otherwise, this problem still exists, since apps can't be installed to anything but internal storage. Even then, sometimes pictures and videos downloaded from the browser don't save to the SD card, and pdfs disappear on internal storage and don't appear to be delete-able. Problem lies in how WP handles files, it seems.

It's also unacceptable how a 700mb file won't install because it needs so much space to unpack the file. I think the actual app truly is 700mb and when fully installed will only take up 700 mb (or whatever is advertised) but Microsoft must tack on some huge overhead installer package or something,
    03-31-2013 06:00 PM