HERE drive beta battery drain and overheating

jedibeckett1

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys

Just want to ask if anyone else is having major battery drain and overheating whilst using nokia's HERE drive+? I still get battery drain and overheating even while my phone is charging.

wp_fan_central

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I was convinced Nokia drive was the battery prob culprit on my Lumia 710 - I went into settings, swiped right and blocked it from running in the background. Maybe coincidence, but battery was back to normal after.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
its pretty normal for phones to get hot and drain the battery while GPS navigating. It's actively using your GPS and has the display on, two things that use a lot of power.

lots of phones will have battery loss while doing GPS navigation even if being charged on a 500mA or 1A charger, try using a 2A charger and see if that's enough to stop battery drain. (this probably won't stop it from getting warm, charging makes it warm and so does heavy activity like gps and screen-on with processing)

PHW

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I am using my Nokia 820 almost 2 years with GPS navigation with a carcharger. Drove last year to France, about 8 hours with no problem at all. Just a few weeks ago, I discovered that the the phone stopped after about 2 hours. The battery was completely discharged. Reason? I am unsure. I am using the HERE DRIVE+ app since I got the update. Today I performed following test. Without the carcharger, I have been navigating for 1 hour. The battery discharged from 78% down to 54%. So GPS consumed about 396 mAmps. Another hour while navigating without the carcharger, battery discharged from 54% down to 30%. So GPS consumed again 396 mAmps. After that I connected the phone to the original Nokia 220V adapter. While navigating 1 hour the battery charged from 30% to 46% and while navigating another hour it charged from 46% to 65% and another 45 minutes from 65% up to 78%. In average it charged about 17% per hour corresponding with 280 mAmps. Which says that the car-adapter should have the ability to charge with more than 500 mAmps. 1 Amp seems to be a good choice. So my problem must be related to an improper functioning car-charger. Regards

spoonxii

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes! Drove to the beach and it drained it faster then it could charge - so even though I was plugged in it drained it dead - an it was super hot.

RN50

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Yep used it for a 20Mile trip and the phone was literally burning red hot and the battery went flat super quick.

plasmid_uk

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
It works fine for me using HERE Drive (not +).

GPS on, data connection OFF, and my battery goes up whilst driving on a long journey. If your data connection is on because you want traffic alerts etc. then that would be the root cause. Your car socket charger isn't a mains and so it's about as effective as charging your phone via a PC.

Amit Singh15

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I have found a solution for this.

1. Download maps for your area through wifi. Use offline navigation without data usage, works equally good and saves data too.
2. Disable other feature like- traffic info, speed limit warning, my commute etc
3. Activate battery saver mode.

Hope this works for you like it did for me.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I just tried HERE maps (really bad name) and bing maps (also really bad name). I was astonished to see that neither gives directions for bicycles. Are these people even trying? Is the whole MS/Nokia thing just a scam to make some quick money off people who don't know any better?

dsdmarin

Jan 24, 2008
Visit site
I have Lumia 928 and also an HTC 8x . I am not able to use any GPS application with out draining the battery, even while using a 2 amp charger..
I have tried every battery saving technique to get this to work. I am convinced its a hardware issue as when the GPS IS ACTIVE. It just consumes to much power and no matter what will drain your battery. I really don't understand why this is not addressed. Its possible to run a GPS and also charge the battery because when using my wifes 5S iPhone we never have issues.. Any answers?

Anyone know if the Icon works better?

Last edited:

danielgray

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I have had the same problem. Plugged into Nokia dual USB charger, to my L920. This should be 2A with 1 USB used, charging at 20% about the max, even with 2A 240v charger plugged in. Usage is more than 47% per hour. It is not possible to charge at this rate. The device is now not usable as a sat nav device. Plus app keeps crashing if you switch away to another app. Charging rate is rate shown by battery app. Max is about 22% charger rate, which is not right has phone doesn't take 5 hours to charge. But is a relevant to show phone is charging near max capacity. Here is a screenshot http://1drv.ms/1ndrYlX

mb0000

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem.
Nokia 1520.
Plugged in using Nokia CR-201 cable charger and sometimes wireless QI charger in cradle.

When I drive and have the thing on screen it uses more power than it charges. I can track with this a number of battery apps. It also has less % battery after a drive with the app going and navigating.
The battery saver is on but that only works when its in the background not foreground. Faulty app? faulty phone? faulty windows? faulty microsoft? also i'm on my 2nd phone, the first one has been replaced and had the same problem.

evillama

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I was going to start a new thread asking about the differences in 1A vs. 1.5A or 2.5A car chargers but this one seems to have a lot of answers (well, more questions left than answers).

I'm using a Qi cradle on a windshield mount and a separate Bluetooth-to-FM transmitter (two fabulous ideas, BTW) so I'm completely wireless in the car - I can use GPS while streaming music on my unlimited data plan. Unfortunately I'm finding that GPS navigation (HERE Drive+) will drain the power faster than it's charging (if I only stream music or news podcasts, the power drain/charge remains balanced).

My main question is though - the Qi charger says it's Output = 1A. Is this a limitation of wireless charging technology, or the adapter I'm using in the cigarette lighter socket? The Bluetooth-to-FM transmitter is always-on, plugged into the socket with a secondary USB charge port of 1.5A. I could get a splitter so I can use another 2.5A charger and plug the Qi into that, but I'm not sure if the "Output = 1A" is the bottleneck of charge into the phone?

In short, what is the true charge power through a Qi plate - is it limited to what the plate says, or what the socket charger says it will output to the phone?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss