Unusual battery drain

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else recently (as in the last two weeks) started seeing their battery drain faster than it did previously? I haven't applied any OS updates, but I've updated a number of apps. I'm running the portico release on Verizon. Twice in the last two weeks I've gotten to the "battery critically low" with no unusual usage and I've never seen that before unless I had really been using my phone and expecting to see it. Not sure how to troubleshoot what app, if it is an app, that might be causing it. Any ideas?

Thanks.

rich4A1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problem, only started this past weekend. Mine is from T-Mobile. I posted on a different thread on battery life.

dougger1977

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone else recently (as in the last two weeks) started seeing their battery drain faster than it did previously? I haven't applied any OS updates, but I've updated a number of apps. I'm running the portico release on Verizon. Twice in the last two weeks I've gotten to the "battery critically low" with no unusual usage and I've never seen that before unless I had really been using my phone and expecting to see it. Not sure how to troubleshoot what app, if it is an app, that might be causing it. Any ideas?

I was having a similar problem last week and I found that it was Yahoo Mail causing the issue. It was continually trying to synch and the only way I could get it to stop was to unlink the account. I just switched to an Outlook account and haven't tried to relink my Yahoo account to see if it's still causing trouble.

If you go under Settings ->Email + Accounts, you can see if your mail account is constantly synching.

Good luck!

dougger1977

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
You could also try a soft reset. That's also fixed my battery drain issues. Hold down on the power button and the down volume button for 10-15 seconds.

jedibeckett1

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed i get much less battery drain when i turn the location service off, its the difference between 1 day and 2 day battery life.

Vheissu

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I had a couple days of horrible battery life last week but it seems to have gone back to normal, this has happened to me before it seems like it took care of itself after a couple of days each time. A more worrying issue ive had over the last couple of days is some serious lag with the lockscreen/power button and with the home screen locking up for a few seconds.

Nick Archambault1

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here. Running an HTC 8x on Verizon and over the last two weeks have been noticing a difference.

Doubt they are linked but worth mentioning I have been getting a lot of "sim card" errors lately.

Love the OS but this phone is really testing my patience.

KeegdnaB42

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Same issue here. What popular apps have been released or updated in the last couple weeks or so because one of them could be doing something weird. My first thoughts were either Skype or Temple Run, nearly of which I'd really like to uninstall but I may have to in order to find out.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Same issue here. What popular apps have been released or updated in the last couple weeks or so because one of them could be doing something weird. My first thoughts were either Skype or Temple Run, nearly of which I'd really like to uninstall but I may have to in order to find out.

Skype is not the root problem. I checked already, and battery drain still occurred.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a Yahoo account and I just changed my Outlook account to only check every 30 minutes instead of as items arrive. I thought it could be background tasks and I had a few apps set to allow to run in the background that I hadn't realized were set that way and disabled the ones I don't need (most of them). I have TuneIn radio installed but haven't used it recently (probably at least a month). My wife, who also has an 8X said she's noticed at home that our signal with Verizon is not nearly as strong as it used to be, but I'm at work most of the day. Could it be a network issue?

I'm going to try a soft reset in addition to disabling the background tests. If I figure something out, I'll post an update.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a Yahoo account and I just changed my Outlook account to only check every 30 minutes instead of as items arrive. I thought it could be background tasks and I had a few apps set to allow to run in the background that I hadn't realized were set that way and disabled the ones I don't need (most of them). I have TuneIn radio installed but haven't used it recently (probably at least a month). My wife, who also has an 8X said she's noticed at home that our signal with Verizon is not nearly as strong as it used to be, but I'm at work most of the day. Could it be a network issue?

I'm going to try a soft reset in addition to disabling the background tests. If I figure something out, I'll post an update.
Setting your email to "as items arrive" I've noticed is actually better for your phone's battery than you think. Instead of syncing once and having to retrieve loads of messages at that time, it syncs only a few messages at a time, thus saving juice.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Do you have any Nokia transportation or navigation apps. They were also updated recently. Also, I just realized that my Kids Corner was on and I thought I turned off. Lastly go to settings,swipe to applications and then tap internet explorer. Click delete history. Delete your maps/navigation history as well. If you use other 3rd party browsers, delete or clear their history, cookies, and cache. Make sure that you have backed out of all apps. And try leaving location off until you absolutely need it. Hope it gets better soon. :)

rich4A1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. It does help a lot, although I don't understand why. The phone actually went off once due to low battery, but apparently you need to turn it off and turn it on again.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Just a bit of follow up. I did the following: disabled background tasks for pretty much everything I can, except Nokia drive. I did a soft reset as well. Since then, no issues at all. It only happened sporadically anyway, so who knows what the real issue was, but I'm glad it's resolved.

TimD7000

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Hello.

I am / was having the same trouble, have had my phone for a week on Verizon. I would go to bed around 11:30pm, set alarm on phone and the battery was at 99%. I would wake up in the AM about 7 - 730 and it would be in the mid 60s. I always had the bump thingy and XBOX conncet off and the wifi set to be off when in lock screen After deleting certain apps like whatsapp, I never had skype I found that it never made a difference. Even battery saver mode on didn't seem to matter.

What I found after much reading and just about to take back a phone that wouldn't make it past 3pm was an article about LTE.

Why LTE sucks (your battery, that is) — Tech News and Analysis

It seems that the way LTE works uses allot of battery doing its thing. Some phones give you the options in setting to just use 3G but I don't believe you can on Verizon, at least with the 8X. Last night going to bed I turned off the data, if you still have WiFi this isn't a problem, and had the saver mode on, may as well as who need all the updates when you are dreaming. Charge again was full and when I woke up it was at 94%. Big difference. I have not turned data on yet and have reinstalled whats app and used a few times. 4 hours later battery is at 82%.

You can still call, make and receive texts with no LTE on.The only downside to this whole thing is that when not on WiFi you could keep LTE off and just turn it on when you want to check stuff. I agree we should have to go through this but it is the world we live in when a phone is no longer just for making calls.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion