Opinions Needed - Phone specific

NickNick43

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
This isn't really a phone war so hopefully this is the right place. Long story short I signed up for Verizon service coming from T-Mo and an HTC One S. I also had a Lumia 710. So when I signed with Verizon I started with a Lumia 822. The form factor was just too blocky after getting used to a sleek ultra thin phone like the One S. BUT, I loved the stability of WP7.5 and 8. I couldn't get past the form factor so I went with the RAZR M within my 14 day "trial" period. I have had about 8-10 restarts in 2 weeks, many in the middle of the night, causing me to miss an alarm. This phone is reminding me of Android 2.3, seems to have a mind of it's own.

So I posted for trade and have had multiple people offer me their 8x with case, box, charger, the whole shebang. Questions and opinions on below:

-Is there finish quality issues with the black models
-How many of you are experiencing reboots and freezes
-Is there a 3rd party app that really cleans out the "other" space, I know Nokia just released one but I'm sure it is Lumia only. I need the space for music so I don't eat up data streaming it
-Would you make the trade?
-Would you instead try to trade for 822 + cash and just deal with the "blockiness"

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
OK here goes.
Have had a black 8X since November its always in my jeans pocket when im out and about and its on my desk most of the day, always in my pocket at home. No issues with the finish
Have not had a reboot or freeze since portico update
No 3rd party app but I have found using explorer to delete music folders that aren't in use on the phone and just clearing the caches for internet etc keeps my other down low.
No wouldn't trade my 8X for any other phone on the market
As above.

Hope this helps - there is bound to be someone out there with the other side of the coin though.

NickNick43

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
OK here goes.
Have had a black 8X since November its always in my jeans pocket when im out and about and its on my desk most of the day, always in my pocket at home. No issues with the finish
Have not had a reboot or freeze since portico update
No 3rd party app but I have found using explorer to delete music folders that aren't in use on the phone and just clearing the caches for internet etc keeps my other down low.
No wouldn't trade my 8X for any other phone on the market
As above.

Hope this helps - there is bound to be someone out there with the other side of the coin though.

Appreciate it. The form factor of the phone is amazing. Do you find yourself ever wanting any of the Nokia apps or lenses? I like Nokia music but I have to watch my data now on Verizon so that isn't an issue and the 8x has Here Drive now which I would use. Thoughts?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
This isn't really a phone war so hopefully this is the right place. Long story short I signed up for Verizon service coming from T-Mo and an HTC One S. I also had a Lumia 710. So when I signed with Verizon I started with a Lumia 822. The form factor was just too blocky after getting used to a sleek ultra thin phone like the One S. BUT, I loved the stability of WP7.5 and 8. I couldn't get past the form factor so I went with the RAZR M within my 14 day "trial" period. I have had about 8-10 restarts in 2 weeks, many in the middle of the night, causing me to miss an alarm. This phone is reminding me of Android 2.3, seems to have a mind of it's own.

So I posted for trade and have had multiple people offer me their 8x with case, box, charger, the whole shebang. Questions and opinions on below:

-Is there finish quality issues with the black models
-How many of you are experiencing reboots and freezes
-Is there a 3rd party app that really cleans out the "other" space, I know Nokia just released one but I'm sure it is Lumia only. I need the space for music so I don't eat up data streaming it
-Would you make the trade?
-Would you instead try to trade for 822 + cash and just deal with the "blockiness"

I've had a blue 8x since November! Here goes..

- this is my 3rd phone (took a week to get it right) because of raised glass issues. I keep mine in the case all the time, occasionally take it out to show off its beauty. In those couple times taking it out I have experienced slight wear on one of the corners. Almost unnoticeable though. I'm not sure how different the black will be.
- I'm not experiencing reboots or freezes. Just occasional hiccups (just as any phone will get)
- no app I an think of. I reset my phones every couple months though by habit. I like a fresh phone.
- my dad has the 822. So I've set it up and spent a lot of time with it. I like my 8x better but the Nokia apps are pretty cool. The 8x is much smaller feeling and much lighter feeling. The screen on the 8x is incredible! Trust me the 822 is nice, but the 8x is so sharp with great colors! Idk if that's enough for a trade to you but I don't like big phones so I would. (looking back at the question are you trading the 822 or the razr for the 8x? I would do it either way)
- cash is always nice. A lot more useful than two phones. Up to you and your financial situation.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Not really im not that much of a photophile so the Nokia apps and lenses didn't really appeal to me. For the occasional snap the 8x is more than capable, it was the front facing camera that swung the 8x my way as I use Skype video calling quite a lot. As for Nokia music I have an Xbox music pass so I can download whatever I want.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Not really im not that much of a photophile so the Nokia apps and lenses didn't really appeal to me. For the occasional snap the 8x is more than capable, it was the front facing camera that swung the 8x my way as I use Skype video calling quite a lot. As for Nokia music I have an Xbox music pass so I can download whatever I want.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

I found the 8x camera much better than the 822! Its an amazing still photo camera but videos are atrocious! And yes the front facing on the 8x is fantastic!

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the input. I think I might make the switch back. Is there an ESPN app for the 8x or is that still a Lumia exclusive?
yep. There is the reg ESPN app. I get toast alerts now and the large live tile keeps you uptodate with your fav team.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the input. I think I might make the switch back. Is there an ESPN app for the 8x or is that still a Lumia exclusive?

ESPN has their own app for all Windows Phones to include the 8x. The exclusive ESPN app for the Lumia is a different version. Not sure of the differences in the two apps. As far as the 8x, up until l dropped my 8x on the concrete last week and the glass shattered, it has been a great phone. No issues with freezing and I am not aware of any finish issues with the black version. All the finish issues that I have read about were the blue version of the phone, unless someone else can clarify. If it wasn't for the rumors of the imminent release of the Lumia 928, I would not be hesitating to get a new 8x. I have been trying to hold out to get the full specs of the 928 compared to the 8x, so I can decide on which to get. If the specs are better and it isn't an ugly phone I go for the 928. If not I stick with the 8x.

NickNick43

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I really like the positive feedback. On most forums you only see negatives (like my posts on the RAZR M forums, haha) I was on WP7.5 for about 9 months and the form factor of the One S took me away from it.

Have any of you come from Android or iOS? Is there anything you miss about them. I really like Google Now and the battery life of the RAZR but boy do I just hate watching my phone freeze and reset all the time. Plus I have been using Outlook.com (live mail) and their calendar and people app for about a year now.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I really like the positive feedback. On most forums you only see negatives (like my posts on the RAZR M forums, haha) I was on WP7.5 for about 9 months and the form factor of the One S took me away from it.

Have any of you come from Android or iOS? Is there anything you miss about them. I really like Google Now and the battery life of the RAZR but boy do I just hate watching my phone freeze and reset all the time. Plus I have been using Outlook.com (live mail) and their calendar and people app for about a year now.

The only thing I miss from ios is the fox news app let me stream live news and business news. No other device has that. The DirecTV app is better as well as the twitter app. After that, WP all the way.

NickNick43

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Cool. Can you all chime in on your average battery life for an average user say 4-5 emails, light browsing 30 min talk time, and say 20-30 texts.

Also anything to look for with an early run phone? Guy offered an 8x with otter box for my RAZR m and said he got it when it first came out and hasn't had issues. Is HTC a pain to work with for manufacturer defect?

Westiemom

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I came from Android, it's all I've ever had. Last 3 phones were HTC Incredible, Motorola Droid Bionic (loved it) and the Galaxy Nexus (hated it - always losing connectivity and so missed calls, texts,etc. - had to reboot constantly.) decided to make a giant leap of faith for an Anfroid fan and try a new OS. Could not possibly be happier and don't miss anything. Like any phone, it's possible to get a lemon and I know some have gotten a lemon 8x, but that's the minority. I have had mine since the first week of January and am happy with battery life, app availability ( any apps important to me I've been able to get), reliability (great!), excellent call quality, fantastic screen I could stare at all day, beautiful form - you get the point. I'm a fan! Don't think I could go back to Android. Just my opinion, for what it's worth. :)

Oh yes, you asked about battery life. People have had different results, but my experience is this. Since the Portico update I can take my phone off the charging pad around 5:30 to 6:00 a.m., make a few calls, a few texts, stream music on Pandora at my desk at work for around 4 hours total time, check Facebook occasionally, look up a thing or two on the browser - then go home in the evening and pretty much stay on Weave news app, a few WSJ Live videos, and more texts and maybe a call and about 9:30 p.m. when I put the phone back on the charging pad I usually have around 40% to 45% battery left. I'm very happy with that. I was used to having to charge my phone sometime in the afternoon most days before, so this is quite good in my opinion.

NickNick43

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
That is fantastic battery life. I'm doing about the same with the bigger battery on the RAZR M. Also glad to hear that portico improved some things. I think I'm gonna make the trade tomorrow... stay tuned.

Nick Archambault1

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I have had the 8x for about two months now. While I do like the sleek look of the phone and the overall quickness (switching between apps/screens) I would not recommend it with Verizon.

I have heard they are coming out with an update to address the lack of group messaging but right now its missing. Furthermore I have had issue's with the "sim card", something a lot of Verizon 8x owners have been complaining about.

Right now I would say go with an iphone 5 or wait till the 928 comes out.

NickNick43

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
@Nick thanks for the heads up. Hopefully they do fix it because:

This evening making the change to HTC 8x in black with Otterbox for my RAZR M. Hopefully this will end my wheel of phones since joining Verizon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)